The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
If you want to be in my band... (rant)

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

FlySig
Posted 2009-01-25 3:58 PM (#431816)
Subject: If you want to be in my band... (rant)

1) If you don't want to focus during rehearsal, don't bother showing up.

2) If you don't show up on time, every time, for rehearsal, you're not in the band.

3) If I spend hours tabbing out your part, don't tell me you left your copy at home. Play through it at least once before showing up to rehearsal so that when I hand you the extra copy that I brought, you don't have to look so obviously lost.

4) Don't pull out your cell phone in the middle of a song to see who texted you. Drums are the backbone of the song. We need you to keep playing.

5) Don't crank you amp up and play other songs while a couple of us are figuring out the timing of a transition.

6) Don't tell me that the keyboard part is too hard. Put on some headphones and listen to the song once. You'll realize that the sheet music includes the bass guitar, vocal melody, and even some sax parts.

7) Listen to each song at least once at home before rehearsal. Play through each song at least once at home before rehearsal.

It's a good thing I'm just a volunteer helper and not in charge, because there'd be nobody left if I enforced these rules. :rolleyes: Pass the valium!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
BT717
Posted 2009-01-25 4:16 PM (#431817 - in reply to #431816)
Subject: Re: If you want to be in my band... (rant)

I hear every word you just said!
Chuck (Retired Navy)
Posted 2009-01-25 4:51 PM (#431818 - in reply to #431816)

Key words to keep in mind for any band!
:eek:
MWoody
Posted 2009-01-25 4:57 PM (#431819 - in reply to #431816)

Dude, you are so there... as was I.

It might be time to take a "break" and not "help out". Especially in church Volunteer/Worship bands it can be such a circus.

Let the Leader know that you are a little frustrated (and why) and take some time off. When you come back it may be better or it may be status quo.

Then you can see if it is what you really are called for. If the Leader is really listening they will try to to improve. If not, don't let them take you down to the burned out and bitter stage.

BTW - I'm still working on #5...
Fridave
Posted 2009-01-25 5:20 PM (#431820 - in reply to #431816)

Those are the reasons I play solo. And I don't have to split the money with anyone !! (now if I could just retire from this day job so I had some time to play gigs...)
Trader Jim
Posted 2009-01-25 7:11 PM (#431821 - in reply to #431816)

I always leave my cell phone off during practice.
edensharvest
Posted 2009-01-25 7:23 PM (#431822 - in reply to #431816)

Same here...and after 4 hours leading youth music services today, I spent the next hour relabeling and organizing the entire sound system, cables, DI's, mics, the whole enchilada. Found 4 extra cables, 3 extension cords, 1 DI box that didn't work, 2 surge protectors, a pencil, and about 4 pounds of lint behind the stage. All gone now, and everything is OVER-labeled...including outlines on the stage with numbers in them showing where all the stuff goes when it's time to PUT IT AWAY!

I would add one rule to your band checklist:

8) If you're not going to stay and help put your stuff away, don't bother showing up.
Trader Jim
Posted 2009-01-25 7:29 PM (#431823 - in reply to #431816)

Ah, the one thing I have a real problem with. Thanks Andrew!
TAFKAR
Posted 2009-01-25 7:41 PM (#431824 - in reply to #431816)

A church youth group I was involved in years ago had very frustrating practices. One evening I was with two other members and we were complaining about this when one of them said "You know it's us. Every single off-topic conversation is either started by one of us, or perpetuated by one of us". After a bit of denial, we made a real effort to make sure practice stayed on topic and it made a huge difference.

Sometimes, "the problem" needs to develop a bit of self-awareness.
Captain Lovehandles
Posted 2009-01-25 7:46 PM (#431825 - in reply to #431816)

I fired myself for a while, then came back on a rotating basis with two other guys. Now I look forward to it.
ozwatto
Posted 2009-01-26 1:29 AM (#431826 - in reply to #431816)

Totally agree Fly Sig....

here's one more....if you are the bass player and "don't know what to play" during the solo then it's time to either learn, or drop that song even if you think you sing it well!!!
Fuzzyman
Posted 2009-01-26 7:22 AM (#431827 - in reply to #431816)

Ah,........the joy's of being in a band.
MWoody
Posted 2009-01-26 9:00 AM (#431828 - in reply to #431816)

RE: "If you're not going to stay and help put your stuff away"

Andrew, I miss you man... but good luck with that. I threatened 3 times to sell Derrick's guitar on Ebay and he still wouldn't put it away!

Dang Lefty's are hard to sell anyway.
MWoody
Posted 2009-01-26 9:03 AM (#431829 - in reply to #431816)

Oh yeah, what is sheet music??
cliff
Posted 2009-01-26 10:27 AM (#431830 - in reply to #431816)

Sounds like some of you guys might need t'find a new & different hobby . . .

Isn't the idea behind all this to RELIEVE stress??

There's a reason they call it "playing" . . .
MWoody
Posted 2009-01-26 10:45 AM (#431831 - in reply to #431816)

Where three or more are gathered there will be conflict.
If one of them has amplification it will be utter chaos...

Have you ever had to oversee a Project that involved "Volunteers"?

Is there a reason that you're not part of a "Three-Man Show"?
cliff
Posted 2009-01-26 10:58 AM (#431832 - in reply to #431816)

Actually, I am.
(it's basically TwoManGroup with a keyboardist)
Trying to add a percussionist, but as of yet, NoLuck.
First thing I ask (via e-mail):
"Can you play a cajon??"
When they respond "What's a cajon?", I delete the e-mail . . .
TANSTAAFL
Posted 2009-01-26 11:00 AM (#431833 - in reply to #431816)

If you're not willing to tap your foot and stay in time with the music, I don't want you in my band.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2009-01-26 11:43 AM (#431834 - in reply to #431816)

Originally posted by FlySig:
1) If you don't want to focus during rehearsal, don't bother showing up.

2) If you don't show up on time, every time, for rehearsal, you're not in the band.

3) If I spend hours tabbing out your part, don't tell me you left your copy at home. Play through it at least once before showing up to rehearsal so that when I hand you the extra copy that I brought, you don't have to look so obviously lost.

4) Don't pull out your cell phone in the middle of a song to see who texted you. Drums are the backbone of the song. We need you to keep playing.

5) Don't crank you amp up and play other songs while a couple of us are figuring out the timing of a transition.

6) Don't tell me that the keyboard part is too hard. Put on some headphones and listen to the song once. You'll realize that the sheet music includes the bass guitar, vocal melody, and even some sax parts.

7) Listen to each song at least once at home before rehearsal. Play through each song at least once at home before rehearsal.

It's a good thing I'm just a volunteer helper and not in charge, because there'd be nobody left if I enforced these rules. :rolleyes: Pass the valium!
Really? I guess it depends on the focus of the band. If it is as Cliff stated, to relax, have fun... then your list is not unreasonable.

If it's to be a professional band, at least the ones I have been in, "rehearsal" is just that. REHEARSAL. You "practice" and "learn" the tunes on your own time.

You can certainly come with all the cheat sheets and cues and sheet music or whatever you need to get through the sets, probably making more notes along the way too.

#5 is the only thing that really applies. As with any collaborative effort, working out the choreography the nuance, putting the dressing on a tune is the fun part of a Rehearsal. You would think everyone would want to pay attention even if a particular aspect only involved only two of the players. To do anything else is just rude.

From rehearsal day one, I expect we can play the entire set(s) all the way through. Maybe not very well the first time together, but certainly everyone pretty much knows all the parts.

Your mileage may vary.
Captain Lovehandles
Posted 2009-01-26 12:00 PM (#431835 - in reply to #431816)

Of course, Sig did say up front it's a rant. Sometimes you need to blow off steam with folks who get you.

Sig, I think you'd like me in your band. The coordinator for our church band said she's never seen a guitarist like me before, who had the music learned and everything plugged in and tuned up before practice starts. I'm the guy who comes early and sets up half of everybody else's stuff too. I just don't like being the person who makes everybody else wait.
MWoody
Posted 2009-01-26 12:18 PM (#431836 - in reply to #431816)

"When they respond "What's a cajon?", I delete the e-mail"

Now that is a great screening technique! There should be be more of an "Entrance Exam" for a lot of church activities, especially Bands.
Jeff W.
Posted 2009-01-26 12:23 PM (#431837 - in reply to #431816)

Two words; "CastingCouch"
cliff
Posted 2009-01-26 12:34 PM (#431838 - in reply to #431816)

Tests out the whole "rhythm"-thing . . .
FlySig
Posted 2009-01-26 12:34 PM (#431839 - in reply to #431816)

Capt, you sound just like me. When we have a sound check, I'm the guy that is all set up and tuned up and warmed up.

Now I'm going to sound like my Dad, but I think that kids these days have it too easy. They really want the band and music served up to them, ready to go. Like the guitarists and bassists that don't read normal music notation and want a TAB printed off of the internet. Presto! Other than the adults, I don't think that any of the various band members have ever put on a set of headphones and just listened to the song before rehearsal. They think that hearing it in passing on the radio a few months ago and a chord sheet will get them through.

At times I've seen the girls get together during rehearsal and work out some nice vocal harmonies. The kids aren't totally bereft of work ethic. But the side conversations and text messaging eat up at least half of our rehearsal time. Then, during those lulls, the other kids start making all kinds of noise, playing other songs that aren't part of our repertoire and just goofing off. So then it takes a couple of minutes to get everyone back on task.

Yes, it should be FUN. Goofing off a bit is fine. 50% goofing off, though, hurts the overall effort.

We're playing a really tough song next week, James Taylor's "Shed a Little Light", which is three weeks past the original schedule. The kids show no concern that we missed our date and that they aren't helping us move forward.

Then, there's the charity concert we play in less than 5 weeks. None of the kids seem concerned about learning or re-learning songs. Part of it is surely that teens think that 5 weeks is an eternity away. I know we'll pull it off, but due to the hard work of the two adults.

I sure remember playing and practicing songs for hours when I was in High School. And not wanting to be the screw up at rehearsal that kept causing the band not to be able to get through the songs. Nowadays the kids seem more concerned about missing a text message than missing their cue.
cliff
Posted 2009-01-26 12:38 PM (#431840 - in reply to #431816)

Perhaps they need to "bomb" in front of a crowd a couple times & learn it "the hard way" . . .

. . . like we all did.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)