The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
FD-14 history

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

jujurocks
Posted 2008-12-09 3:20 AM (#437298 - in reply to #437273)
Subject: Re: FD-14 history

Hi, Tony PD,
Boy, were you lucky!
I would have thought of something to say much later...after playing it.
This is your chance to say it!
Please?
J
Top of the page Bottom of the page
MisterGolf007
Posted 2008-12-11 1:56 AM (#437299 - in reply to #437273)

Well, here's my story...

I bought my first O' from Ted Brown in Tacoma, WA in 1972...since then I've visited frequently to check out the inventory and had a chance to play an FD-14 they'd received as one of the early supporters of Ovations.

They had it listed @ something like $2395 (way beyond my means!) but I fell in LOVE with it immediately (regardless of the pricetag)...

Then, in August of '04 there was an auction on eBay for one listed as "like new - only a couple hours of playtime" that was set with a pretty high reserve - which nobody hit. The next week it went back on with no reserve - ending at about 6 o'clock Sunday evening on Labor Day Weekend (when everyone's gone!)...

I happened to be home ill, and (of course!) watching the auction...I looked around the house looking for anything not nailed down that I could sell to justify buying yet another guitar I couldn't afford - and found a bass, a banjo, a violin and several other trinkets & trash and totalled what I thought they'd fetch to justify my severely acute case of GAS!

Well, I won the auction @ $715 in the final minute from the original short-term owner (a well known, seasoned LA musician) who split the shipping ($30) as is customary among OFC members - so it landed on my doorstep for a total of $730 (a steal of a freaking deal in my book!).

I later learned from the Mothership that he'd picked it up directly from the factory - but as he's really an electric sorta guy - it just wasn't his cup o' tea. He prefers to be anonymous - due to his notarity (managed by the same agency as Burt Bacharach & Stephen Stills) so he'll remain nameless.

My serial # is 574069, though the sticker inside doesn't say xx of 50 - so Kim suggested it was 51 of 50 (true story!). I play out about twice a week, and it is the "chosen one" over half the time (and there's many to choose from!). I get more compliments on this guitar's sound than any other ever - and the variety of sounds I get out of it even amaze me - mostly because of the low-end growl that it offers. I usually play clean, but sometimes kick in a modified tubescreamer for some added "thickening".

If I could only own one guitar (per SWMBO!) - it would definately be this one - though my factory refurb'd Tornado would come in a close 2nd...

It has a neck that is, well, practically erotic it feels so good - and is the one that's hardest to put down once you pick it up...All the rave and fanfare afforded it are well justified - and is worth sacrificing several others to capture (somebody better snatch Jack's before I talk myself into buying it as a backup!).

OK - that sorta went over my 100 word essay guideline, but I seldom get a request for MHO on a topic I have so much passion about...thanks for asking, Juju!

p.s. And the happily ever after part - all the trinkets & trash sold for more than the purchase price (fortunately keeping me off the doorstep of the doghouse)...
jujurocks
Posted 2008-12-18 5:08 AM (#437300 - in reply to #437273)

Hey Mistergolf007!
I loved your essay! And I couldn't agree more.
My numbers are nearly invisible on the back of the head. Will you please take a close look in the light? It's stamped into the wood so discreetly, I had to get a magnifying glass and loupe to read the serial number. If you find anything, will you please come back and log it in?

Thank you again for your beautiful answer!
J
kotadawg
Posted 2008-12-18 8:13 AM (#437301 - in reply to #437273)

Originally posted by jujurocks:
Hey Mistergolf007!
I loved your essay! And I couldn't agree more.
My numbers are nearly invisible on the back of the head. Will you please take a close look in the light? It's stamped into the wood so discreetly, I had to get a magnifying glass and loupe to read the serial number. If you find anything, will you please come back and log it in?

Thank you again for your beautiful answer!
J
I'll have to look at mine closer. I received an email from the original owner who still swears it's number 18.
MWoody
Posted 2008-12-18 10:48 AM (#437302 - in reply to #437273)

An observation on construction: I had, for a while, a later Josh White which I gave as a graduation present to none other than... Josh White!

The bracing on this one was very minimal, it didn't have the three smaller braces of the "X" pattern. I see that my FD 14 has a minimum of braces as well.
elginacres
Posted 2008-12-20 7:34 PM (#437303 - in reply to #437273)

So Dave, have you had the nerve to add polish to #42s neck yet? Curiously - my preference is an unpolished neck - just like my playing!
Gallerinski
Posted 2008-12-20 8:53 PM (#437304 - in reply to #437273)

Originally posted by elginacres:
So Dave, have you had the nerve to add polish to #42s neck yet? Curiously - my preference is an unpolished neck - just like my playing!
YES. Absolutely #42 was on it's way to the shop. I just don't like the bare wood look on any guitar. But they told me it couldn't be done very well due to the impregnations in the wood the gloss doesn't adhere well, and it would tend to crack. So #42 stays in it's raw form. I did however get rid of that stupid wooden triangle thing and put on a proper Glen Campbell truss rod cover,
moody, p.i.
Posted 2008-12-20 9:41 PM (#437305 - in reply to #437273)

Originally posted by Gallerinski:
I did however get rid of that stupid wooden triangle thing and put on a proper Glen Campbell truss rod cover, [/QB]

Pictures?
jujurocks
Posted 2009-02-10 4:54 AM (#437306 - in reply to #437273)

Nice!
I have a couple questions, though:
Have you all been diligent to look at the back of the head under the serial # for the series #? It will say 45/50 very lightly, if it's 45/50. Keep in mind, it took my jeweler's loupe to read it.

AND

What "Stupid Wooden Triangle Thing" is Gallerinski speaking of?

Mine's original and has a sort of 'marquis' or almost 'teardrop' trussrod cover-plate. It blends so well with the understated look of this guitar that I never noticed the particular shape of the trussrod cover until it was specifically mentioned.

I wonder if Gallerinski's was the same?

I guess I should post some pictures soon.

Show me yours and I'll show you mine... :)
JJ
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)