The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
FD-14 history

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

jujurocks
Posted 2008-10-10 7:09 AM (#437273)
Subject: FD-14 history

Hey y'all,

This post is specifically ordained to the history of the Ovation FD-14 Elect./Acoust. guitar, and it's past and current owners.

I got busy with life and didn't get to telling everyone about the numbers on the fd-14's.

So, here's the skinny as I got it:

There were originally only 50 made. These are precious. They are numbered 01 through 50. I will always be Boney Gumbo Dupree, FD-14, 45/50.

Then, there are those fd-14's that were custom-made because someone couldn't find one anywhere (not surprising since mine is sought after by everyone I know). These custom guitars have '00' or no numbers at all.

If you have one of these listed on the log, please list the '00' or leave the number space blank.
If yours is not listed, please do so.

I ask those owning the after-market models if there are differences? Pics are few. We need links to pics from this post.

I would be very interested to know under what circumstances these guitars were made; the 'paid for by whom' and 'why' are compelling for me.

If you have, or had, an fd-14 that was custom-made, please give us some details so we can all fill in the blanks.

This is the true songwriter's guitar. It's sound is better than...Okay, I won't say it...but it is...in many people's opinions.

Please tell your fd-14's story here.

Each one should have a history.

Thanks for taking the time, and please don't muddy this post with chit-chat? It's O'History, ya' know.
Thanks.
J
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Gallerinski
Posted 2008-10-10 9:13 AM (#437274 - in reply to #437273)
Subject: Re: FD-14 history

I'll take a stab at this since I was the first on the board to get one. It all started in March of 2003. I stumbled on an ad from a dealer and they were offering something called a Folklore Deluxe. Nobody here had heard about it, but for quite awhile here on the board we had been encouraging Ovation to get back to their roots - forget all the neon day-glow electronic stuff and build a nice players deepbowl that would sound as good as a wooden box guitar.

So I read through the dealers specs on this FD14 and said SHIT, this is it! A modern day Josh White, bingo, bought it sight unseen. Price was $2300. Here's my original post on the guitar that brought it to light on the OFC. The rest as they say, is history.

First FD14 Post

Digging around on the Ovation site I actually found the press release about the FD14.

Press Release

Original plan was that they would build 50 for US market and 50 for Export but orders were low so they cut the total run to 50. As a few other members here got interested and also located FD14s we made a list of who owned which serial number, and that lead to the who serial number list on my website which ended up expanding into other collectable Ovations like the U681, Slothead and 1537. And eventually it expanded to the whole damn product line!

I keep saying it again, and again, and again ... THIS is the best sounding wood topped Ovation that they ever build. Mine has gone back to the factory twice. First time was to apply a John White logo and gloss the headstock. The FD14 pays such homage to the original that it just needed to be recognized. The glossing came out so damn nice, and I hate bare wood necks, it sent back a second time and got the whole damn neck glossed.

Dave
MWoody
Posted 2008-10-10 11:47 AM (#437275 - in reply to #437273)

Mr. Golf and Moody should have a story to tell. I'm currently an Owner in waiting so I better move along... for now.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2008-10-10 12:39 PM (#437276 - in reply to #437273)

I played Dave's when I was in Phoenix in early 2004 (first time I met him and he was foolish enough to let me play his guitars!) and was very impressed with it. It went on my short list of instruments.

Fast forward to late 2005. My wife and I were throwing a Hawaii Five - O party on Dec 30, her 50th birth day and my last day of being 50. Lo and behold, she has a guitar box wrapped up for me with a FD14 in it as a gift. How did she find one?

She called Witko who put her in touch with a nameless person at the factory who told her that he thought there might be one there at the factory in a closet somewhere --- and there was!

There was one odd thing about the guitar -- it had a slimline saddle instead of the OPP wide saddle. We didn't know why.

In January 2006, with the advent of Ovation's 40th anniversary party, a few of the factory guys were out including Darin Wallace, chief engineer and bottle washer at the factory. He took one look at the guitar and with a smile said "I was wondering what happened to this guitar". Turns out that it was the third one build as an engineering prototype and was built as an acoustic only instrument. Later, electronics were added, along with the slimline saddle.

Do I love the guitar? You bet. I don't think it's as good as Dave says, but it's a great guitar that I will never sell. Interestingly, and it fits with what Dave said about the guitar being the most wood box sounding Ovation, a good buddy of mine who is a serious guitar/mando/bass player, absolutely loves it and claims that it is the best sounding Ovation I own.

I'm proud to be an owner of one.....
moody, p.i.
Posted 2008-10-10 9:29 PM (#437277 - in reply to #437273)

Anybody else?
Tim in Tidewater
Posted 2008-10-10 9:37 PM (#437278 - in reply to #437273)

I've got #38/50 purchased from DaveO. Like everyone's said so far, best frig'n sounding woodtop. I played it exclusively during my bluegrass swore back in the spring.

Almost was the owner of the one Blue's just parted company with after we started bidding against each other inadvertently a long while back...

It's one that getting buried in the box with me...
Jeff W.
Posted 2008-10-10 9:57 PM (#437279 - in reply to #437273)

I've got one... #39/50 (One of the first five, or so, acquired by members here on the board?)

Love it.

Came from a music shop in Indiana.

It subsequently suffered some trauma during travels but, the GoodShip Lollypop fixed-her-up right nice and you'd think she's show room new.

I used to think it was my best sounding "O" but, these days I waver 'tween it and the UglyDelucks Balladeer... In the playing department however, there's no contest, the Fudd is like a glove.
FlicKreno aka Solid Top
Posted 2008-10-11 1:20 AM (#437280 - in reply to #437273)

Hi JuJu...nice to hear from U again..that FD 14 got a Cedar top ?

Vic
Gallerinski
Posted 2008-10-11 9:37 AM (#437281 - in reply to #437273)

Yes FD14's are cedar
stephent28
Posted 2008-10-11 12:56 PM (#437282 - in reply to #437273)

I just sold the last of several FD14's that I owned (50/50) and it was a great sounding and playing guitar. I just decided that I wanted 2 basic sounds.....Adamas....and all wood....so all the woodtop O's have finally moved on to better more loving homes....leaving the stable with a nice collection of Adamas.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2008-10-11 1:30 PM (#437283 - in reply to #437273)

If I had been on this board when they came out, I might have grabbed one. I was a bit late and had just bought several Ovations when I first played Dave's FD. I was in the early process of renewing my love affair with Ovations and had just bought my Folklore. An Ovation that didn't sound like an Ovation didn't impress me much. It's a wonderful guitar, but I liked my Folklore more because it sounded more like that deep bowl Ovation sound and I was trying to build a collection of those. Of course, traditional deep bowl Ovations were much more plentiful and cheaper.
Someday my interests may change like Stephen's, but I suspect I'd keep at least one of the "traditional" wood topped Ovation deep bowls.
kotadawg
Posted 2008-10-12 9:51 PM (#437284 - in reply to #437273)

My FD14 was originally #18. The previous owner broke the top when it fell off the wall hanger and he tried to pin it to the wall. I emailed him some questions including one about the back of the bowl. He immediately pulled the listing off of eBay. After a few emails with him and John Budny I bought it and had it shipped directly to the Mothership. They replaced the bowl, top, and bridge. I really don't think about whether it sounds like a Martin or an Ovation, I just know it sounds and plays great.
TJR
Posted 2008-10-13 10:04 AM (#437285 - in reply to #437273)

Count me in for #42/50 SN 571865. It's the newest Ovation guitar (or any guitar) I have. I think the first time I had seen one was here,
http://www.ovationgallery.com and I loved the looks right away.

I wasn't activley looking for one, but the timing was right and I have a few extra bucks at the time.
I bought it from a guy named Mike who went buy the name of "Fugot" shortly after I just sold a 1657-4 Anniversary model guitar that needed some cosmetic work(some regret there). This all happened just over a year ago. I had seen the guitar show up on ebay but never followed it to the end. I looked back later and saw that it had not sold. I contacted him after the auction and we eventually worked out a deal.

I had the FD14 guitar sent directly to the Ovation factory in New Hartford, CT so they could check it out and make any tweaks if required. Nothing other than an adjustment to the truss rod was needed. Since I often travel to CT, I arranged to pick it up there.

The guitar is a beauty to me. The simple elegance of it all just works. The slot head looks great, the inlaid tortoise rosette is probably my favorite part. My youngest daugter (4yrs old) calls it the "fire" guitar. The tight grained cedar top smells so good. The 1.75" ebony fingerboard w/o inlays, the curved fingboard end over the soundhole. Traditional truss rod neck (i.e. not K-bar)so it's lighter, Overall the guitar is not too heavy,

Plus since I rarely ever plug the guitar in.. I appreciate the "not in your face" electronics. I would have preferrerd an internal hidden battery compartment, but at least its hidden pretty well out of sight.

The playability and sound of this instrument are great. Is it the best Wood top ovation? I'm not sure.. I don't have enough others to compare it it too side by side..and I do really like the 1537 series/styled guitars, I suppose I need to hear it in the hands of a truly talented guitar player. The guitar has such a deep mellow tone and beautiful clear highs, it must rank right up there. It's hard to put down once you pick it up. I really like the 12 frets to the body and the whole guitar vibrates when you play it. I've kept in an a open G tuning lately and it really likes the Low "E" tuned down to "D". It's a great guitar, and one I plan to keep for quite a while. Talbot
stephent28
Posted 2008-10-13 12:41 PM (#437286 - in reply to #437273)

Mike (Fugot) is a great guy and you can never go wrong buying one of his guitars. Glad you got his FD14!
TJR
Posted 2008-10-13 3:16 PM (#437287 - in reply to #437273)

"Mike (Fugot) is a great guy and you can never go wrong buying one of his guitars. Glad you got his FD14!"

Yes.. It's in excellent condition... better than I expected.. TJR
jujurocks
Posted 2008-11-08 3:45 AM (#437288 - in reply to #437273)

Wow! We're doing really well re-constructing the Folklore Deluxe 14 (FD-14) history here!
Thank you for your help!

I love the acoustic sound, but from what I understand, it's the plugged-in sound that really makes it a 'keeper' for most serious O'fans.

I wouldn't mind a bit if you were to expound a bit upon how you prefer to utilize this guitar.

Please, also feel free to add any changes you've made to yours. Especially if you feel it was an improvement.

I'm keeping mine 'stock' and untouched by a pick, but I'd love to know if changing anything (removable) would improve it!

Again, I invite anyone with an FD-14 to log your guitar here.

TJR added the Serial Number. I think I'll follow suit. I had to pull out my loupe to read the 7 on the stripe!

USA
45/50

Please, continue adding information on this wonderful guitar.

Thanks, Julie
noah
Posted 2008-11-08 6:54 AM (#437289 - in reply to #437273)

T28 called one day. I was crafting something out in the shop. Lady Noah answered the phone and they had a productive conversation. Eventually, she came out to pass me the phone. With a big smile on her face, she said, Stephen says he found you the last guitar you will every need.

She really emphasized, "last guitar you will ever need".

It was #33/50 at a music store in Louisiana. I think the store had already closed for the weekend, but Stephen told me to call, leave a message and follow with an email. He even suggested the content for the message, which landed me a new FD14 the following Monday :)

Years have passed and Lady Noah has only mentioned T28's "last guitar" statement a few times :cool:
TJR
Posted 2008-11-08 10:19 PM (#437290 - in reply to #437273)

jujurocks ... Notice your SN is lower, but sequence xx of 50 is higher? intersting?
..TJR
moody, p.i.
Posted 2008-11-08 10:37 PM (#437291 - in reply to #437273)

Mine's got a high number yet is the third one built. Go figure....
MWoody
Posted 2008-11-09 12:02 AM (#437292 - in reply to #437273)

Number 08 of 50 is hanging on the wall today. I call it part of the "08" Crash where many people had to go through some hard times.

It has it's own sweet voice and plays easily.
Grif
Posted 2008-11-11 3:18 PM (#437293 - in reply to #437273)

Hi everyone, it's been a long time between posts.

I have finally (after much patience from StephenT28) managed to secure what I have affectionately named "BlackSheep" FD14.

ST28 purchased it from another OFC member, who cannot recall who the original owner was, I'm hoping that he/she is a member here and can cast some light on the original purchase and subsequent repair story. If you are the original owner, please PM me.
At some point, the bridge was replaced, after that the entire neck was replaced and a new, non FD14 serial # was applied to the neck. On the shipping waybill the guitar is listed as 50/50, but that guitar is currently residing in another OFC members collection, best guess from the factory is it was originally numbered somewhere in the 20's. With the name of the original owner, and his/her permission, I can find out what # it is.
So the search for information begins.

Regardless of it's storied past, it's a joy to play, and a beauty to behold. Pictures to follow.
jujurocks
Posted 2008-12-01 3:21 AM (#437294 - in reply to #437273)

Thanks, everyone!

TJR mentioned the serial number lower, in order, than the nuber of the guitar in the series.

Okay, I always just assumed that was because guitars were made in a lot, shipped without regard to the series number, and given serial numbers in the way out the door...

This would be a great place for someone to tell the story of how it really works. Yes?
: )
Hint, Hint...

Thank you again for filling in the FD14 History!

Member logs and registrations are NOT available on a googley-type search, but our posts will, and do, come up.
Hopefully, it'll bring more members and more to all of O'history!

Blessings, J
jujurocks
Posted 2008-12-01 5:19 AM (#437295 - in reply to #437273)

FD-14 questions:

The body binding and soundhole rosette are tortoiseshell and walnut? There's a millimeter of light-colored wood on either end of each of the multitudes of tiny walnut rectangles, and the same light wood in stripes down the neck.

(No fretboard inlay; it's appreciated for sound and craftmanship, not flash. What could you inlay into an ebony or rosewood fretboard that'd make it sound better than ebony or rosewood alone?)

What is this other light-colored wood, though?
Is that light wood inlaid into the neck to create the stripes?
OR:
Is it the two light stripes being glued into a block to be carved for the neck the reason it is a '5-piece neck'?
Yeah, some of us really don't know this stuff!
Elsewhere, I read that the fretboard was rosewood, but they must be wrong?
I'll trust you to say!
Is it ebony? Were all, including the custom-made ones, ebony fretboards?
What is the original nut made of? Plastic or polymer? The nut feels almost brittle (& textured).

I understand that pearloid buttons, pick-guards, signatures, and glossed heads are after-market additions, but has anyone bought an FD-14 'new' from a music store with these?

Lastly, what are the lightest and most playable strings that you would place on this guitar without losing either the live or acoustic sound?

Thanks for your expertise,
J
Gallerinski
Posted 2008-12-01 7:52 AM (#437296 - in reply to #437273)

I believe all the fretboards were ebony. Neck is mahogany and maple.
Tony PD
Posted 2008-12-04 7:36 AM (#437297 - in reply to #437273)

I have 13/50. It was the raffle prize at the very first OFC convention in 2003. Needless to say, I had the winning number (hence the guitar's nickname "Lucky #13"). I was always one of those "I never win anything" type of guys, so I was dumbfounded for a good 10 seconds (maybe longer), thinking to myself, "Um self, that's you. You won. YOU WON! SAY SOMETHING!!" I finally did, right before they were about to call another number.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)