The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Pre amp swap

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

Slowhand77
Posted 2009-01-13 11:40 AM (#433818)
Subject: Pre amp swap

I did a search and came up empty. Does anyone know if there is a kit available to upgrade your pre amp? I would like to put a new preamp with the tuner in my 24 year old guitar. Is it possible? Where can I find a kit if available?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Waskel
Posted 2009-01-13 11:50 AM (#433819 - in reply to #433818)
Subject: Re: Pre amp swap

A little more info would be helpful. Do you currently have the OP24?
stonebobbo
Posted 2009-01-13 12:18 PM (#433820 - in reply to #433818)

1984 Collectors 12 string???? :eek: Is that right?
MWoody
Posted 2009-01-13 12:47 PM (#433821 - in reply to #433818)

You can ask the factory to do it or you can try it yourself.

You'll need a can to go with the newer preamps. There was a nice OP 50 on ebay recently.
Slowhand77
Posted 2009-01-13 3:26 PM (#433822 - in reply to #433818)

Yes the 84. I do not have a new pre amp. Thats what I was looking for was the pre amp complete with the can. I was hopeing there was a kit available that included everything I would need.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2009-01-13 4:09 PM (#433823 - in reply to #433818)

I think he was referring to your signature and the fact that Ovation doesn't acknowledge ever making a "1984 Collectors 12 String". Is there a comma missing, maybe?
There are a bunch of different models of new preamps. Which one do you want? Are you talking about the iDea? They still need the can, but I'd guess you could get one of those from the factory, or maybe the preamp with the can from the factory.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2009-01-13 4:33 PM (#433824 - in reply to #433818)

If you have an OP-24 or an OP-24+, I imagine you can get an OP-24+C or an Optima from the Factory that would fit in the hole.
If you want an iDea you can buy them anywhere, but I am not sure if the elliptical can is bigger than the square hole on the OP-24.
You would want the can to be bigger than the rectangular hole for an easy retrofit.
[Y'know? You can always cut the hole bigger. No 'Bondo' required! :p ]

We really need a photo.
FlySig
Posted 2009-01-14 10:06 AM (#433825 - in reply to #433818)

Geez, you guys are slow this morning. CALL AL. He will get you a factory direct shipment of a brand new preamp of your choice, all at a very reasonable cost. Way better than I've seen on the auction sites, btw.

The newer preamps, the OpPro series and the iDea, have that kidney shaped can. You can make a template and cut the hole yourself if you're brave enough and handy with small tools. The pickup will plug into the back of the preamp can, so if your pickup doesn't have the correct plug on it you will have to solder one on. Some of the preamps come with an XLR output jack in addition to the standard 1/4", which would require drilling another hole next to the existing output jack.

The can itself is super simple to install once you have the correct hole cut in the guitar. It just slips into place and then you gently tighten two screws with a phillips screwdriver (don't use an electric drill to tighten the screws).

If you are willing and able to cut the correct hole, you can install the can and plug in the preamp yourself. The trick is to site the hole in the proper place on the contours of the guitar body and to cut the hole accurately.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)