The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Ovation Guitars really don't get the respect they deserve!" - Alex Pepiak

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Plumbing the wisdom of the hive mind. (Just what can mother do?)

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

O'Ken
Posted 2009-01-04 1:23 AM (#435238)
Subject: Plumbing the wisdom of the hive mind. (Just what can mother do?)

I just sent my 1974/75 Balladeer back to mother to diagnose a neck issue (warp and weft) and take a look at some apparently common cracks in the finish behind the saddle.

After lurking for a few days and reading posts running back a month or so, I feel as if I've landed in a Granfalloon of devoted Ovation lovers, many of whom played avidly in the 70's and after a layoff of some years, have rekindled their passion for making music. (Listening is wonderful, making music, even badly, is somehow better).

I have a question. I'm sure that John and team at Ovation will be able to cure my ailing baby. I'm interested in finding out if they should be able to add the electronics and can to enable the insertion of the iDea preamp. Being able to jam on loops, capture noodles to build on, and access to lessons all intrigue me - but I'd rather not buy the iDea guitar to reap the benefits of the preamp, when I have a lovely, solid wood, and well-aged, open sounding guitar to work with. (I played an iDea guitar at a local GC and was underwhelmed (flat strings and off-putting sales force).

Thoughts? Opinons? What I've read on the board makes me think that what I want is possible - but the hive mind has more experience of the possible than do I. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Ken
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2009-01-04 2:51 AM (#435239 - in reply to #435238)
Subject: Re: Plumbing the wisdom of the hive mind. (Just what can mother do?)

As they say in the old country "I can't hurt to ask."

I believe you need to go through an Authorized Ovation dealer like our very own Alpep of Lost Art/Vintage. If your guitar is already on its way back, then I'm guessing you have a contact. Again... it's certainly worth asking.

FWIW I've been thinking of doing the same thing with my old Medallion, but I think John and Kim would be laughing so hard I'd never really hear the answer. The Medallion has been my go-to acoustic for over 30 years. It's beat to shreds, but it still sounds and plays great.
kentrookie
Posted 2009-01-04 3:01 AM (#435240 - in reply to #435238)

I am also a relatively new member of this network and will be interested in the opinions that others more tenured will post. >>>>Just my opinion mind you ......but...... Adding a Idea would involve some significant alterations of the guitar you have. There are plenty of great inexpensive Ovations that could take the Idea without cobbling a fix on your soon to be newly restored Balladeer..... Besides having extra playing choices is a good thing.
BT717
Posted 2009-01-04 6:19 AM (#435241 - in reply to #435238)

I would think "Anything is possible", but remember that its not just puting in the electronics and inserting the iDea. If your Balladeer is an old 1111 or 1112. holes need to be cut out, the bridge may need to be replaced ot atleast rotored out to accomidated the wider
pick-up. I know the idea itself goes for around $300.00 street. so I'm guessing your looking at
around $400.00+ for everything? Oh plus shipping back and forth to New Hartford. I would call John and ask him, get a figure and decide if spending that much and having 1 guitar is worth it OR spending a little more and having 2 Ovations is better.
Re: GC and Dead strings/incompetent Salespeople I think you'll find most here agree. Good luck!

Oh, Welcome to the OFC! Stick around and enjoy.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2009-01-04 7:21 AM (#435242 - in reply to #435238)

I have to agree with the comment about having one changed Vintage O, or just having two guitars.

If your Balladeer is a 1111 or 1112 they will definitely have to change the bridge.

So before you get all them changes, which won't be cheap, you might just buy the iDea module, and any solid-top US Ovation (used or new) with a proper pre-amp, and use that with the iDea.

I just have the iDea module, and put it in one of my OP-Pro equipped Ovations.
I have not felt the need to do the total install on any of them yet.

Big Decision... I look forward to hearing which you decide.
CrimsonLake
Posted 2009-01-04 9:13 AM (#435243 - in reply to #435238)

Ken - Last year, I sent a Custom Balladeer back to the factory for a top refinish, and to change out the bridge. They do wonderful work - the top refinish is beautiful - no more cracks or dings. I had already installed the electronics myself - and as Bob and OMA said above, you would need to replace or router out the bridge to accept the pickup.

Since you already sent the guitar back, have them do it all. As Miles said, buy the iDea from Al and have him ship it up to the factory - you'll get back a GREAT guitar - exactly as you want it.

You can see pics of mine here:

Balladeer (1112) - refinished, electronics installed

Welcome to the club!
G8r
Posted 2009-01-04 9:26 AM (#435244 - in reply to #435238)

Welcome, O'Ken! In answer to your question, the wizards in CT can do just about anything you ask, as long as you have the $$. John and Kim will work with you to give you exactly what you want.

If you're dead set on installing electronics on this guitar then I'm with you on going ahead and putting in the iDea. As Bob and OMA said, tho, it involves either total replacement of the bridge or routing the saddle slot to accommodate the peizo-saddle assembly, plus cutting a hole in the bowl for the pre-amp. That's a lot of handwork, and will cost accordingly, but John or Kim will let you know.

And next time you're in GC, make 'em change the strings ;)
CrimsonLake
Posted 2009-01-04 9:35 AM (#435245 - in reply to #435238)

I would imagine that for the MS to cut the hole would be an insignificant portion of the total cost.
FlySig
Posted 2009-01-04 10:10 AM (#435246 - in reply to #435238)

Originally posted by O'Ken:
I played an iDea guitar at a local GC and was underwhelmed (flat strings and off-putting sales force).
Shocking! You could knock me over with a feather....

As for the installation of an iDea, would they really have to install the wide pickup? Couldn't a thinline pickup be placed under the existing saddle and then simply plugged into the preamp? All that would be required is a small hole drilled for the pickup wire and then the iDea installed.

If they'll do it for a reasonable price, I say jump on it. You can drop any OpPro preamp into the iDea can, like the Studio or VIP. Down the road if you desire to perform or record and want the features of those preamps, just buy one from Al and drop it in. No fuss, no muss.
Gallerinski
Posted 2009-01-04 10:51 AM (#435247 - in reply to #435238)

As FlySig mentions this is a very easy upgrade. They even give you the template in the iDEA package if you want to do it yourself. Just buy a thinline saddle/pickup assembly and an output jack assembly.
O'Ken
Posted 2009-01-04 11:37 AM (#435248 - in reply to #435238)

Thanks for the welcome and responses! Though opinions seem to vary on should/should not and degree of difficulty, the consensus seems to be that the MS can do the job if I want to pay for it.

I too have concerns about cutting in to a vintage Ovation, but those concerns won't stop me if the feedback from John at MS is in the $ range I'd like to see. Alternatively - leaving baby whole and putting the idea in a receptive used ax is also an interesting thought.

I'll post a follow up on eventual resolution.

Thanks again. And, so far as GC is concerned, I don't know that I'll go back.
2ifbyC
Posted 2009-01-04 1:16 PM (#435249 - in reply to #435238)

Good points all, but...

... can you imagine the sound with a refinished, ergo probably thinner, vintage top and the iDEA?

Tough call...
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2009-01-04 1:37 PM (#435250 - in reply to #435238)

Shush Iffy! We're trying to get him to buy another Ovation! :p
standing
Posted 2009-04-09 8:05 PM (#435251 - in reply to #435238)

I'll keep this thread alive, since it is the most recent one that I found in a search for enlightenment…

In my desperate attempt to slay a dragon and hopefully qualify for membership in the BFLG, I thought I might try to add an iDea preamp and a pickup to an old acoustic-only Legend.

I thought it would be a relatively simple project, (providing that one is comfortable cutting holes in a vintage guitar ;-) I figured that, with a little drilling and a lot of careful Dremmeling I could make the necessary holes. I hoped that I could drill a tiny hole for the wire and then just drop a pickup under the saddle, and hook it up to the iDea, with, at worst, a little soldering, if necessary.

Am I being overly optimistic? I know Al has the iDea pre-amps and he tells me they include the can. But where should I look for a compatible pickup? How do I even identify a compatible pickup, since I am probably not using the right terminology. What do I ask for? Can you buy an OEM pickup from Ovation or Al or somewhere?

I know, I could either have a luthier do it, or send it to mother, but where's the fun and challenge in either of those solutions? ;)

Thanks in advance for any sage knowledge that anyone can offer…
MWoody
Posted 2009-04-09 8:15 PM (#435252 - in reply to #435238)

Pssssst...

Nuth\'in to it!

It ain't so hard. Almost any piezo pickup will work, some just work better.

Do Ebay searches on "artec", and look in the Grizzly catalog.
Mitzdawg
Posted 2009-04-09 8:48 PM (#435253 - in reply to #435238)

A veteran member of the BFLG would buy a cheap Celeb off Fleabay to rob the pickup, can, battery box, harness, jack, etc. to mount the iDea.
Then shim the bridge and sell the Celeb as a "custom" because it has "side sound monitoring holes" for more than you paid for it.
It's all in the marketing.
O'Ken
Posted 2009-04-09 9:00 PM (#435254 - in reply to #435238)

Well - the topic came round again just as all of the pieces of my eventual decision came togather.

Though John gave me a very reasonable quote for the work - I decided to not have the Idea put in the 1111. The refinish job and fretwork the factory did were incredible. I could not be more pleased.

I decided to get an acoustic/electric with an appropriately sized "can" to drop the Idea in. My 1680 arrived today. What an incredible guitar. The next step in all of this is to get an Idea preamp to play with, but I'm going to have to let the new wear off the 1680 a bit before I'm going to want to try anything else.

Ken
2ifbyC
Posted 2009-04-09 9:17 PM (#435255 - in reply to #435238)

Originally posted by O'Ken:
I'm going to have to let the new wear off the 1680 a bit
Owning one for over five months, I find it hard to believe that's possible! ;)

BTW, welcome to the Ovation Nation!
standing
Posted 2009-04-09 9:22 PM (#435256 - in reply to #435238)

Originally posted by Mitzdawg:
A veteran member of the BFLG would buy a cheap Celeb off Fleabay to rob the pickup, can, battery box, harness, jack, etc. to mount the iDea.
Then shim the bridge and sell the Celeb as a "custom" because it has "side sound monitoring holes" for more than you paid for it.
It's all in the marketing.
Now, that's my kind of thinking… ;) I even weighed the cost of getting the iDea guitar and stripping it, but I didn't think the battleship grey acoustic I'd be left with was worth even the couple hundred dollars difference over buying just the preamp… maybe if I painted flames on it… ;-)

I could be wrong, but I don't think the current celebs use an iDea-compatible (OP) preamp, do they? Actually, what I really want is the guts from an AL D. model, then I can drill an extra hole for the "boost" button too… ;-)

Anyone have any parts they need to sell?
Trader Jim
Posted 2009-04-10 7:08 AM (#435257 - in reply to #435238)

Glad you're enjoying the 1680, Ken. It is a great guitar!
bvince
Posted 2009-04-10 7:22 AM (#435258 - in reply to #435238)

They even give you the template in the iDEA package if you want to do it yourself. Just buy a thinline saddle/pickup assembly and an output jack assembly.

Is the iDea can the same size/dimentions as the Op Pro and VIP? If so, I'd really like to know if anyone can fax/email me a copy of that template!!!
an4340
Posted 2009-04-10 9:55 AM (#435259 - in reply to #435238)

If it makes you happy, and you can afford it, do it.

So I'd do it, only if it were cost effective, and I don't think it is. But if money's not important, then go for it.
MusicMishka
Posted 2009-04-10 12:51 PM (#435260 - in reply to #435238)

I missed this thread when I was laid up w/my neck...I would have said: Go for it!

Glad that you didn't get that piece of advice...lol

Sounds like you got a great pair of guitars...enjoy!

And welcome to the club!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)