The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Got time to breathe, got time for music." --Briscoe Darling.

Jump to page : 123
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Sticky Rules Redux

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

alpep
Posted 2008-01-13 2:48 PM (#448422)
Subject: Rules Redux

Be kind to one another.

No personal attacks.

No politics.

No religion.

I think this is rather simple and easy to respect. As a judge once told me, Mr Pepiak, Driving in the state of New Jersey is a priviledge not a right. So I am telling you membership in the OFC is a priviledge not a right.

I had to give a member a vacation yesterday. I woke up at 5:45 to 2 alert e mails and a post that was in violation of our rules. This member was warned previously. So he is currently banned. Miles once posted a proceedure but Damn the rules. I believe you get a warning then a month vacation and you can e mail the board administrators for reinstatement. Oh yeah an apology for taking up my time and energy would probably be nice also. So we can keep it at that for now But please don't push my buttons with these hot topics. They have no place on this message board.

Please note these have only been 2 people who have been banned from this board, and both have the option of e mailing and requesting reinstatement. One chooses to use fake names and register and push the limits the other, well I am still waiting to be sued.

In this times of change I would hope that we all remain on our best behavior for we know not what the future may bring.

For those of you who will argue that you are familiar with the members here and you welcome discussion on other topics, fine e mail each other, PM, call each other on the phone, visit each others homes, meet at a starbucks or an empty parking lot, or whatever else, you just can't do it here.
Places that sort of discourse is welcome.
rushlimbaugh.com
moveon.org
oreillyfactor.com
airamerican.org
seanhannity.com

enjoy yourselves on those sites to your heart's content.

Remember, This is not an easy job to do. Do I yank a post because Cliff solicted P & W cd's for his friend NO.
Do I yank someone's sig that cites a bible verse? or because they end every post with "blessings" NO.
so cut me some slack here.

And if you think I am being too hard just try me.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Trader Jim
Posted 2008-01-13 3:18 PM (#448423 - in reply to #448422)
Subject: Re: Rules Redux

Al,and I think I speak for most of us, you are doing a thankless job far better than most people could. Thank You!
CrimsonLake
Posted 2008-01-13 3:30 PM (#448424 - in reply to #448422)

I had a dream last night that I saw missiles taking off from a few miles away... now I know what the dream meant.

Seriously Al - thanks for keeping this place relatively civilized. It has been said in numerous posts but I'll say it again anyway - this is a GREAT forum.
Beal
Posted 2008-01-13 4:35 PM (#448425 - in reply to #448422)

Ya gotta do what ya gotta do. I'm with ya.
G8r
Posted 2008-01-13 4:43 PM (#448426 - in reply to #448422)

You have my utter support. You don't hear it often enough, but thank you for the incredible amount of time and effort you spend in keeping this board going.
MusicMishka
Posted 2008-01-13 6:24 PM (#448427 - in reply to #448422)

Al, just got back and saw this...its a big job and you do it well...thanks for putting up with all of us and keeping us in line from time to time...it's a great forum and helps a lot of folks in a lot of ways! Thanks and "never close"!
Tupperware
Posted 2008-01-13 6:38 PM (#448428 - in reply to #448422)

Small editorial note - my opinion only. We need to keep in mind that Ovation/Kaman/Fender does NOT sponsor or endorse this forum in any official way. The "Old Guard" was quite gracious in looking the other way and more or less turning a blind eye as we use their trademarked logos, name and images. Just my opinion, but maybe the "New Guard" might be curious what's out there on the net using their trademarked materials. So the "New Boss" stumbles into the OFC and ... horror of horrors, what do they read? Politics, relegion, sexual innuendo, llamas, Taylor bashing ... Maybe they would choose NOT to have their name associated with that kind of stuff ??? Think about that before you post. And I'm as guilty as anyone, no disagreement there. Even my rants about quality issues or our constant bashing of marketing (lack of) could have very damaging effects. I'm starting to see things through a little different light. As Al said, the OFC is a PRIVILEDGE and we should all do our best to preserve it. Just my opinion.

Dave

PS - Btw, I have similar concerns about my use of Ovations and Takamines names on other websites. There is a real risk here, and we (me) should be walking on eggshells and not be handing out the ammo.
Jeff W.
Posted 2008-01-13 7:23 PM (#448429 - in reply to #448422)

Originally posted by Tupperware:
Maybe they would choose NOT to have their name associated with that kind of stuff ??? ... concerns about... use of Ovations and Takamines names on other websites. There is a real risk here....
Announcing the;

"AVOTION FAN CLUB"

and

"KATAMINE FORUM"
FlicKreno aka Solid Top
Posted 2008-01-13 7:30 PM (#448430 - in reply to #448422)

Small editorial note - my opinion only.
----------------------------------------------
Opinions count around here ?..in that case I`ll join the AVOTION FORUM right Away..where I`ll be discussing the sound of egg-shells vs. the taste of eggnog...

by AVOTIONEER
Northcountry
Posted 2008-01-13 7:49 PM (#448431 - in reply to #448422)

I am just checking to see if I can still post.
Wheeeeewww..
Mitchrx
Posted 2008-01-13 8:05 PM (#448432 - in reply to #448422)

Small editorial note - I'm starting to see things through a little different light. As Al said, the OFC is a PRIVILEDGE and we should all do our best to preserve it. Just my opinion.
Amen Dave!

Al, you're doing a great job. Inappropriate posts should not and will not be tolerated. Perhaps the month off will give the banned member a chance to think about his abuse of the privilege of being a member here.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2008-01-13 8:21 PM (#448433 - in reply to #448422)

It's kind of a shame that Al felt the need to post guidelines. You'd think that a bunch of grown men would just naturally behave better without having to be told to.......
Beal
Posted 2008-01-13 9:44 PM (#448434 - in reply to #448422)

NAHHHHHHHH!
Patch
Posted 2008-01-13 9:46 PM (#448435 - in reply to #448422)

What Mauvais Beal said!
AussieJames
Posted 2008-01-13 9:54 PM (#448436 - in reply to #448422)

It is a priviledge to be a part of this great forum.
As Moody and others have said said it is disappointing that we have to be reminded to behave and do the right thing.
Then again if everybody did the right thing there would be no need for police and Moody would be out of a job.
Human nature unfortunately.
Great job Al.
Capo Guy
Posted 2008-01-13 9:57 PM (#448437 - in reply to #448422)

I think that Dave brought up a good point. What we post on this, or any other forum, is out there for all the world to see. The good, the bad and the ugly.
(Hmmm I wonder where that will lead).

What we say can be misunderstood and cause problems. I enjoy this forum and appreciate all that Al and Miles do to keep it up and running.
fillhixx
Posted 2008-01-13 10:26 PM (#448438 - in reply to #448422)

Thanks for the thankless task Al. I forgive you now for giving me a month off at some unknown future date for things I have not yet thought to post.

I'm working on it.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2008-01-14 3:33 AM (#448439 - in reply to #448422)

Hey Dave, thanks for the post.

I would also like to add a note to those folks that know where the line is, and walk up to it knowing that Al and I will let certain things slide a little. You know who you are.

Not necessarily this time, but once in awhile we'll ask a member of the community to remove a post or link, or maybe be careful as they head into those "gray" area's. Most of the time they "get it" and there is no issue, it's never talked about again.

However, put yourselves in our shoes when on occasion instead of the "oops sorry" we normally get when we contact someone, we get the "well you let so'n so post such-n-such" why are you playing favorites? Just think how that makes us feel.

We're still getting a 1000+ new people each year. If those people that know where the line is would keep it at arms length more often than walking right up to it, it would make things a lot easier on Al and I.

Just some food for thought...

Thanks...
AussieJames
Posted 2008-01-14 3:45 AM (#448440 - in reply to #448422)

"I suggest you check with WebMD.com or similar forums.

Consider this a warning."

I find it incomprehensible that after Al found it necessary to start this thread as a warning to us all Miles had to take the above action.
????????
Tupperware
Posted 2008-01-14 7:38 AM (#448441 - in reply to #448422)

That looks like a hijacked user id to me.
Beal
Posted 2008-01-14 7:48 AM (#448442 - in reply to #448422)

probably
stephent28
Posted 2008-01-14 10:40 AM (#448443 - in reply to #448422)

That looks like a hijacked user id to me.
Certainly out of character....now if he had included a poll along with it :D the identity would be verified.

As someone who has personally knocked heads with Al on a few occasions, I appreciate the privilege of being a part of the community w/o worrying about political and or religious topics. As mentioned above...there are plenty of those websites for anyone so inclined.

Thanks Al and Miles. Great consistent job!.
Slipkid
Posted 2008-01-14 12:25 PM (#448444 - in reply to #448422)

Tuppy said:
Even my rants about quality issues or our constant bashing of marketing (lack of) could have very damaging effects.
Maybe, but I would hope not. I think "our" collective credibility would would suffer if all we did was fawn over everything with false praise. Kudos are more valuable when coming from someone you know is capable of constructive critisism.

As far as GWB's unfortunate post I hope it was a hijacker because although he has approached "that line" before, it does seem out of character.
Tupperware
Posted 2008-01-14 12:43 PM (#448445 - in reply to #448422)

Originally posted by Slipkid:
I think "our" collective credibility would would suffer if all we did was fawn over everything with false praise.
Not proposing that at all. I think the OFC provides a good testbed for Ovation. Just need to keep it factual and within bounds.

Dave
BT717
Posted 2008-01-14 4:40 PM (#448446 - in reply to #448422)

Mr "O",
As one of those 1000 new members a year I want you to know I joined the OFC due to my fondness for a great guitar. I ONLY plan on discussing Guitars and music with an ocational clean joke.
I don't know the Administrators, but apreciate the time and effort you put in to making sure this site is "fun" for all.
Thank-you
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)