The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
neck twists and turns?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

twistedlim
Posted 2009-01-13 3:13 PM (#433814)
Subject: neck twists and turns?

When I first picked up my guitar I did notice a slight bow to the neck. After talking to Kim and John I felt my 1767 was safe to buy. I did adjust the truss rod and the action is very nice. The nut height is about .003-004 where you measure and it is about .078-.080 at the 12th fret. It plays better than I ever will. But... I notice when I look down the top of the neck from the end of the body there is a slight outwards bump right where it meets the body. Conversly, there is a slight bow (opposite direction from the top of the neck) on the bottom (high E)side of the neck where it meets the body. Tone is good all the way out on the bass E but on the treble E it fails at about the 14th fret. Not a big deal since I do not really see me playing much in that are in this lifetime :) .

Funny thing is I went to a local shop and they had 4 or 5 older ovations there. They all had a similar condition to one degree or another. It is almost as if the neck has a slight twist in the direction that you would turn to tighten the truss rod.

Anyway, not really a big deal to me now. And the $160 I shelled out for the 1767 was well worth it. I just love playing this guitar! But, is this normal? Is it something the mothership can fix? I will need some new frets eventually. I will set that up for when I go on vacation and cannot play it anyway. It is my only guitar at home as of now and I am wondering if this can be taken care of when I have the frets done or is it just the nature of the beast. Thanks for listing to my rambling. :)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mark in Boise
Posted 2009-01-13 4:14 PM (#433815 - in reply to #433814)
Subject: Re: neck twists and turns?

A bump where the fretboard meets the body isn't uncommon. My 87 has it. It also effects only the high E string above the 14th fret. I've solved it by tapping down the high fret, but it occasionally seems to solve itself with humidity or temperature changes.
Put a straight edge over the frets and see if it's just the 14th that is high. A decent luthier may be able to file the fret down to make them all even.
MWoody
Posted 2009-01-13 10:42 PM (#433816 - in reply to #433814)

I did the most extensive Neck Dress I've ever done just last week to a Preacher Deluxe 12 string neck (still on a Preacher Deluxe).

Stoned/honed down the overall and pretentioned neck to level all frets and then shaped and polished the frets.

I was happy with the results, and action was sweet.

The hump at the body can happen and usually you can hone the frets down to compensate. After 25-30 years of tension and life we all need an occasional realignment!
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2009-01-13 11:17 PM (#433817 - in reply to #433814)

Originally posted by MWoody:
After 25-30 years of tension and life we all need an occasional realignment!
This is what I originally thought this thread was about...
I thought one of you Old Farts has pulled a muscle!

Oops! :eek:
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)