The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Instructional DVD's?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

Chuck (Retired Navy)
Posted 2009-01-16 10:03 PM (#433258)
Subject: Instructional DVD's?

While reading through a few of the guitar related e'mails that show up in my mailbox, I found thid one with a link here: http://www.guitarprinciples.com/cart/dvd.html

I don't know if it is any god or not, or if it is worth the asking price. Figuered I would consult with the proclaimed experts here and see what is said. :confused:
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Oddball
Posted 2009-01-16 10:36 PM (#433259 - in reply to #433258)
Subject: Re: Instructional DVD's?

I've always had limited success with instructional DVDs or, formerly, VHSs. Depending on the way you learn things and where you are in your guitar playing, you can get a lot out of them. However, I find them a bit tedious in the parts where I already know what I'm doing (or think I do), and sometimes a bit fast or unclear in the parts I want to learn. Plus, being a non-music reader, there seems to be an awful lot of music lingo, even in DVDs touted to be for 'anyone'. In that sense, I suppose the ability to read and understand music would make learning from vid easier.

I always did best learning directly from someone else who I could talk to and ask questions. Second to that, I just listen to songs over and over until I figure them out. Third, and relatively new on my horizon, youtube has many 'tutorials' on various songs and they're free. I've found it fascinating to peruse all the tutorials on one particular song (as many as 6 or 7 different ones) and note that there's always one that — to me — is clearly the best. It's never the one where the guy talks a lot and explains everything in excruciating detail: "first finger on third fret of A string, second finger on ....." — and it takes about 15 minutes to explain one two-second riff. I like the ones where the guy just does it with minimal explanation and slowed down just slightly. Once I kinda get it, the super cool thing is then to find the actual artist playing the song elsewhere on YouTube (like David Gilmour playing Wish You Were Here) and double checking that's how HE does it.

Sorry for the blah blah blah. Guess I'm in a talkative mood. BTW, $59.95 is way too much for a guitar video, in my opinion. They have about three dozen different ones at any Guitar Center for less than half that.
2ifbyC
Posted 2009-01-16 11:38 PM (#433260 - in reply to #433258)
Subject: Re: Instructional DVD's?

Originally posted by Oddball:
youtube has many 'tutorials' on various songs and they're free
YT has been my 'classroom' for about a year now. Try a YT search for 'guitar lesson' and 'guitar instruction'. There are several consistent posters that provide some nice lessons/hints. You'll wade through a bunch of crap but you'll eventually learn who has worthwhile info. When you find a consistent contributor, subscribe to that individual.

Good luck!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)