The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Ovation Celebrity GC-3-5

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

Spum Crocker
Posted 2012-02-20 8:19 AM (#450669)
Subject: Ovation Celebrity GC-3-5

Where can I find information on my Ovation Hardbody. Manual, Spare parts list. The Ovation site does not list this series or model.
Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page
stonebobbo
Posted 2012-02-20 8:40 AM (#450678 - in reply to #450669)
Subject: Re: Ovation Celebrity GC-3-5

Wish I could help, but I've not found much out there. I have a -2 model and a -6 model. Replacement parts are hard to find, especially the trem block which tends to disintegrate. They're fun, inexpensive entry-level rockers, made on contract in a Korean factory along side dozens of other brands.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2012-02-20 8:40 AM (#450679 - in reply to #450669)

I don't think the Celebrities ever got the moniker of Hard Body but I guess it's possible. I have never seen a manual for the Celebrity solid body guitars as with most of the overseas models, not much information is out there. What is a GC-3-5 ? A picture would be helpful. You might also try www.OvationTribute.com and search the model number there. He has a lot of manuals and such online. If it was printed, it's probably there.
Nick B.
Posted 2012-02-20 8:42 AM (#450680 - in reply to #450669)
Subject: RE: Ovation Celebrity GC-3-5

One of the best resources for manuals is Jerome's website.  http://ovationtribute.com/Archives.html

Patch
Posted 2012-02-21 9:50 AM (#450760 - in reply to #450669)

Here's pretty much all I could find for you. It's a 2003 article from Vintage Guitar Magazine. As I'm pretty much a know-nothing regarding electrics, some other OFCers might want to chime in regarding the accuracy of the article. But overall it was interesting reading. I already new that the -5 in the number is indicative of the finish color (black), but beyond that was clueless.

Picking up well into the process, here's what the article said about Celbrity hard-bodies:

.....in ’87 Ovation contracted with a Korean manufacturer to bring in a Celebrity line of solidbody electrics. These were Strat-style guitars again, with bolt-on necks, pointy/droopy six-in-line headstocks (with a bi-level carved relief along the bottom, per style), two-octave rosewood fingerboards, triangular flag inlays, and a double-locking vibrato system. We’re not sure what the pickup brand was, but there are models with two XK-110 single-coils and one XK-120 humbucker, plastic-covered with no exposed poles.

Complete information is not available, but guitars included the GC-2 with two humbuckers and GC-3 with a humbucker/single/single layout. It’s not known if there was a single-humbucker model, but there may have been if the Ultra Hard Body series pattern holds true. One twin-pickup BC-2 was offered, presumably Fender-style, with one P and one J-style pickup. Possibly a single-pickup bass was also offered. One source also lists a CG-21 with a humbucker/single/single pickup arrangement, but no other information is available.

It’s not certain how long the Celebrities lasted, but one source lists them as being offered until ’89.

If you are interested in the entire article you can find it HERE.

Spum Crocker
Posted 2012-03-03 10:23 AM (#451337 - in reply to #450678)

File size allows 1 photo at a time on my album. Ovations made in Korea explains the "made in korea" sticker on the back. In the 80's when I was in Korea anything with a name was knocked off.
Spum Crocker
Posted 2012-03-03 10:28 AM (#451338 - in reply to #450679)

It has a "Made in Korea" bumper sticker on the base of the neck by the model number and serial number. I didn't know Ovations had been made in Korea. I bought it as a display model in 1987 from a music shop in Bristol , CT
Spum Crocker
Posted 2012-03-03 10:32 AM (#451340 - in reply to #450760)

That is fantastic info. Thank you so very much. I bought it as a display model in 1987 at a music shop in Bristol, CT. At the time I had never heard of an Ovation Solid Body Electric and thought it would be a fun way to start up.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)