The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Ovation Guitars really don't get the respect they deserve!" - Alex Pepiak

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
A pic of my collection, and thoughts on 1680

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

Nasdtrader
Posted 2009-01-17 8:48 PM (#433116)
Subject: A pic of my collection, and thoughts on 1680

Its been a while since I posted here, but the addition of my new 1680 has inspired me to finally take a picture and write a post! First off, I'm so psyched I bought this guitar! I was originally after a UTE, but after talking to Patch (who didn't really want to give his up without a trade), some more research, and especially some bargain pricing, I picked this 1680 up new from an ebay seller. Its the first Adamas I've ever played, and WOW, I love the sound. Its quite different from my 2078 (which I was amazed with when I bought it a couple years back) - much deeper, full sound. The entire guitar resonates, something I've never really felt before. The sound of some notes, at the 12th fret especially send chills down my spine. I have no idea how this guitar compares to other Adamas, other than what I've read here, but I'm pretty happy. Now that I'm done pining about my new baby, a small honest critique: The sound of this guitar can be best described as technically perfect, precise, and LOUD. It has a warmth all its own, but its something completely different than a wood topped guitar. I can only describe it as a warmth without life, if that can be understood. I was playing it with one of my friends who has a $4k Godin and an even more expensive Martin of which model I cannot recall (not that price means everything, or anything, but just to let you know what i'm comparing to), and the sound of the 1680 was full and loud, but not full of life like his were. I very much liked the way the 1680 sounded against his, but there was enough missing that I don't think I would ever limit my collection to carbon topped guitars. Regarding the finish of the 1680, the carbon and walnut top are beautiful, as is the work on the slothead. The neck however, leaves me a little disappointed. The walnut seems almost pitted, not a glass like finish as is on my other matte finish ovation. The area of the neck that goes into the body of the guitar looks almost plastic like. There is also a finishing dust that seems to have filled some of the small pits/voids on the neck (a whitish dust that I assume is from fiberglass finishing, or something of the like). So now, with all this taken into account -- I can again firmly say I LOVE this guitar, the way it sounds, the way it looks, etc.. However, had I not gotten it for such a good price ($1900, which is still more than other recent purchases I've seen in the for sale section), I think I would be upset over these finishing and nitpicky sound issues. I cannot imagine paying $4k for this guitar, which is its original price. I've never seen or held other high end Adamas such as the 47RI or the OFC custom, but I can't help but wonder if people feel like their guitar is/was worth the very high price, and how that guitar might compare to the 1680. I'd love to hear some feed back on my criticisms. Perhaps I'm just a little insane! Hopefully the pics work. The second pic is of my modification to the hercules guitar hanger.. After buying them, I realized that I couldn't hang these beautiful guitars next to a cheap piece of pine that the hercules comes mounted on stock.. So i switched those out for some nice pieces of walnut which match the guitars much better if I may say so!

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Nasdtrader
Posted 2009-01-17 9:03 PM (#433117 - in reply to #433116)
Subject: Re: A pic of my collection, and thoughts on 1680

Oh, I can't edit the post anymore, but something I forgot to add was -- what the heck is with the VIP preamp, and not being able to tune unless your plugged in??!! I mean really, who's big idea was that? Any good reasons for it, or more importantly, ways around it?
FlySig
Posted 2009-01-17 10:30 PM (#433118 - in reply to #433116)

No way around it. Either a dummy plug, a real plug, or an xlr with the correct grounding of the shell (special item). On my VIP it will flash if I put my hand on the xlr jack. Some folks have reported that their hand touching the xlr jack is enough to fool the system into turning on and letting you tune, though a spare hand would help in that task.
dweezil
Posted 2009-01-18 3:20 AM (#433119 - in reply to #433116)

Hi,

nice review and I completely agree with your experience of a spine chilling tone, some notes have a kinda demonic zingy harmonic presence to them, I oftern stop what I'm playing just to play them again. And yes it resonates like nothing else. The neck is to die for...

As for the VIP, I don't rate it - I would really be interested in seeing what the OP PRO STUDIO was like in there (in fact in all my VIP guitars).

You are in a very elite club owening a 1680 so welcome!
stephent28
Posted 2009-01-18 1:49 PM (#433120 - in reply to #433116)

Don't expect an Adamas to sound like an all wood guitar. That is why many of us also own Collings, Martin, Takamine, etc.

The Adamas sound is unique and for what it does is virtually unbeatable but it will never sound (nor was it meant to) like an all wood guitar.
Nasdtrader
Posted 2009-01-18 2:41 PM (#433121 - in reply to #433116)

Originally posted by stephent28:
Don't expect an Adamas to sound like an all wood guitar. That is why many of us also own Collings, Martin, Takamine, etc.

The Adamas sound is unique and for what it does is virtually unbeatable but it will never sound (nor was it meant to) like an all wood guitar.
Exactly! I didn't expect it to, I didn't know what to expect quite honestly, having never even picked one up before. Hopefully the overwhelming point of my review though was that I'm so happy with the way it does sound, and think its an amazing instrument. I just never really read a comparison of an Adamas to a high quality wood topped guitar, so thought I'd add one to the site.
stephent28
Posted 2009-01-18 3:06 PM (#433122 - in reply to #433116)

If you search you will find comments sprinkled throughout comparing Ovation/Adamas to all wood guitars.

The only universal loser seems to be "Taylor" :D
Nasdtrader
Posted 2009-01-18 5:08 PM (#433123 - in reply to #433116)

Originally posted by stephent28:
If you search you will find comments sprinkled throughout comparing Ovation/Adamas to all wood guitars.
Ha, yeah, I coulda tried that. I only did an half arsed search on "1680" and some other threads. Honestly, I'm a buy first, search later kinda guy! That way, I'm sure to get a new guitar, rather than hemming and hawing over a bunch of posts, and wondering what the heck I should do.
stephent28
Posted 2009-01-18 7:18 PM (#433124 - in reply to #433116)

Nice philosophy!
standing
Posted 2009-01-18 7:28 PM (#433125 - in reply to #433116)

Nasdtrader,

Very nice guitars, even your wall mounts are first-class ;-) You're thinking too much, just play 'em and enjoy 'em ;-) However, if you are looking for post-purchase reinforcement, this is one place that you'll get plenty of that, and/or lots of offers to buy it if you change your mind ;-)

Just curious, did you mount anything on the brick behind the bowls? I'd be worried about someone knocking the guitar and the bowl getting scraped on the rough surface of the brick…?
cliff
Posted 2009-01-19 8:03 AM (#433126 - in reply to #433116)

I bought a sheet of those clear silicone, hemispherical self-adhesive "feet".

Stick one on the wall where the bowl can possibly touch, and it just gives a gentle, little "bounce" . . .
Trader Jim
Posted 2009-01-19 8:47 AM (#433127 - in reply to #433116)

You also need to cut some walnut dowels into plugs to cover up the tapcons...
Nasdtrader
Posted 2009-01-19 8:52 AM (#433128 - in reply to #433116)

Originally posted by Trader Jim:
You also need to cut some walnut dowels into plugs to cover up the tapcons...
Tell me about it! I was going to, then i wasn't, then I was...etc... I didn't, and its already bugging me. I mean really, why did they have to go and make those things bright blue anyway!? (Of course the answer is precisely because you could immediately identify them from a pic!).

Yeah, regarding the bricks -- you can't see the layout of the room there, but the guitars are basically in a corner, so the only reason you'd be going over there would be to get them.. Hopefully no one would run into them, but I'm worried about small children more than anything else. I think its probably a good idea to put a small adhesive foam block, or something of the like behind each one.
cliff
Posted 2009-01-19 10:35 AM (#433129 - in reply to #433116)

y’Could also get away with a couple of punch-outs of walnut veneer (or vinyl) just t’hide the blueTapCons.

When we did the Autism gig last week, Temp needed a guitar that he could temporarily set-up t’play “lap” with.
MasterJeffy graciously offered up his FD-14.
After he put the nut-extender & a “B for high-E” string on it,
Temp was like “. . .Oh, Fook! . . . it’s got no position markers on the fingerboard!!! . . .”
I lept up from the dining room table and ran down to my garage.
Two minutes later (with the help of some scrap white pressure-sensitive lettering vinyl,
a three-hole punch, and an X-acto knife), we had “position markers”.

Jeffrey got (understandably) squeamish when I came running back towards his guitar with a knife in my hand . . .

btw; that guitar (even unplugged) sounded absolutely KILLER set up for lap!!

I stopped by the bar late last night, and they’re STILL talking about last Tuesday . . . .
Jeff W.
Posted 2009-01-19 10:46 AM (#433130 - in reply to #433116)

Cliff + Temp + Rare Guitar + Sharp Metal Object = Temporary loss of bladder control.

And Clifford is right, with the raised action and "B" for a high "E" string as a lap set-up, the (acoustic) volume was absolutely astounding and the tone was beautiful, just beautiful.
Paulcc1
Posted 2009-01-19 10:47 AM (#433131 - in reply to #433116)

"I'm worried about small children more than anything else. I think its probably a good idea to put a small adhesive foam block, or something of the like behind each one."

Go to a FarmWay and buy some electric fence that should keep them away.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)