The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Ovation Guitars really don't get the respect they deserve!" - Alex Pepiak

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Anyone ever see inside an Ultra KII ?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

will
Posted 2012-02-23 3:14 PM (#450899)
Subject: Anyone ever see inside an Ultra KII ?

Hello everyone my name is Will. I am a professional guitarist in Canada. I stumbled upon an Ultra KII in mint shape (1980 brown burst). I had never heard of these things before even though I was around back when it was made. I bought it and have had it for about a week. I was wondering if anyone has ever seen the aluminum frame that is said to be inside? And... Is it really made of foam?
Thanks, Will.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Damon67
Posted 2012-02-23 3:32 PM (#450900 - in reply to #450899)
Subject: RE: Anyone ever see inside an Ultra KII ?

Welcome Will. I've been a UKII player for 30 years now (have 2 of 'em). I have only seen pictures of the frame, and yes, it's a hard foam, same stuff the old Applause necks were made of.

I bought mine new back in '82

Edited by damon67 2012-02-23 3:34 PM
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2012-02-23 5:47 PM (#450903 - in reply to #450899)
Subject: Re: Anyone ever see inside an Ultra KII ?

I have a badly torn up Bluebird body (which is essentially the same construction as the UKII) which I have been meaning for years to just cut in half for a "show'n tell" piece.

The easiest way to see the foam is take off the panel on the back of the controls cavity. Usually where the cover sets into the back it's pretty east to see it's a foam body.

My first UKII I knew nothing about. It wasn't until years later I found out how it was built. The "wood grain" looked so real, like a really tight Philippine Mahogany or the like. Anyway, once I found out, I would often leave the cover plate off as people would not believe me that it was foam.

will
Posted 2012-02-24 12:38 PM (#450941 - in reply to #450900)
Subject: RE: Anyone ever see inside an Ultra KII ?

Thank you both. The guitar in the picture with the strap on is very much like mine. Mine has all of the original parts (I think). I am still amazed at how great this guitar sounds. I use no effects and go right into the amp and I love the sound of it. I have been thinking of adding the pick guard, does anyone know where I could find one?
Thanks, Will.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)