The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
wrist pains?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

guitar309
Posted 2009-01-28 4:07 PM (#431097)
Subject: wrist pains?

has anyone else experienced any wrist pains while playing.... I have had this problem for over a year... I recently tried these wrist straps and actually helped out a bunch.. thought I would share with everyone if anyone else has experienced the same thing... what causes it? to much bending of the wrist??

www.newgrip.com/musician.html

they work! thats all I know
Top of the page Bottom of the page
BT717
Posted 2009-01-28 6:54 PM (#431098 - in reply to #431097)
Subject: Re: wrist pains?

I'm taking your word for it. I just ordered a pair. My wrists have been very sore and feeling "Weak" lately. I'm willing to try just about anything.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2009-01-28 7:03 PM (#431099 - in reply to #431097)

Aside from age-related issues such as arthritis if you experience pain directly related to playing guitar it's often a result of poor posture and/or incorrect technique. Might be worth having a good guitar teacher take a look at what you're doing. It's amazing how a simple change in stance can cure stuff like this.
John B
Posted 2009-01-28 7:08 PM (#431100 - in reply to #431097)

Paul is right. When I started trying some more complex barre chords, I began having chronic pain in my wrist. In my case, holding the guitar a bit higher (shortening the strap by one notch) completely solved the problem.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2009-01-28 7:10 PM (#431101 - in reply to #431097)

It's very popular to strap on a guitar and have it hang by your crotch. The better position for ease of play is much much higher.....
guitarwannabee
Posted 2009-01-28 7:21 PM (#431102 - in reply to #431097)

moody what are you playing with ?
this is scaring me :confused:
ease of play and hang by your crotch in the same sentence :eek: :eek: GWB
moody, p.i.
Posted 2009-01-28 7:28 PM (#431103 - in reply to #431097)

Originally posted by guitarwannabee:
moody what are you playing with ?
this is scaring me :confused:
ease of play and hang by your crotch in the same sentence :eek: :eek: GWB
Dirty minds on this board.

Everybody who wears their guitars slung low should try shortening up the strap. You'll be amazed at how much easier it is to play the guitar.....
Paulcc1
Posted 2009-01-28 7:36 PM (#431104 - in reply to #431097)

I agree
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2009-01-28 8:55 PM (#431105 - in reply to #431097)

All good points...

Moody, I was taught to put the strap on my guitar while seated, that way the guitar is at the same height/position when you stand-up with it. I may not look as Cool, but Oh Well!

Also, I know that my left-hand technique is totally wrong, but to change that would me starting totally over from scratch. :mad:

But on the Real Side... That wrist thing...
It is OLD AGE!

[I'll wait until more of you review that wrist-brace-thingie]
guitar309
Posted 2009-01-28 9:51 PM (#431106 - in reply to #431097)

yes you all are correct... the proper way to hold your guitar and the alignment of the thumb will greatly help your hand and wrist.. the main reason is that your wrist is not straining so much to bend around the neck.. its at a much natural position..

but everyone should look up a google search for carpal tunnel and tendinitis in guitar players and drummers.. any time you bend your wrist or use your hands much you are at a much higher risk... do some research and you can really understand why it is very important to take care of your wrists no matter how you hold your guitar and play... no matter how you hold or play guitar you put strain on your joints.. this is why there are so many people out there that have had wrist problems..
I am one of them... I have worked on proper hand and guitar positioning with not much relief... I don't own this product.. I won't work for this company.. I am just saying.. these things worked great for me.. and I feel saved my playing.. I think some of you just haven't felt the wrist pain bt717 and I have felt so it is hard to tell someone how to correct it when they are still playing correctly :) www.newgrip.com/musician.html

go ahead try them.. the have a money back guarantee.. but if your skeptical you can email me... I will tell you about my experience with them..
stonebobbo
Posted 2009-01-29 3:19 AM (#431107 - in reply to #431097)

Originally posted by moody, p.i.:
It's very popular to strap on a guitar and have it hang by your crotch. The better position for ease of play is much much higher.....
Never one to intentionally try to be popular, I do use a strap, but I hang it from my neck and not my crotch. Although I do like to play my guitars slung kinda low ... that would be hard to play.

But everytime I have put on someone else's Ovation who likes short straps, I find the roundback bowl sits on top of my own little roundfront and causes the face of the guitar to point to the sky. Which in turn causes me to have to crank my wrist around to finger the board which is also pointing to the sky. Which feels real unnatural to be. I gotta believe my wrist would hury like hell if I played that way for a couple of hours. I find it easier and more comfortsable to play guitars with my arms more extended. So there you go.
BT717
Posted 2009-01-29 6:43 AM (#431108 - in reply to #431097)

I have allways had my strap adjusted so that my guitar's back or bowl sits (as best as I can describe it) dead center on my gut on approx. a 45-50% angle. This postion IS the most comforatable with what I feel has the least amount of strain on my wrists. I believe my problem is more from 25 years of road cycling and being in a position that put a lot of weight and strain on my wrists.I also have a neck problem due to the same positioning. It was a normal week to ride 250 miles ,so 15 hours in the saddle a week adds up.
gulfcoast
Posted 2009-01-29 10:21 AM (#431109 - in reply to #431097)

I`ve hade to go back to mostly 1 11/16 nuts because of my LH pinky and wrist. I love the wide necks for my RH but their just not working out for my LH.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2009-01-29 10:27 AM (#431110 - in reply to #431097)

I think moody just got his straps confused. We were talking about GUITAR straps, Paul. He probably had a loss of blood to the brain from his wedgey because of the way he was sitting.
BT717
Posted 2009-02-02 3:14 PM (#431111 - in reply to #431097)

Just received my "New Grip" wriststraps I purchased Thursday after reading the original "topic". I had been playing after lunch for 45 miniutes or so and stopped due to my wrists being "tender" and "Tired feeling". Ok, I tend to be skeptical about things like this, but, I just got done strumming and finger picking for 15 mins PAIN FREE!? I'm confused and amazed!! These work!! I read the directions/decription on how and why they work and it makes sense. Stabilizes, supports, keeps wrist warm and promotes blood flow bringing oxygen to the "damaged areas" of the wrist.
I would suggest these to anyone with the same problem.
Capo Guy
Posted 2009-02-02 3:32 PM (#431112 - in reply to #431097)

Do you wear them on both wrists?

Also is there a size chart?
ProfessorBB
Posted 2009-02-02 3:52 PM (#431113 - in reply to #431097)

I wonder if I could get a set with some studs?
BT717
Posted 2009-02-02 3:54 PM (#431114 - in reply to #431097)

Yes, They come in "pairs" and 4 sizes. Small, Med, Large, X-large. They don't look like much, but again, work for me!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)