The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
John Hammond anyone ?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

birddog
Posted 2009-01-05 4:25 PM (#435023)
Subject: John Hammond anyone ?

All I can say is Wow!, got a DVD from Homespun for a gift. This guy is badass, blues may not be for everyone but this guy plays killer guitar, harmonica & sings all at the same time.
Ah, wouldn't you know it, just did a google search on him, he played here(Detroit)saturday night, dang.

Wally
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mark in Boise
Posted 2009-01-05 4:46 PM (#435024 - in reply to #435023)
Subject: Re: John Hammond anyone ?

I think it was Stephent28 who recommended Pete Huttlinger, Homespun videos. I got a couple for Christmas last year and they are excellent. They all seem to be about the same format and are very easy to follow, plus the tabs with the Huttlinger dvd were good.
Beal
Posted 2009-01-05 4:54 PM (#435025 - in reply to #435023)

Saw Hammond a couple of years ago, he was pretty good.
Jeff W.
Posted 2009-01-05 4:55 PM (#435026 - in reply to #435023)

I saw John Hammond Jr. in what has to be the most bizarre concert I've ever seen - and I'd bet one of the most bizarre he'd ever given...

None-the-less, he was outstanding...
CanterburyStrings
Posted 2009-01-05 5:16 PM (#435027 - in reply to #435023)

He's playing in Sioux Falls tonight. Of course that's about an eight hour drive, so I won't be going.
Beal
Posted 2009-01-05 6:43 PM (#435028 - in reply to #435023)

I saw him in Torrington CT. Hot tuna opened, they were the best, I'd give them a B+.
Then Hammond, a solid B, and the headliner was Leon Russel. He shoulda stayed home. He can't sing anymore and shouldn't try.
muzza
Posted 2009-01-05 11:00 PM (#435029 - in reply to #435023)

Is that the bloke who's foot 'tapping' is louder than his guitar? The guy that influenced the invention of the 'stomp box'.

I saw him supporting J J Cale in London last century, if that's the same guy. He's VERY good, but his stomping annoyed me after a while.
Losov
Posted 2009-01-06 3:40 AM (#435030 - in reply to #435023)

I take it this is not the same John Hammond who made the ballsiest move of the 20th century . . . . he signed Bob Dylan.
schroeder
Posted 2009-01-06 5:06 AM (#435031 - in reply to #435023)

No.
The current John Hammond is John P. Hammond son of the record producer. He is often called John Hammond Jr, but his old man was actually John H. Hammond Jr (and he died in 1987). Confused?
I got the still living John Hammond (the bluesman) DVD about Robert Johnson for Christmas and highly recommend it.
Jeff W.
Posted 2009-01-06 8:23 AM (#435032 - in reply to #435023)

I saw John Hammond Jr. at Vorhees High School (New Jersey) at a free concert sponsored by the Camden County Board of Freeholders many years ago... Not more than 25 people showed-auditorium held nearly 1000. Among those who did attend aside from my friend, Steve and I, was a cast of oddball residents from a school for the mentally handicapped, who chose to sit directly behind us.

John still put on a great show though, you could tell he was a bit surprised there were so few people in attendance... And that group directly behind us was making all sorts of really funny noises, some voluntary, some not... they were completely ecstatic at being there... and my friend Steve and I were trying sooooo hard to suppress our laughter our eyes watered- and we started making funny involuntary noises too. Very fun evening. John was great and the kids behind us were priceless.
birddog
Posted 2009-01-06 9:20 AM (#435033 - in reply to #435023)

Originally posted by schroeder:
No.
The current John Hammond is John P. Hammond son of the record producer. He is often called John Hammond Jr, but his old man was actually John H. Hammond Jr (and he died in 1987). Confused?
I got the still living John Hammond (the bluesman) DVD about Robert Johnson for Christmas and highly recommend it.
Schroeder
Sounds like you got the same one I did for Christmas. Is it hosted by Happy Traum ?
Hap has to keep slowing him down so you can seee his licks.
Got one with Keb Mo too, he's one heck of a fingerpicker.

Wally
Tommy M.
Posted 2009-01-06 4:59 PM (#435034 - in reply to #435023)

John Hammond is a great blues player who's been performing pure blues for awhile. He actually played with Jimi Hendrix together at the Cafe Wha, in the Village in the mid-sixties. Always a great performer to see. Hey Jeff isn't that Eastern High Scholl in Voorhees?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)