The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Adding an Amp

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

Wagonmaster
Posted 2009-01-19 2:39 PM (#432872)
Subject: Adding an Amp

I'm getting ready to add a new amp. The model that I have in mind is the Roland AC-90. There is also an AC-60. Has anyone had any experience with either of these Amps and what would your opinion be of the product.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
cliff
Posted 2009-01-19 2:42 PM (#432873 - in reply to #432872)
Subject: Re: Adding an Amp

and They're "Off"!! . . . .
G8r
Posted 2009-01-19 2:46 PM (#432874 - in reply to #432872)

Wagonmaster - don't take this wrong - this topic has come up at least 3 times in the last few weeks. Use the "search" link at the top of the page.
FlySig
Posted 2009-01-19 2:49 PM (#432875 - in reply to #432872)

Roland AC-60: Good. Small, lightweight, nice gig bag. A bit sterile sounding to me, and not as loud as other brands.

Crate 60W acoustic: Better. Best tone of all we tested. A bit larger and heavier than the Roland, but manageable. Similar features otherwise to the Roland.
Wagonmaster
Posted 2009-01-19 3:22 PM (#432876 - in reply to #432872)

g8r, please don't take this wrong, but perhaps you didn't understand my question. I specifically asked if anyone had an opinion between the AC-60 and the AC-90, NOT just an opinion of the Roland Amp., or brand comparisons. Look as I might, I could not find a comparison between the two anywhere in the search field (which I checked before posting). On another note, thank you FlySig for your lucid, and generous opinion. While not a comparison between the two, much appreciated non the less, and suggests that I should broaden my horizon in considering an acoustic amp. There, now wasn't this fun........and nobody got hurt!!!
moody, p.i.
Posted 2009-01-19 3:35 PM (#432877 - in reply to #432872)

Wagonmaster, I understood your question and have an answer for you.

No, I don't have an opinion on your question.

Any more questions? I enjoy being helpful......
Wagonmaster
Posted 2009-01-19 3:48 PM (#432878 - in reply to #432872)

Good and fair answer. No questions at the moment, Moody, but if I do, I'll be sure to come to you first. I feel that it's incumbent upon me and anyone else to add to your joy in life. If that can be accomplished by asking you questions, by all means count me in.
G8r
Posted 2009-01-19 3:49 PM (#432879 - in reply to #432872)

Okey Dokey.

My suggestion to someone with 31 posts that they search the board archives (something of which most newbies are not aware) is shot down, even though said newbie gave no indication that he'd already done a search, because there's no "comparison between the two (specific Roland models) anywhere."

YET, someone else's comparison of completely different different amps is met with immense gratitude and praise.

Anyway, since the latter comparison seems to indeed be OK, here's one recent thread with several opinions/reviews of the AC-60, as does this other recent thread .
Wagonmaster
Posted 2009-01-19 4:09 PM (#432880 - in reply to #432872)

Well, g8r, let me first my express, lest you might think this post lacks authenticity in it's sincerity, my "immense gratitude and praise" for these threads to further my education. I might add that perhaps they could have been offered up with your first post. Perhaps along with your admonishment for the number of times the subject has appeared in recent weeks and for us "newbies" to search the archives. Secondly, and in the future, I will be sure to be more thorough and concise in my posting as to include such things as what research I have done on the matter. I can, indeed, see where that would be helpful in gathering a response from others. Fair enough?
Darkbar
Posted 2009-01-19 5:01 PM (#432881 - in reply to #432872)

I'm going to add to this lively discussion only because I just went through this acoustic amp search myself, and a future "searcher" on this forum may want this info.

I wanted an acoustic amp with 2 channels PLUS an auxilary channel for a drum/tape machine. It wasn't that easy to find for a decent price. I ended up finding a Fender Acoustasonic SFX-II, like brand new, on Craigslist for $400. New they are around $800 or so. Very happy with it, even though it's a bit large for lugging around. (but not too much for big hunky OFC'ers)

But if you just want vocals and a guitar there are tons of choices. I tried the Roland 90 and it was fine. I just like to cover all possible bases. I haven't even used the aux channel yet, but someday....
2ifbyC
Posted 2009-01-19 5:14 PM (#432882 - in reply to #432872)

Good try Serge... So much for trying to 'educate'.
stephent28
Posted 2009-01-19 5:16 PM (#432883 - in reply to #432872)

I liked the tit for tat........
cliff
Posted 2009-01-19 5:17 PM (#432884 - in reply to #432872)

Isn't the 90 just a larger version of the 60?? . . .
Wagonmaster
Posted 2009-01-19 5:54 PM (#432885 - in reply to #432872)

Originally posted by 2ifbyC:
Good try Serge... So much for trying to 'educate'.
Not sure I understand the reference, or how it lends itself to the thread. Perhaps its author can enlighten.
Weaser P
Posted 2009-01-19 6:07 PM (#432886 - in reply to #432872)

"Isn't the 90 just a larger version of the 60?? . . ."

According to Roland it is. A few more dials but I would think, with the same technological base, it would have to sound very similar to the 60. I guess I'm not exactly sure what the real question is...if it's features, that's easy. Google Roland.
stephent28
Posted 2009-01-19 6:11 PM (#432887 - in reply to #432872)

neodymium speakers which allows the AC90 to only weigh 4 pounds more than the AC60
moody, p.i.
Posted 2009-01-19 6:28 PM (#432888 - in reply to #432872)

Originally posted by g8r:
Okey Dokey.

My suggestion to someone with 31 posts that they search the board archives (something of which most newbies are not aware) is shot down, even though said newbie gave no indication that he'd already done a search, because there's no "comparison between the two (specific Roland models) anywhere."
Hell Serge, from my perspecitive you're still just a newbie!

But in this case, I agree with you. But not everybody is aware of the search/archive features available on the board.

But I would recommend that anybody new here should spend an afternoon (actually, more like several afternoons due to the age of the board and the number of threads), make yourself a pitcher of margueritas, and go thru all the old archives. It makes for great reading and you learn one helluva a lot about all things Ovations.....
cholloway
Posted 2009-01-19 6:40 PM (#432889 - in reply to #432872)

And have some chuckles. 'specially after the tequila kicks in.
Wagonmaster
Posted 2009-01-19 7:07 PM (#432890 - in reply to #432872)

Originally posted by moody, p.i.:
Okey Dokey.

Hell Serge, from my perspecitive you're still just a newbie!

But in this case, I agree with you. But not everybody is aware of the search/archive features available on the board.

But I would recommend that anybody new here should spend an afternoon (actually, more like several afternoons

due to the age of the board and the number of threads),

make yourself a pitcher of margueritas, and go thru all the old archives. It makes for great reading and you learn one helluva a lot about all things Ovations.....
Darkbar
Posted 2009-01-19 7:24 PM (#432891 - in reply to #432872)

Originally posted by darkbarguitar:
I'm going to add to this lively discussion only because ....
I guess, in hindsight, I didn't really need to add anything to this lively discussion. It was moving along quite well on it's own without my 2 cents worth.
Wagonmaster
Posted 2009-01-19 7:36 PM (#432892 - in reply to #432872)

Originally posted by moody, p.i.:
[qb] Okey Dokey.

But I would recommend that anybody new here should spend an afternoon (actually, more like several afternoons

"due to the age of the board and the number of threads),"

Exactly! And to that end, there is bound to be a repeat of of subject matter. A "newbie" (as they are called here) does not reflect the age, knowledge or experience that the poster. I read the rules of this board carefully. I can say with certainty that there wasn't anything in there about "newbies" reviewing the archives before posting. Does this mean that I disagree with the suggestion here that it be done, not at all. In fact, I think it's a very good idea and I plan on spending some time doing just that. There is a deeper issue here, however, that when one of you "old veterans" of this board seeks to admonish a new member for a completely appropriate question instead of offering a simple, courteous answer (which was ultimately forthcoming), and then politely referring to the search feature and how it could be utilized ...... maybe it's you that has been hanging around here too long. There is an old saying that "familiarity breeds contempt." There are young people coming to this board and I hope that they would be given instruction and productive direction. Finally, let me say just two more things; first, I'm 57 years old and have seen and been through too much in my life to let anyone on this board upset my me. Especially as it pertains to silly subjects as guitars and amps. Those are just things and don't really mean much in the great scheme of things, do they. Finally, and to everyone's relief I'm sure, this is my last post on this subject. Many thanks to those that offered some good discussion. The rest may carry on if so desired.

make yourself a pitcher of margueritas, and go thru all the old archives. It makes for great reading and you learn one helluva a lot about all things Ovations.....
Mark in Boise
Posted 2009-01-19 7:56 PM (#432893 - in reply to #432872)

Wagonmaster, I'm guessing you're reading too much into this. We have several crusty old farts on this board, myself included, but g8r isn't usually caustic. Looks like he didn't understand what you were asking, and if you go back to the original question, it wasn't that clear. You asked if anyone had experience with either of the amps. There's a bunch of prior posts on the AC60. We were all newbies once. I still remember asking a dumb question about the difference between 2 model numbers, which was obvious as soon as someone told me it was the cutaway. I expected a smart ass like me to have said something like "100", or if you'd have asked "what's the difference between an AC60 and an AC 90", I'd have said "30".
You have now been through the OFC equivalent of the snipe hunt. Don't take it personally. That comes later when I make my first visit to Maine.
At least you didn't ask about what kind of strings you should get or show up for your first post asking for the value of your guitar, with no identifying information or pictures. Could we interest you in a set of string tubes?
G8r
Posted 2009-01-19 8:05 PM (#432894 - in reply to #432872)

Is the term "newbie" exclusive to this board, or in any way signifies the age or life experience of one to whom it's applied? No on both counts, since newbie, noob and n00b are all Internet memes universally applied to one who recently joined a discussion board (or in its broader sense, new to the Internet).

Is a friendly attempt to direct a newbie to potentially volumes of helpful information on the requested topic normally construed as an admonishment? Not by the vast majority to whom such direction is given and who don't suffer from hypersensitivity.

Is it common to expect that someone else do all the work for you by conducting a search on your requested topic, filter through the results, and provide direct links to the most relevant discussions? Not in most quarters, but apparently such is the case in this instance.

Is it acceptable to enter into a new social situation and proceed to give backhanded insults to established members of that social group, without first trying to get a feel for the social dynamics? Apparently so.

Do I find it an incredibly pretentious and annoying rhetorical device when people pose questions and then immediately answer them? Absolutely.

CLICK
moody, p.i.
Posted 2009-01-19 8:15 PM (#432895 - in reply to #432872)

Boy, this thread sure took a right turn.......
lanaki
Posted 2009-01-19 8:39 PM (#432896 - in reply to #432872)

looks like a wrong turn to me.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)