Error encountered in: \\fs1-n02\stor2wc1dfw1\397573\426710\www.ovationfanclub.com\web\content\megabbs\templates\ovationfanclub\fragments\message.asp
Microsoft VBScript runtime error - Type mismatch
Viewing a thread - How's the Economy Affecting (your) Music?

The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
How's the Economy Affecting (your) Music?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

FlySig
Posted 2009-01-23 9:15 AM (#432457 - in reply to #432432)
Subject: Re: How's the Economy Affecting (your) Music?

This downturn has, for the time being, been good for my musical acquisitions. I purchased the '07C last summer when the factory blew out the 'frg' stock. My 19 yr old bought a 2178T. I bought myself a Hamer Newport.

I've been a cheap bastard for many years. Which means that we are in a position to take advantage of the current deflation.

My personal large purchases are over for the time being, but we will be buying my son a nice violin in the next month.

At work we have seen a 10% cut in flying, which directly translates to our paychecks. But I am senior enough to have only seen a 5% reduction. The wife will probably take a small paycut due to the latest Medicare cuts, but she has opportunities to pick up other contracts. Overall I don't feel panicked about the economy right now as far as our personal finances go. Now is the time to take advantage of deflation, before the coming runaway inflation.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mark in Boise
Posted 2009-01-23 10:18 AM (#432458 - in reply to #432432)

My wife's a postpartem nurse. They've seen almost a 50% drop in women having babies in the last few months and they are projecting a one third reduction over the next 6 months. (They track visits to doctors.) She was told to stay home from work 3 of the last 4 nights.
Back on track, apparently the economy reduces the number of babies, which reduces my wife's income, which means that she spends less of "her" money, which means she spends more of "our" money and there never was such a thing as "my" money. So I have less of "our" money for guitars.
MWoody
Posted 2009-01-23 10:26 AM (#432459 - in reply to #432432)

It means that I'm pushing the edge with aquisitions of really nice guitars at really sweet prices. If I could only sell somethng to justify it though.

Nobody pays me to play so it doesn't hit that way
Losov
Posted 2009-01-23 10:28 AM (#432460 - in reply to #432432)

Well, Mark I spend a lot of time in OB - was there around midnight and again at 0430 - no drop off in activity (on the east coast anyway.)
Fuzzyman
Posted 2009-01-23 12:26 PM (#432461 - in reply to #432432)

Things are actually better, were booked thru June.
stonebobbo
Posted 2009-01-23 12:56 PM (#432462 - in reply to #432432)

Originally posted by Mark in Boise:
They've seen almost a 50% drop in women having babies in the last few months and they are projecting a one third reduction over the next 6 months.
OK boys, looks like we've got our marching orders ... let's get our stimulus packages out there and help turn this economy around!
Mark in Boise
Posted 2009-01-23 2:23 PM (#432463 - in reply to #432432)

We normally have a high birth rate, being this close to Utah. I need to tell my Mormon friends to get back to business, so my wife can buy me more guitars.
Damon67
Posted 2009-01-23 2:30 PM (#432464 - in reply to #432432)

All purchasing on hold, but really, it's not like I "need" anything else. I'm very pleased with what I have, and some friends have helped with things that I needed to play live (Thanks again Miles).

I've been off my game for a bit, but have been playing more over the past week, and secured a spot for an "acoustic night" open mic on Monday. I have some other prospective paying gigs on the horizon, so I need to get on the ball and practice more.

I think the bars will be full of soggy pretzels, so there should be good opportunities for playing out.

I know my setlist is rather dark, and I've been looking at making it a bit brighter, but now I ask...

What's better in times of depression, uplifting or blue?
Capo Guy
Posted 2009-01-23 3:45 PM (#432465 - in reply to #432432)

Originally posted by Damon67:

I know my setlist is rather dark, and I've been looking at making it a bit brighter, but now I ask...

What's better in times of depression, uplifting or blue?
How to sing the blues.

Most blues begin "woke up this morning."
"I got a good woman" is a bad way to begin the blues, unless you stick something nasty in the next line:
I got a good woman-- "with the meanest dog in town".
Blues are simple. After you have the first line right, repeat it. Then find something that rhymes. Sort of:
Got a good woman with the meanest dog in town. He got teeth like Margaret Thatcher and he weighs about 500 pounds.
The blues are not about limitless choice.
Blues cars are Chevies and Cadillacs. Other acceptable blues transportation is Greyhound bus or a southbound train. Walkin' plays a major part in the blues lifestyle. So does fixin' to die.
Teenagers can't sing the blues. Adults sing the blues. Blues adulthood means old enough to get the electric chair if you shoot a man in Memphis.
You can have the blues in New York City, but not in Brooklyn or Queens. Hard times in Vermont or North Dakota are just a depression. Chicago, St. Louis and Kansas City are still the best places to have the blues.
The following colors do not belong in the blues:
violet
beige
mauvre
You can't have the blues in an office or a shopping mall, the lighting is wrong.
Good places for the Blues:
the highway
the jailhouse
the empty bed

Bad places:

Ashrams
Gallery openings
weekend in the Hamptons
No one will believe it's the blues if you wear a suit, unless you happen to be an old black man.
Do you have the right to sing the blues?
Yes, if:

your first name is a southern state--like Georgia
you're blind
you shot a man in Memphis.
you can't be satisfied.
No, if:

you were once blind but now can see.
you're deaf
you have a trust fund.
Neither Julio Iglesias nor Barbra Streisand can sing the blues.
If you ask for water and baby gives you gasoline, it's the blues.
Other blues beverages are:

wine
Irish whiskey
muddy water
Blues beverages are NOT:

Any mixed drink
Any wine kosher for Passover
Yoo Hoo (all flavors)
If it occurs in a cheap motel or a shotgun shack, it's blues death. Stabbed in the back by a jealous lover is a blues way to die. So is the electric chair, substance abuse, or being denied treatment in an emergency room. It is not a blues death, if you die during a liposuction treatment.
Some Blues names for Women
Sadie
Big Mama
Bessie
Some Blues Names for Men
Joe
Willie
Little Willie
Lightning
Persons with names like Sierra or Sequoia will not be permitted to sing the blues no matter how many men they shoot in Memphis.
Other Blues Names (Starter Kit)
Name of Physical infirmity (Blind, Cripple, Asthmatic)
First name (see above) or name of fruit (Lemon, Lime, Kiwi)
Last Name of President (Jefferson, Johnson, Fillmore, etc.)
Mix and Match

(Borrowed from the fingerstyle forum)
2ifbyC
Posted 2009-01-23 3:45 PM (#432466 - in reply to #432432)

Originally posted by Damon67:
uplifting or blue?
The uplifting oldies that bring back pleasant memories of 'pre-wage earning' carefree youth! The customers will get more depressed, drink more, thus making the owner happy and you get more gigs. Or they get really happy and celebrate their joyous bygone youth thereby accomplishing the above! Win - win...

Dr. Iffy has left the office... Call for appointments. :D
JeffreyD
Posted 2009-01-23 4:12 PM (#432467 - in reply to #432432)

In a round about way it is costing me a lot. My bank is re-aligning my department, so my "region" is changing. I will be selling my house, and moving to Kennewick/Richland (SE Washington) soon.

When that happens, I still plan on keeping up the worship duties at our start-up church in Hermiston, so it means I will be commuting to church on Sunday mornings and not getting to practice during the week with the group, so it may negatively impact our ministry in that way.

On the other hand, Washington doesn't have income tax, so hopefully that will benefit me more than the cost of sales tax.
cliff
Posted 2009-01-23 4:38 PM (#432468 - in reply to #432432)

Just got th'call today that my regular monthly solo "restaurant" gig has been cancelled . . .

. . . restaurant's been sold.
Slipkid
Posted 2009-01-23 4:44 PM (#432469 - in reply to #432432)

and boom goes the dynamite.
Losov
Posted 2009-01-23 4:54 PM (#432470 - in reply to #432432)

Originally posted by cliff:
Just got th'call today that my regular monthly solo "restaurant" gig has been cancelled . . .

. . . restaurant's been sold.
Wow! They CALLED you? Sweet. On more than one occasion I have shown up at the venue to find it locked and some sheriff's paper glued to the door.

Posted 2009-01-23 5:21 PM (#432471 - in reply to #432432)
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2009-01-23 5:34 PM (#432472 - in reply to #432432)

Originally posted by Capo Guy:

Other blues beverages are:

wine
Irish whiskey
muddy water

Blues beverages are NOT:

Any mixed drink
Any wine kosher for Passover
I beg to differ... MadDog 20/20 is Kosher and it is Definitely a Blues Beverage! :cool:
Capo Guy
Posted 2009-01-23 7:19 PM (#432473 - in reply to #432432)

OMA,

With a brand name like MadDog 20/20, it should be in a blues song. :D
Mark in Boise
Posted 2009-01-23 7:28 PM (#432474 - in reply to #432432)

JefferyD, sorry to hear about the forced move. I will continue to promise to visit you someday. It might be more likely after the move. The Tri-cities area is our jumping off point for an annual winery tour. It's on the weekend before Memorial Day. I'll be there unless we have the Factory Tour that weekend. Al will let us know which it will be.
dobro
Posted 2009-01-24 12:54 PM (#432475 - in reply to #432432)

Just heard an NPR segment on mom-and-pop (brick n' mortar) record shops... Very sad. Everyone was shocked when the mighty Tower toppled. But the corner music store and record store is a deep and significant part of our childhood and youth. So sad to see them obliterated!

I religiously try to buy CDs and guitar strings at two little shops here that are still standing.
tragocaster
Posted 2009-01-24 5:48 PM (#432476 - in reply to #432432)

Between October and December I was gigging about 6 nights a week with both my own band, and filling in with other peoples bands. Also some solo or duo acoustic work too. That was GREAT for helping out with Christmas!

Alas, those gigs are all played out and I'm back down to one regular Tuesday night open jam that I host every week. I'm out there now, trying to hustle more work, and it's not real hopeful out there now.

I'm thinking seriously about:

1. Playing some nursing home gigs.

2. Playing solo for tips at the local, small town watering hole.

3. Look for work in the next county over (which isn't quite as economically depressed).

5. Get back in to teaching guitar.

Gotta do SOMEthin'!
dobro
Posted 2009-01-27 7:59 PM (#432477 - in reply to #432432)

So much for the theory that people will seek out music and entertainment to escape the blues!
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)