The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
How to humidify the O

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

Tom A.
Posted 2009-01-28 3:30 PM (#431239)
Subject: How to humidify the O

I tried a search on humidify and didn't get any hits.

I have a 2778 LX and was wondering how everyone else humidifies their O's. I leave my O on a guitar stand for easy access and want to make sure I'm not drying out the wood.

Thanks,
T
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mark in Boise
Posted 2009-01-28 4:02 PM (#431240 - in reply to #431239)
Subject: Re: How to humidify the O

"Humidifier" should get a ton of hits, but it's probably in the Archives. Seems to be a long thread on this every winter. Try "Dampit" if you can't find it.
BT717
Posted 2009-01-28 4:03 PM (#431241 - in reply to #431239)

Tom,
If your Guitar is in a room that is at a Humidity level of I beleive between 45-55% then you are fine, but, that is rarely the case. I use a Damp-it guitar humidifier. It is a 10" long rubber tube with a "sponge" like material inside to hold water. Slips right inside one of the holes. (Ok you guys with the dirty minds, I'm trying to help him)Anyway,any guitar store should have them. I think the run between 15 & 20 dollars.
dweezil
Posted 2009-01-28 4:51 PM (#431242 - in reply to #431239)

How do you measure a rooms humidity?

Also how do you measure the humidity in a closed case?
ProfessorBB
Posted 2009-01-28 4:54 PM (#431243 - in reply to #431239)

Most of us run room humidifiers during the dry winter months, and dehumidifiers during the wet summer months. Best way to determine your needs is to use a room humidistat.
FlySig
Posted 2009-01-28 4:54 PM (#431244 - in reply to #431239)

In a dry climate, or during the winter with the heat running, a Dampit doesn't seem to me to be up to the task unless the guitar is kept in the case and you re-wet the damp-it daily.

We have a Sears brand humidifier that is rated for a small house. It is in the music room and the door is kept closed. The humidity stays at 50% easily, and we have to refill the tank about every two days.

When we had an open room downstairs as the music room, the humidifier ran non-stop. Even though the humidity near the humidifier was close to 50%, at the other side of the room it was 30% just due to air moving freely. FWIW, I would recommend a fairly hefty humidifier and to keep your guitars in a room with restricted airflow. A bedroom with an open door would work ok but you'll be refilling the humidifier more frequently. An open floor plan will require a lot more humidification capacity sufficient for the whole house.
dweezil
Posted 2009-01-28 4:55 PM (#431245 - in reply to #431239)

And to measure the humidity inside the case?
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2009-01-28 5:06 PM (#431246 - in reply to #431239)

Damp-its come with a little humidity meter-thingie.

Take a plastic film can, punch six holes in it and put in a damp little sponge. Put it in your case.

Or I got these... Herco Humidifiers - $4 Free shipping, and they put candy in the package! :eek:

And I also have a Thrift-Store humidifier in my room. It only keeps the room around 38%, but when I put my guitars in their cases they have the little can of wet clay in there. You just re-wet them when you put the guitar back in the case. Or every two weeks, if a guitar sits in the case that long.

Oh! And Dweezil, I thought it was always humid in England?
We have comfortable humidity here in the Great Northwest...
But the central air/heat in my building dries the air out, hence the humidifiers.
stephent28
Posted 2009-01-28 7:51 PM (#431247 - in reply to #431239)

You'll learn all about the effects of humidity when you pull you baby out of the case and see an ugly crack!

This happened to me one time and I learned my lesson really well. Had one sold for a grand and when I pulled it out of the closet to ship, saw the crack....goodbye sale....which ultimately sold for $600.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2009-01-28 8:00 PM (#431248 - in reply to #431239)

Dweezil, you have too many guitars to try to humidify them in their cases. Get a room humidifier and leave them out.
I'm having problems keeping the basement up to 45% this winter. I don't know if it's the filters getting dirty or if the furnace is drying things out more this winter.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)