The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Fingerstyle : Resting the pinky!

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

Designzilla
Posted 2009-01-15 1:06 PM (#433534 - in reply to #433509)
Subject: Re: Fingerstyle : Resting the pinky!

All in all, I think it's "better form" to not anchor your pinkie. It also allows a better range of movement, and an extra finger! I have also wondered if it lessens the vibration of the top and has an effect on sound.

I think breaking bad playing habits is a good idea, but this is just one of those habits I haven't been able to break. Not enough patience probably! When Matt Smith said not to worry, I figured to hell with it, it's just the way I play.

If I played as much as Adrian Legg, I would be very concerned with the possibility of repetitive strain injuries!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Losov
Posted 2009-01-15 1:33 PM (#433535 - in reply to #433509)

I've been resting my pinky on the top since 1963. I'm not about to change anything now.
lanaki
Posted 2009-01-15 1:49 PM (#433536 - in reply to #433509)

most often, with my fingerstyle in slack key, i rest or plant both my ring and pinky digits. when i strum, my ring and pinky digits usually brush the pick guard. my pick guard scratches are primarily caused by my fingernails while strumming rather than from the pick.
this may be in poor form but it certainly allows for much less tension in the right hand. attempting to curl those fingers up has made me far too conscious of the effort and less fluid/relaxed when i play. when i am playing a jazz oriented fingerstyle, i will use the ring and pinky fingers for upstrokes on the treble strings.
Patch
Posted 2009-01-15 2:19 PM (#433537 - in reply to #433509)

I got a statement from a choir member once when I was teaching a new piece that went roughly:

"Will you please make up your mind whether or not to plant your pinky!" (It was friendly ribbing, not a serious complaint.)

Whether I'm flat-picking or finger-picking, the pinky rests on the soundboard, but routinely jumps up and joins in if things get a little complicated. I had never really noticed until he said something to me about it.

Then I read that it was "improper technique" somewhere and became a little self-conscious about it until I matured enough to realize I had been playing fine for almost 20 years, so why sweat it. The final word for me came from a video of Tommy Emmanuel linked from this site.

In it, he was giving a workshop and specifically stated that he often let's his pinky rest if it feels right to him. If TE can do it, then so can I. If TE can play it, then...um...I plead the fifth. :rolleyes:
Oddball
Posted 2009-01-15 2:30 PM (#433538 - in reply to #433509)

Always nice to continually improve whatever endeavors you enjoy. But this is one of those things that you can easily overthink. A quick survey over on Youtube revealed the following:

Guys who don't rest pinkies:
Jerry Reed
Leo Kottke
James Burton

Guys who DO rest pinkies besides Chet:
Gordon Lightfoot
Red Shea (Lightfoots lead guitarist)
John Fahey
John Prine
Roy Clark (on both banjo and guitar)
Lindsay Buckingham
Mark Knopfler (actually rests his third finger)
David Gilmour (he doesn't really finger pick, but rests his pinkie during some acoustic solos)
Paul Simon (playing an Ovation in this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUkL5YQJfEo)
Willie Nelson (he rests it right above the hole worn through his guitar top)

Last time I checked, all these guys were still alive except Jerry.

FWIW, Walter Cronkite still types using only his two index fingers.
Oddball
Posted 2009-01-15 2:33 PM (#433539 - in reply to #433509)

Oops, sorry, Red Shea also passed away last year.
Jonmark Stone
Posted 2009-01-15 3:02 PM (#433540 - in reply to #433509)

Originally posted by Oddball:

Willie Nelson (he rests it right above the hole worn through his guitar top)
Willie had to have surgery a couple of years back for carpal tunnel. Don't know if it was related though.
dweezil
Posted 2009-01-15 4:28 PM (#433541 - in reply to #433509)

I fully appreciate it's a personal preference and like most things there are some that do and some that don't. There is no right or wrong. I just found it very interesting that someone as knowledgeable and skilled as Adrian Legg actually said what he said, surely he must be speaking with some real experience.

The question is do I relearn my technique or continue in the knowledge that I might be in danger of developing RSI albeit unlikely. Even if there's 1% chance that's enough for me!
sycamore
Posted 2009-01-16 4:50 AM (#433542 - in reply to #433509)

It's a bit like wrapping your thumb around the neck as discussed here.

http://www.ovationfanclub.com/cgi-bin/ubb/non-cgi/ultimatebb.php?ub...

It's 'bad technique' but many players do it. I bet Segovia doesn't though
IanS
Posted 2009-01-16 6:42 AM (#433543 - in reply to #433509)

I guess my pinky is just too short - If I rest my pinky I can just about pick with my knuckles
Designzilla
Posted 2009-01-16 9:14 AM (#433544 - in reply to #433509)

Originally posted by dweezil:
The question is do I relearn my technique or continue in the knowledge that I might be in danger of developing RSI albeit unlikely. Even if there's 1% chance that's enough for me!
I think improving technique and unlearning bad habits is always a good idea. If it reduces the possibility of injury, even better. Go for it!

I'm too lazy...

:D
Beal
Posted 2009-01-16 9:18 AM (#433545 - in reply to #433509)

they told me not to do it, so I do it.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2009-01-16 9:48 AM (#433546 - in reply to #433509)

Originally posted by Beal:
they told me not to do it, so I do it.
Yeah, but you just like to f*#% w/ authority.....
stonebobbo
Posted 2009-01-16 9:39 PM (#433547 - in reply to #433509)

Originally posted by Jonmark Stone:
Willie had to have surgery a couple of years back for carpal tunnel. Don't know if it was related though.
I believe his was diagnosed as a repetitive rolling injury.

This intrigued me so I checked on myself. Sometimes I do, mostly I don't. Never when I strum, always when I'm picking something tricky for me (but it's the side of my pinky, not the fingertip, and if I'm on the higher strings then I rest my ring finger on the pinky), and almost never when I fingerpick, but depending on where are what I'm playing, sometimes I do. So no matter where you stand, it seems I am breaking all the rules. Go figure. :cool:
fillhixx
Posted 2009-01-16 10:10 PM (#433548 - in reply to #433509)

Carpal Tunnel syndrome requires a lot of repetitive motion to produce ill effect. If you're playing enough that where you place your pinky finger is causing you trouble, the rest of us are in awe!
Oddball
Posted 2009-01-16 10:21 PM (#433549 - in reply to #433509)

+2 on what Old Man Arthur said — it is distinctly 'noisier' when you rest a pinkie on an Elite T 'nonskid' top. It's actually cause me to (however briefly) try to fingerpick without pinkie resting. Couldn't do it. Now I just keep the pinkie fingernail trimmed down. Still hear it though. Weird. I never 'heard' the pinkie on any gloss tops.
dweezil
Posted 2009-01-17 4:44 AM (#433550 - in reply to #433509)

Originally posted by fillhixx:
Carpal Tunnel syndrome requires a lot of repetitive motion to produce ill effect.
I'm certain the Institute of Neurological Disorders would love to hear about your research and how you came to that conclusion.

What are the causes of carpal tunnel syndrome?

Carpal tunnel syndrome is often the result of a combination of factors that increase pressure on the median nerve and tendons in the carpal tunnel, rather than a problem with the nerve itself. Most likely the disorder is due to a congenital predisposition - the carpal tunnel is simply smaller in some people than in others. Other contributing factors include trauma or injury to the wrist that cause swelling, such as sprain or fracture; overactivity of the pituitary gland; hypothyroidism; rheumatoid arthritis; mechanical problems in the wrist joint; work stress; repeated use of vibrating hand tools; fluid retention during pregnancy or menopause; or the development of a cyst or tumor in the canal. In some cases no cause can be identified.

There is little clinical data to prove whether repetitive and forceful movements of the hand and wrist during work or leisure activities can cause carpal tunnel syndrome . Repeated motions performed in the course of normal work or other daily activities can result in repetitive motion disorders such as bursitis and tendonitis. Writer's cramp - a condition in which a lack of fine motor skill coordination and ache and pressure in the fingers, wrist, or forearm is brought on by repetitive activity - is not a symptom of carpal tunnel syndrome.
Get the facts here
TAFKAR
Posted 2009-01-17 9:09 AM (#433551 - in reply to #433509)

Must be what you get used to. I find it difficult how you could use three fingers (& a thumb) to pick if the fourth is resting on the face. My classical guitar book warned that you need to keep all fingers relaxed. A sign of tension was this little finger rising up (further away from the face) when it is supposed to follow the finger next to it, just slightly curled under. I don't know what it does when I'm not looking, but if I watch my fingers I can see it tense.
When I'm using a pick trying to play leads, I often rest my little finger on the face then, or even hook it around the high E string if I'm not going to be playing that string.
iglupickin
Posted 2009-01-24 12:41 PM (#433552 - in reply to #433509)

I'm joining in on this topic late but I've started finger picking late in life and its something I work at part time. As far as resting the pinky, it depends. I can see the value for freeing up all the digits for various pickin techniques. Since I switch between electric to acoustic guitars, I don't play one often enough to be totally tuned in to one arm position. I rest the pinky quite often. Hey, if Chet did it all these years, I don't think there is anything wrong with it. No different IMHO than using the thumb for grabbing the low E when trying to catch a bass note on the neck in a given chord situation. This is a great topic. I don't get on this forum too often but finger pickin is something I enjoy. :)
Gary
Ovations:
1986 Shallow bowl Collectors edition
1984 Classical - 1663/4 series Natural/stereo
others:
1952 Tele Re-issue
Homebuilt Custom Strat w/tele neck
Guild J30 Jumbo
Martin BacPacker
Capo Guy
Posted 2009-01-24 3:02 PM (#433553 - in reply to #433509)

Originally posted by Tim Chapman:
...nearly ALL of the better banjo players "plant" at least the "pinky" while playing (sometimes pinky/ring):

.....but, then again, they are banjo players. :rolleyes:
And they tend to wear funny hats. :D

For the record, I don't rest my pinky.
dweezil
Posted 2009-01-24 3:06 PM (#433554 - in reply to #433509)

Well having tried without resting the pinkie this last week I can say this...

Was weird and uncomfortable at first and thought f*** this. But I persisted. Now when I rest the pinkie it feels VERY restrictive and uncomfortable. I have a much greater expressive range when not resting! So there you are.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)