Error encountered in: \\fs1-n02\stor2wc1dfw1\397573\426710\www.ovationfanclub.com\web\content\megabbs\templates\ovationfanclub\fragments\message.asp
Microsoft VBScript runtime error - Type mismatch

Error encountered in: \\fs1-n02\stor2wc1dfw1\397573\426710\www.ovationfanclub.com\web\content\megabbs\templates\ovationfanclub\fragments\message.asp
Microsoft VBScript runtime error - Type mismatch
Viewing a thread - AM I the last person on earth without EBay/PayPal accounts?

The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Got time to breathe, got time for music." --Briscoe Darling.

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
AM I the last person on earth without EBay/PayPal accounts?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

TOPDOGJIM
Posted 2009-01-17 6:00 PM (#433240 - in reply to #433215)
Subject: Re: AM I the last person on earth without EBay/PayPal accounts?

I have a small business that I use PayPal for. On average when I send an invoice about 25% of my customers send me an e-mail asking if there is any other way to pay as they hate PayPal. If it were not for the high fees I would have nothing bad to say about them as it works great and fills a need.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2009-01-17 6:12 PM (#433241 - in reply to #433215)

Yeah, the fees are annoying...

This Really Nice seller on eBay decided to voluntarily refund me $3 on shipping, since I was in the same state! Very Cool of him! :D I didn't ask, it was his idea.

So he refunds the $3, and PayPuke took something like 33 cents of it! :mad:

It is only 33 cents, but it is the principle. I was my money and it was a refund.

But I use PayPal for my Guitar Fund (which is quite empty now).
Sweetwater, Musicians Fiend, and many other companies take PP, so it is convenient for the Sell-one/Buy-another Program.

Posted 2009-01-17 6:39 PM (#433242 - in reply to #433215)
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2009-01-17 6:42 PM (#433243 - in reply to #433215)

Originally posted by AlexJW:
I have neither paypal or e-bay account, and have not found anything on there I want enough to make me join lol
OK... How about this? :D
standing
Posted 2009-01-18 7:00 PM (#433244 - in reply to #433215)

OK... How about this? [Big Grin]
Oh man, did you have to post that one? It's posts like that that started me thinking I needed to be on EBay in the first place… ;)
standing
Posted 2009-01-18 7:03 PM (#433245 - in reply to #433215)

Originally posted by Old Man Arthur:
Sweetwater, Musicians Fiend, and many other companies take PP, so it is convenient for the Sell-one/Buy-another Program.
Couldn't you just use a regular credit card with those retailers? Why would you need or want to use PayPal with them?

Posted 2009-01-18 7:31 PM (#433246 - in reply to #433215)
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2009-01-18 7:51 PM (#433247 - in reply to #433215)

Originally posted by standing:
Originally posted by Old Man Arthur:
Couldn't you just use a regular credit card with those retailers? Why would you need or want to use PayPal with them?
I don't own a credit card, and I do not want one.
They are bad for addictive personalities like me.
Credit Cards are the reason the economy is screwed-up.
I would not even have a bank account except society has made is so that you need one to cash a paycheck and pay your telephone and cable bill.
When my economy is working right, my PayPal account is self-sustaining. Guitars-in, Guitars-out.
Then I can take money that I made on eBarf and buy a Sweetwater Koa T! :D Which I did.

And you can use a Credit Card to buy things on eBarf through PayPal.
You just cannot sell things without a PayPal account.
This sux, but it is their business model.
standing
Posted 2009-01-18 10:24 PM (#433248 - in reply to #433215)

OMA,

I agree with your sentiments, and I admire your determination in staying out of the credit card game. It's not easy these days.

If you use it only for convenience, and pay off the balance every month, they are not that evil. The problem is that it is just too easy to say, "man, I really want that guitar," and whip out the credit card without having the money in the bank to cover it. That is the beginning of a long slide downhill…

(I just wish everyone in my family understood that concept… ;-)

Today's credit card interest rates would have been considered usury 30 or 40 years ago. People get in and can't get past the interest payments, so they carry huge balances. I read a while back that many people have balances that, if they pay the minimum monthly payment, will never be paid off in their lifetimes… that's when credit cards are truly evil.

I had a friend in the 70's (the year, not his age, not then anyway ;-) who refused to even have a checkbook. He would go to the bank and take out cash from his savings account for his bills and drive to each place of business (Electric Company, Phone Company, etc.) and pay in cash. He did that for years… then he got married… eos.

So, if I understand how you handle this, you actually maintain a balance in your PayPal account that grows and shrinks as you buy/sell? What if you want to cash out? Will they send you a check? I'm surprised they let you have an account without a credit card number in the first place.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2009-01-19 12:04 AM (#433249 - in reply to #433215)

I have a bank account with a Debit Card. A debit card number is a credit card number.
But I just have to have real money in there to spend it.
Once I had sold a coupla guitars, I just maintained a balance in PayPal.

The Glen Campbell Artist and the last Viper wiped that out.

As far as getting the money back... They will put it back on my debit card. Or so they say.
Meanwhile, they just keep your money in their account and make the interest off of it.
I have never taken money out, but they say that there is no charge to get your money back.
Oddball
Posted 2009-01-19 12:56 AM (#433250 - in reply to #433215)

Confirming no charge to get your money out of PP. You just 'ask' on the website and they xfer it to wherever you have pre-registered. In my case, my bank account. It takes 3-4 biz days.

My take on it is that eBay did not dream up the PayPal requirement because they want to screw users of the site, but because it will reduce the possibility of people getting screwed and angry. If that doesn't work for you, hey, don't use either one. They are not hurting for either buyers or sellers, believe me.

It's like any endeavor. I like to play guitar, but darn it, you have to work at it! It takes time! You have to keep your nails trimmed (or I guess sometimes grow them long). You get those yucky callouses on your fretting fingers. You have to occasionally tune the guitar. Sometimes the strings are too high. Etc. etc. etc. blah blah blah. So you have to make the decision whether the rewards are worth putting up with all the 'cons'. You have to accept what IS and get on with it, not how it OUGHT to be. Ebay and PayPal are the same.
Gallerinski
Posted 2009-01-19 5:23 AM (#433251 - in reply to #433215)

Moving money in/out of PayPal is no issue. I use PayPal for more and more of my everyday purchases. My dentist now tales PayPal, how cool it that?

I think it usually takes 2-3 days for a funds transfer.
sligoman
Posted 2009-01-19 11:30 PM (#433252 - in reply to #433215)

If you have a bank account backed up by a credit card, the funds transfer at once. If not, they treat it as if it were an electronic check and it could take a week. As has been said, it works. Are there risks? Sure. But I think it's really not the way you pay but who you pay that dictates a good transaction. Do your feedback research and make sure the guy or gal has a high feedback number. Period.
gulfcoast
Posted 2009-01-20 9:45 AM (#433253 - in reply to #433215)

I don`t do do ebay but i`ve been thinking of opening a paypal acc. I might would someday try to sell something on ebay but i don`t think i will be buying, once was enough.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)