The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 123
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
Guitar Sound Test

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

dobro
Posted 2009-03-31 10:24 AM (#437420 - in reply to #437370)
Subject: Re: Guitar Sound Test

Those are beautiful tunes, Mike.

Despite your attempt to "standardize" I gotta say that the recording conditions (volume, mix etc) make for a great variety or disparity across the tracks. I must complain: this is not simply a matter of switching up the guitar!

Put it this way: if you were submitting this set of tracks for a CD you'd have some serious work to do just to make the "finish" of the music more uniform (irrespective of the box used).

Does this make sense to anyone?

Really nice to listen to, though!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
G8r
Posted 2009-03-31 10:58 AM (#437421 - in reply to #437370)

Originally posted by dobro:
...if you were submitting this set of tracks for a CD you'd have some serious work to do just to make the "finish" of the music more uniform ...
Wouldn't that completely negate the whole point of the test, though? If you want to compare the tone of various guitars you would use the identical settings (mic, distance to mic, gain, effects loop, etc.). Optimizing for final mixdown with post-processing for each guitar would defeat the purpose. Volume, clarity in each range (low, mid, high), uniformity across the fretboard, those are all parameters that could be "corrected" during mixdown and would be lost without the "raw" recording.
flag72
Posted 2009-03-31 11:16 AM (#437422 - in reply to #437370)

Well you are a great guitar player
my vote is/#7,#5,#2
thank's for the music
Daniel
Gallerinski
Posted 2009-03-31 12:05 PM (#437423 - in reply to #437370)

This post brings up a certain thing that I have always wondered. I once heard a recording engineer comment that he was recording "such and such" a guitar, forget even what it was, because in his words "it just records SO well, even though it really doesn't sound very special in person".

Is this possible? Could a guitar that sounds outstanding to my ears actually NOT be the best choice to record - does the microphone "hear" what I hear. I guess every environment and every mic adds its own "color" so maybe something that's average to my ears really DOES come through just outstanding on a recording?

Anyone else wonder about this? Not at all saying Mike's comparisons are not valid. Just wondering if I would rank them the same in person.
2ifbyC
Posted 2009-03-31 1:02 PM (#437424 - in reply to #437370)

<Paging Paul Templeman...please answer the sunburst courtesy phone in the lobby... >
MusicMishka
Posted 2009-03-31 10:37 PM (#437425 - in reply to #437370)

Thanks for listening and the comments...Pez had reposted to this again and we do have some folks who missed it last year...I'm glad I found the files...
To recap: I used exactly the same mic and settings (distance, volume, etc.) for each guitar...you can read about it in the original posts...the point being to make it an even playing field for the tests...it was also the first recording I had done on my Boss 1600CD DAW...so I was green as could be...
Dave brings up a good point: in the test, the 1687 did not record well: those at Amelia last year know what a killer sounding Adamas I that it is: Matt used it in his concert...so some guitars do sound differently in person than they do recorded according to how they were recorded...there are so many variables to get the maximum tone from a recorded guitar, different mic's, angles,eq, etc, need to be used for each situation; again for this test, I wanted everything fair and even for each guitar...it served its purpose and was a fun experiment.
BTW: Randy (Lanaki) won the contest with the right number of matches...
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)