The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Ovation Guitars really don't get the respect they deserve!" - Alex Pepiak

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Guitar Center model - Is it solid or laminate maple top?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

adamel111
Posted 2012-02-13 3:09 PM (#450208)
Subject: Guitar Center model - Is it solid or laminate maple top?

Hi,

I am a recreational guitar player and am helping my friend pick out a guitar for his wife. My second guitar was an Ovation Celebrity back in '95 or '96 (my brother has it now - I have one of the first iteration Martin D1s with solid top and back with laminate sides).

I am recommending an Ovation Celebrity, and saw a model at Guitar Center GC-24AB that he seems to think she would like. Does anyone know if this is a solid or laminate maple top? I am guessing laminate because of the price but the description doesn't say laminate so I would infer it is a solid top. Which is it?

I recommended that my friend pay the extra money for solid top - I am going to go to the store with him in a week or so to actually play and listen to the laminate v. solid tops. Maybe the laminates will sound close enough that it wont' be a big deal. I do just want to know if this particular model is solid top or laminate though (it just irks me that I can't find the info... or that it is at least vague).

Here is a link to the model on Guitar Center's website.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ovation-Celebrity-Mid-Depth-Birdseye-Ma...

Thanks in advance!

Adam

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Patch
Posted 2012-02-13 3:30 PM (#450212 - in reply to #450208)
Subject: RE: Guitar Center model - Is it solid or laminate maple top?

It's a laminate. Pretty much all of the figured wood Celebrities are. In fact, most Celebs are laminates period. Still, it's always worth going to give it a listen and to compare it to others.

My first Ovation was a Celebrity, and I played it for years. My sister still has it. They are perfectly decent instruments with a very friendly price point. A few of the limited edition Celebs over the years have had a solid spruce top, but you don't see them often. If you can afford a solid top, it is a definite upgrade, but don't let that put you off a guitar you've put through some paces and really like. If you are looking for a good acoustic sound, avoid the super shallow bowls. Otherwise, enjoy the hunt.
adamel111
Posted 2012-02-14 9:26 AM (#450253 - in reply to #450212)
Subject: RE: Guitar Center model - Is it solid or laminate maple top?

Thanks for the info. It is a little disturbing that the literature isn't more clear.

I'm curious if my Celebrity was a solid top or not - knowing my dad (who picked it out), it probably is. I looked at the chart on this website and didn't necessarily see my model. I'll have to do some research - it was kind of a special edition as I remember. It is a natural finish but the rosette was not a standard rosette - more of a western motif that had red triangles. I think the fret markers are red triangle inlays too (standard sound hole, mid bowl). I'll have to take a look again when I'm at my brothers place.

Adam
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)