The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Open Mic Question

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

Losov
Posted 2009-01-24 8:31 PM (#431905)
Subject: Open Mic Question

How did you guys who host open stages get into it? Did the venue call you or was it your idea?

I was thinking that I could approach some local clubs that do not have music and pitch the idea of having open mic night. I could point out that this brings in not only the artist, but his friends, all of whom will have to stay around to wait his turn; essentially Karaoke with guitars. Like many Karaoke guys, I think I'd have the participants do one song at a time and then come back later for other songs so they wouldn't just play a short set and leave.

Do you do first come first serve, call to reserve a spot, sign up sheets, what? It seems like such a good idea, but there are not all that many open stages, so there must be some pitfalls. What questions should I be asking that I'm not? Or is this more trouble than it's worth?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Captain Lovehandles
Posted 2009-01-25 12:11 AM (#431906 - in reply to #431905)
Subject: Re: Open Mic Question

Starting with the last question, if it works, it could be so much fun that it's worth a great deal of trouble. Go for it.

If it were me, I'd let them show up and sign a list. Take them in the order they signed up, but save a couple of ringers for later. If the crowd knows that some really good talent is coming later, they may stick around. And these people would get the idea that they are headlining.

One song at a time would be a pain if there were much set up time in between. Maybe two songs apiece one time through the list, then back through with two more.
cliff
Posted 2009-01-25 3:12 AM (#431907 - in reply to #431905)

It's usually done with a sign-up sheet (& done in that order), & usually 2-3 songs.
Just be aware that if nobody shows (or y'run out of people who wanna' play), it becomes "your gig" for the night . . .
Slipkid
Posted 2009-01-25 8:03 AM (#431908 - in reply to #431905)

I've been to one open mic where the "host", opened the show with a twenty minute set while the volunteers sat & waited.

The Captain is right about the excessive set up time for just one song. Two songs is about right. If they 1)setup quick 2)have their guitars in tune and 3)don't spent five minutes yapping to the crowd about their life issues, give the a third song.
Gallerinski
Posted 2009-01-25 8:41 AM (#431909 - in reply to #431905)

Fiddlers Dream here in my town does it nice. It's a small renovated old barn with stage at one end and old church pews for seats. Coffee bar in the rear. You get 10 minutes for a donation of 3 non-parishable foods that go to the food bank. First come first serve sign up sheet.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2009-01-25 8:54 AM (#431910 - in reply to #431905)

Here's a really good open mic tip I learned the hard way. Buy or make a couple of guitar cords with a switched plug (Neutrik make good switched jack plugs) These plugs have the hot terminal shorted and they only work when they are plugged into a socket, when a simple mechanism reconnects the hot. Inexperienced musicians not used to playing plugged-in invariably unplug their guitars as soon as they've finished their set, usually before whoever's running the board has a chance to mute the channel, producing the typical bang of the battery switching off, but much louder! Make sure everyone uses the switched cable and you'll save the audiences ears, and possibly a speaker or two.

Neutrik Slient Plug
Losov
Posted 2009-01-25 10:35 AM (#431911 - in reply to #431905)

The silent plug is a real good idea. I always use a volume pedal for this purpose, but I can't expect that they'll remember to use it. I have no problem filling in the time if there are few or no artists signing up, but I can't imagine there wouldn't be. You just show up with your guitar, only play just the few songs you really want to play and you don't have to slug through four hours. Plus all the not-ready-for-prime-timers will have the experience of facing a receptive audience.

I'm still on the fence about how to handle the how many songs at once question. I see pros and cons in either direction.

There are a couple of open mics on weeknights in my area. I'm going to check them out and see how they handle it. Thanks for the responses
fillhixx
Posted 2009-01-25 12:18 PM (#431912 - in reply to #431905)

I think each player needs at least two songs. One to calm down with, and one to show what they sound like after they've calmed.

It's a good idea if the host (you) reminds people who are 'on deck' to be ready to go.

+1 on the switched plug idea.
PEZ
Posted 2009-01-26 12:55 AM (#431913 - in reply to #431905)

I had one I hosted and got it as the owner was getting devorced and hubby had been hosting.
I lost when the placed was sold and new hubby decided he could do it even though he could not operate the pa ...
Open mic was gone 6 weeks later
CanterburyStrings
Posted 2009-01-26 12:31 PM (#431914 - in reply to #431905)

The biggest hassle is that the host gets to haul the equipment. It helps if you bring a friend or two. We do it with a sign up sheet, two songs each, then back for a second round. As Fillhixx said, it is a VERY good idea to let the person "on deck" know it's time to get ready. And if for some reason they aren't ready when it's their turn, either get up and do a number yourself, or have the next person come on.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)