The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
OT: yellowstone...

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

Old Man Arthur
Posted 2009-01-06 4:40 PM (#434904 - in reply to #434879)
Subject: Re: OT: yellowstone...

Yeah Miles... The saying goes about NW folks "Can point to six-or-seven volcanoes, even when it is too cloudy to see the mountains."

While talking about that stuff with my Mom, I remind her that she lives 126 miles from the New Madrid Fault. Which, according to Mark Twain, caused the Mississippi River to flow backward during one of its little adjustments.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2009-01-06 5:38 PM (#434905 - in reply to #434879)

Mark Twain huh? The "Never let the facts get in the way of a good story" Mark Twain?? LOL!!
FlySig
Posted 2009-01-06 11:05 PM (#434906 - in reply to #434879)

Six or seven years ago I scraped a knuckle while sawing branches off of a tree. Nearly a week later the knuckle went from having a normal scab to having such a deep infection that in a couple of hours it hurt like hell and red lines were running from the back of my hand up to my elbow. It went downhill from there.

It took I-V antibiotics to keep me alive.

Two summers ago my 75 yr old father, my 10 yr old son, and I went for a last quick swim in the ocean before lunch. A rip tide pulled us well out into deep water. All three of us somehow cheated the Grim Reaper that morning.

There was the time I hit black ice while riding a bicycle and slid on my back into the middle of a very busy intersection during rush hour.

There have been a number of other close calls, like the blizzard that came up over the ridgeline in the Himalayas at 18,000 ft while I was alone trying to bag a peak. Or the engine failure during a microburst windshear while on approach at a one-way mountain airport.

Worrying about a volcano or earthquake killing me at some unknown future date seems rather silly when the world is full of known dangers. Whatever gets us is not likely to be what we worry about, it will surprise us.
stephent28
Posted 2009-01-06 11:19 PM (#434907 - in reply to #434879)

Flysig, remind me never to vacation with you! ;)
FlySig
Posted 2009-01-07 9:28 AM (#434908 - in reply to #434879)

There's nothing to worry about, because I'm the luckiest man alive. Death hasn't caught me yet.

Besides, such experiences make for good song inspiration.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)