The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Confused

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

Westy
Posted 2012-02-24 8:59 AM (#450927)
Subject: Confused

I am very interested in buying my first Ovation as a novice/intermediate player ready for an upgrade from my battered Fender. I like the concept of the OPI-1 as I think it will help my playing but is this the best option with regards the quality and features of the pre-amp. I am in Western Australia and struggling to find local expertise who can put me in the right direction. The budget is about $2000 so what is the best all-round Ovation guitar.
Chris
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Nick B.
Posted 2012-02-24 11:22 AM (#450937 - in reply to #450927)
Subject: Re: Confused

Hi Chris. You've asked one of the most difficult questions to answer...at least for me it is. The best bet is for you play some of the better Ovations and perhaps a used Adamas or two before you make up your mind. There's quite a few OFC members from down under and hopefully one of them can direct you to a stocking dealer. If you'd like to be able to post to the other forums, just let a moderator know.
Welcome to the group!
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2012-02-24 4:56 PM (#450953 - in reply to #450927)

Well here is a somewhat "checklist" to help you. Even if you can find a store that has only the import line, find the best feeling and sounding guitar for you. Look for comfort and tone. The comfort items will be the neck and the bowl depth, and try to be pretty blind about it. Pick each guitar and sit in the same position and give it go. You also want to narrow down the tone. The biggest differences in real broad strokes are the bowl depth, and if it's a center hole or epaulettes. With those elements think about "fancy traditional" as in the bridge... fancy carved or plain. Headstock, traditional, slotted, or modern.

Once you narrow down which of those elements is most important, than it's time to go shopping for the best of lets say as example, "an epaulette top style guitar with a modern look and mid depth bowl." or maybe " a shallow bowl with a center hole" etc..

Once you make those kinds of leanings... come on back and chat with us. If you don't have access to a mega-store of some sort.. just go to the Ovation Website and look at the models keeping the above differences in mind. Narrow things down as best you can.. but the biggest elements will still be bowl depth, neck-width, epi or soundhole, and overall design from vintage to classic to modern.

Hope this helps a little
Westy
Posted 2012-02-24 6:13 PM (#450959 - in reply to #450927)

Thanks for replies but just wondering if you can give me your opinion on the pre-amps and if the OPI-1 is the best option. I cant find any local expertise and even the Australian imported wont return emails.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2012-02-24 6:24 PM (#450960 - in reply to #450927)

You now have the ability to post anywhere on the site. You might check out the Downunderes section as they are a popular group from all around your part of this big blue marble.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)