The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Some Recent Observations

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> AnnouncementsMessage format

Mr. Ovation
Posted 2006-06-15 8:50 PM (#448625)
Subject: Some Recent Observations

Hi Folks,
Although I haven't posted much lately, I can assure you I still read the board. I was just joking the other day with Al about the fact that when he sent me a message to get my opinion on a thread, I hadn't seen the thread, but thought I was reading everything. Well, I guess at least for me, it's just not possible to read everything, every day,. There was a time when at 1:00am EST I could get on to read the 15 or so new threads and posts of the previous day. Not so anymore. It's more like 25-50.
I guess as a result of the board getting bigger and not knowing most of the nearly 5000 people who have signed up, I have read some comments and posts that I find a little disturbing. Nothing critical, but there are a few things that really get under my skin and Alpep's too, because they are things that we strived from the very beginning to avoid. These are in no particular order and don't require any feedback.

- I have seen comments to the tune of "my post got deleted" or "the moderator must have deleted my thread." NO THEY DIDN'T. WE DON'T DO THAT HERE!!!!! The ONLY person that deletes any post is the author of that post. PERIOD!!! There was ONE incident several years ago where we had to delete a thread. THAT's IT, and everyone knew about it. There was no guessing. If anything was to be deleted by a moderator or admin, a crumb would be left to let everyone know why.

Here are some options of what MAY have happened if you are in a position where you are about type "who deleted my post?"

1. You never actually made the post. You typed it, got distracted, and never saved it, or you clicked save, walked away, and you had a connection issue and it never got saved.

2. You "thought" you were replying and in fact created a NEW topic instead and that's why you can't find your comment where you thought you put it.

3. The author of the FIRST post in a topic (the creator) decided to delete his post. As the creator of a topic, if you delete the first post, the whole topic goes away. It's better to just edit that first post leaving it blank than to delete it. This is a function of the bulletin board software

4. You replied to the wrong thread. Believe it or not, this happens all the time.

Enough on that.....

- Feeding the TROLLS.
Here's the scenario... someone posts something to get a reaction. Guess what? if no one responds, they go away. Yet, people seem to feel the need to post things like "don't post here" or they post "not to post" or they send emails around stirring up the pot offline. JUST DON'T FEED THE TROLL. With 25-50 new topics a day, you can find something ELSE to respond to if you have to type something.

- Selling stuff on the board.
Feel free. We have a classifieds section. If you are a dealer, you are welcome. Just don't use the OFC as a "store front." We have several dealers as members including one of the Founders and co-operators of this place. The more the merrier. Got a good deal? you want to share it here, that's fine. Do not use every other post to try to sell your inventory. This is easily detected by moderators and the membership. But if anyone is caught spamming the members, or your ONLY contribution is selling stuff... you may be asked to go elsewhere or to take a short vacation from the message board. I say "may" because we haven't had to do that yet.

- This next item falls under our main rule of "Be kind to each other." A LOT of people read this board. We average 3 new members EACH DAY. They are from every country you can think of, and several at least I have never even heard of. They are from all walks, including the folks at the Ovation factory. So lets watch what we say to each other, and watch what we say about people we "think" are not here. People we "think" are not here might be the ones selling a guitar on eBay. Maybe it's not YOUR cup'o-java, but they are selling something. Don't assume they know as much as you do and they are "trying to pull a fast one." Frankly, it's none of your damn business in the first place, but the Ovation Fan Club is not the Ovation eBay Police department. If for one minute you think I haven't received emails from eBay sellers asking why someone didn't just contact them to correct a discrepancy on an instrument they knew nothing about, instead of slamming them on here... you are mistaken. No problem chatting about eBay items, nothing wrong with maybe questioning an ad, as long as it's not turned into a flaming contest against someone who may very well be reading every word. The same goes for the price police. If you think an item is priced too high, let it go and move on. The buying public will determine the value and I am sure all of us have seen some ebay craziness in both high and low directions on pricing.

Enough on that...
- Speaking of words. Remember, what you type is on here... well as forever as can be on the Internet. Unlike other places.. we DO NOT delete posts and threads. EVER!!!! Think about it the next time you type something. It's a permanent record, and it's out there for everyone to see. Not just here, but anytime anyone does a Google or Yahoo search, YOUR post could show up to bite'ya in the butt years from now. That goes for profanity also. Remember some of our readers are minors and others just don't like to read profanity.

- "The Inside Scoop"
One of the very positive things (this is more for the new folks around here), is that we have a great relationship with the mother ship in Hartford. Once a year they open the doors to us crazy folks, and we see stuff and hear stuff that other people may not. When you are talking to someone from the Factory, they may on occasion confide in you some tidbit or detail of something coming up, or just some news in general. You should feel privileged, but along with that goes a responsibility. If they wanted it public, they would just ask Al or I to post it, or post it themselves. If you overhear something, or are out'n out told something in confidence, do NOT rush and post it to share it with your friends. It's just bad form and guess what? The person that told you that info in confidence, is reading your post too.

- This final note is for Dealers or their employees. Again, really only info for new folks to the Ovation Fan Club. Keep in mind MANY of the people at Kaman read this board. Don't post anything that would normally violate your agreement with them as a Dealer, it could backfire.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)