The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
New member with new Celebrity CC057

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

wader
Posted 2012-02-21 9:11 PM (#450809)
Subject: New member with new Celebrity CC057

Hi Folks,

I'm an amateur player who enjoys my Seagull S6+ CW cedar acoustic, but my recent health history makes even that relatively moderate size guitar (with slightly wider fretboard) cause shoulder, neck, etc. discomfort after practices. nowadays.  I don't want to stop playing it, but decided to find a nice acoustic/electric with physical characterstics that would minimize discomfort from playing.

Admittedly, I've always thought that Ovations were rather unique and interesting, and coincidentally played with a friend's 10+ year-old shallow-bowl Ovation last month and found it very comfortable in all respects.  So, after some research, I just received a new (yes, new) Honey Burst Celebrity CC057 that was just gathering dust in a music store until they put it up on eBay.  I'll probably have questions here on adjustments, strings, etc. over time, but have been reading many threads here the past week and they have led me towards obtaining new accessories - including an in-case humidifier.

So, on to my first question for you kind readers: I was curious if anyone here has tried the Planet Waves string-hanging humidifier in a shallow-bowl Ovation such as my CC057, because I am currently favoring that style of sponge humidifier.

(Aside: I actually purchased a lightly used black CC057 from a local sale just before deciding on this new one, finding that I missed a slightly raised bridge during my on-hand inspection - after getting it newly strung and setup, a Luthier advised that the black guitar is in fine shape and not to worry about the bridge at this time, but since the opportunity for a new guitar of the same model and similar pricing arose . . . I decided to sell the black one.  Don't need two guitars, as much as I enjoy both.)

Thanks for your consideration.  Yes, I tend to ramble and apologize for such behavior.

- wader

Top of the page Bottom of the page
wader
Posted 2012-02-21 9:35 PM (#450813 - in reply to #450809)
Subject: Re: New member with new Celebrity CC057

Oh, just noticed that I can't seem to edit posts, so I'll add a picture of the new guitar here.

New Honey Burst CC057 in case

- wader

Nick B.
Posted 2012-02-21 9:43 PM (#450814 - in reply to #450809)

Hi Wader, Beautiful guitar. While I am a big believer in humidifiers, I have never used a the Planet Waves string-hanging humidifier. I've gotten excellent results with the Oasis and the trusty Dampit, but maybe someone that has used the Planet Waves will chime in.

EDIT: Forgot to say welcome to the group!

Edited by Nick B. 2012-02-21 9:46 PM
wader
Posted 2012-02-21 9:48 PM (#450815 - in reply to #450809)

Thanks Nick B, I have also considered the Dampit but wasn't sure how to handle that with this Celebrity - just place it inside the bowl, essentially?

It made me nervous to have the actual sponge possibly contacting this spruce top from the inside if its case was tipped. But, they apparently use Dampits in wood instruments of various types, so perhaps my fears are unfounded.

- wader

Old Man Arthur
Posted 2012-02-21 9:51 PM (#450817 - in reply to #450809)
Subject: RE: New member with new Celebrity CC057

wader - 2012-02-21 7:11 PM

So, on to my first question for you kind readers: I was curious if anyone here has tried the Planet Waves string-hanging humidifier in a shallow-bowl Ovation such as my CC057, because I am currently favoring that style of sponge humidifier.

Just so long as you realize that that sponge will dry-out pretty quickly. But yeah, that should work just fine.
I use Herco clay in-case humidifiers.
One of these days I need to get one of those Oasis thingies.

Pretty guitar.
Nick B.
Posted 2012-02-21 9:58 PM (#450819 - in reply to #450815)

wader - 2012-02-21 9:48 PM It made me nervous to have the actual sponge possibly contacting this spruce top from the inside if its case was tipped. But, they apparently use Dampits in wood instruments of various types, so perhaps my fears are unfounded. - wader

As long as you remove any excess water from the Dampit, you're okay.  I lightly wringe mine out and then wipe down the exterior before placing it in the guitar and never had a problem.  Just make sure that water can't drip from it and you should be okay.

wader
Posted 2012-02-21 10:04 PM (#450822 - in reply to #450809)

Hm, I wonder if a Herco style would fit near or under the headstock in this Ovation super-shallow case.

Thanks for your advice and welcome, folks - I have some music-shop travels to make this week, it seems.

. . .

With so many models to consider, I can see purchasing Ovations becoming a compulsive habit if this guitar grows on me.

- wader
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2012-02-21 11:40 PM (#450825 - in reply to #450822)

wader - 2012-02-21 8:04 PM

Hm, I wonder if a Herco style would fit near or under the headstock in this Ovation super-shallow case.

They fit in the cutaway of the guitar.

If you do not have a cutaway, they will often fit in the headstock area.

I don't place them under the headstocks.. There is is a lump under there in most cases.

But I do place it up there on both my non-cutaway Adami.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)