The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Got time to breathe, got time for music." --Briscoe Darling.

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
MOST DESIREABLE ADAMAS?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

Hobie Dave
Posted 2009-01-29 8:55 AM (#430999)
Subject: MOST DESIREABLE ADAMAS?

I have an Elite Legend 1735 that is really growing on me. I read it has the same structure as the Adamas. I'm thinking if I like the 1735 how much more the Adamas! No one stocks the Adamas in the Indianapolis area so I can't go and play em' like all the other brands. Why don't the big stores carry the Adamas anyway? I've heard some models aren't as impressive unplugged as plugged in. So which models really roar plugged and unplugged? Any models that are less desireable? What could I get out of my 1735 with OHSC? BTY the posts here are most intertaining to say the least. There must be some WACKY history going on! THANKS!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Slipkid
Posted 2009-01-29 9:07 AM (#431000 - in reply to #430999)
Subject: Re: MOST DESIREABLE ADAMAS?

There are many good ones to choose from, and few to avoid.
The general concensis is a texured top, deep bowl is the way to go. There are other variables that by themselves don't make much difference.

And... talk to Al. Even if you don't end up buying one from him you'll at least get some education from the guy who knows.
Mitzdawg
Posted 2009-01-29 9:19 AM (#431001 - in reply to #430999)

The MOST Desireable Adamas is THE ONE that you've hunted for weeks and finally find listed in an Ad in Vintage Guitar Magazine and also on the company's website and when you call to arrange to purchase it you find that THE ONE has been sold for quite some time and the proprietor didn't bother to change his ads.

THAT'S the MOST DESIRABLE One. :mad:

(This rant brought to you courtesy of Kummer's Vintage Guitars, whose advertisements are apparently works of fiction.)
Gallerinski
Posted 2009-01-29 9:26 AM (#431002 - in reply to #430999)

You need to work with a dealer who specializes in these types of products - used vintage, new, and special orders. Your local big box music retailer, or online internet catalog isn't gonna cut it.
bvince
Posted 2009-01-29 9:29 AM (#431003 - in reply to #430999)

Another idea would be to go to a guitar trade show (I believe you have one anually in Columbus or Indianapolis) or you could see if there are any OFC members that own Adamas guitars in your area that would meet up with you and let you try them out for yourself. There are also get togethers organized on this sight where these guys bring their guitars together and have a lot of fun. I agree with Brad that (depending on what sound you really want) anything with a textured top and deep bowl would be outstanding. Other features are pretty much a matter of personal preference. When all is said and done, you might find out however that you like the wood top instead. You'll never know what swimming is like until you get in the water. And you'll never know what GAS is until your up to your ears in guitar debt.
Captain Lovehandles
Posted 2009-01-29 9:29 AM (#431004 - in reply to #430999)

Is there a dealer in Chicago you could visit? The Adamas website lists a few.
kotadawg
Posted 2009-01-29 9:32 AM (#431005 - in reply to #430999)

Originally posted by Mitzdawg:
The MOST Desireable Adamas is THE ONE that you've hunted for weeks and finally find listed in an Ad in Vintage Guitar Magazine and also on the company's website and when you call to arrange to purchase it you find that THE ONE has been sold for quite some time and the proprietor didn't bother to change his ads.

THAT'S the MOST DESIRABLE One. :mad:

(This rant brought to you courtesy of Kummer's
Vintage Guitars, whose advertisements are apparently works of fiction.)
Sorry it didn't work out for you, Mitz. I bought my UK II there and it's still listed on the website.
dobro
Posted 2009-01-29 9:48 AM (#431006 - in reply to #430999)

I have not run across any Adamas guitars in the shops here, nor have I heard of an Adamas dealer. Could be my omission but... When I had my Adamas 1581-5 RI in the shop (installed a new pickup system with on-board EQ/tuner) the guys said that they occasionaly see an Adamas come through, but that is a rare thing.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2009-01-29 9:56 AM (#431007 - in reply to #430999)

There needs to be a OFC gathering in CT at the factory this year. Go to that and you'll be able to play every type of Ovation and Adamas known to mankind. And that's just what people bring with them to the hotel lobby jam. It get's even more interesting at the factory......
dobro
Posted 2009-01-29 10:02 AM (#431008 - in reply to #430999)

For what it's worth, Dave: Our trio is playing Katerina's on Irving Park in Chicago this Wednesday 2/4 (www.katerinas.com)from 7-9. Please see the show and take my Adamas for a test-drive!
Mitzdawg
Posted 2009-01-29 10:12 AM (#431009 - in reply to #430999)

The State of the Union on Adamases for Sale:

There are tons of Melissa Etheridge white 6's and red 12's out there.

There are pantloads of 2080s and W597s available.

There is one 1597-RG in Chicago that's for sale.

There are maybe a dozen textured tops, mostly non-cutaway, and Al is selling most of them.

There is one Millennium for sale in Scotland.

There are few if any textured cutaways for sale. Al has a couple.

There is one Universe for sale in Japan but it has a broken LHS Epi.

I went to Every Single Dealer who had an ad in Vintage Guitar Magazine or who came up under "vintage guotars" in Google or Gbase to ferret what's there.
Gallerinski
Posted 2009-01-29 10:53 AM (#431010 - in reply to #430999)

OFC GUITAR II

Let's not forget that Al expects delivery soon (?) of the new batch of OFC Guitars !!! If I recall correctly it's a hotrod 2080 with modified electronics, neck, blackburst finish and fiberglass bowl. Yummy.

I also think Al has 08 Adamas Collectors and plenty of other goodies. I know two other shops that also have 08C in stock.

There's PLENTY of Adamas guitars out there. You need to put a little effort into the hunt and be ready to pony up the cash when you find what you want.

Toby
MusicMishka
Posted 2009-01-29 1:24 PM (#431011 - in reply to #430999)

I cannot recommend the 08C highly enough...besides classy smart looks, it plays and sounds fabulous...
Don't even think about it: grab one of the few left available now...this will be a highly sought after collectable: the only Adamas collector guitar...
Weaser P
Posted 2009-01-29 1:36 PM (#431012 - in reply to #430999)

There's no question, Dave, there is a lack of spots to sit and try various Adamas models, much unlike the Taylors, Martins and Gibsons out there where you can find at least 5 or six different models in every GC. Do a search here - it's been discussed ad nauseum. If you're really interested in playing a slew of them, there's really no easy alternative to an OFC gathering, the motherload of which, as Moody said, was the annual Factory Tour which we're all hoping is not an event of yesteryear. Good luck.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2009-01-29 2:02 PM (#431013 - in reply to #430999)

Fly to Phoenix and drop in on Dave. I think that's the first place I played an Adamas. I think I saw a used one once at Apple Music in Portland. That's 450 miles away. That's probably the closest I would have to finding one if I were looking. Even the music stores that list themselves as Adamas dealers here have never had any. GC just plain doesn't carry any, although they gave me a brochure once because they didn't need it.
dobro
Posted 2009-01-29 2:53 PM (#431014 - in reply to #430999)

Hobbie Dave-- Just to clarify... You DO know that the best source for Adamas is the "Al" whose name is casually dropped here and there. Go right away to LOST VINTAGE ARTS and check it out!
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2009-01-29 3:15 PM (#431015 - in reply to #430999)

Originally posted by Mark in Boise:
I think I saw a used one once at Apple Music in Portland. That's 450 miles away.
See Mark, they actually have a Bunch of roundbacks in there (at least when this pic was taken).

I have see a few Collectors' and a coupla $1499 textured-top Adamii in there.
Of course I can never afford such things when they are there... :(

[I like to think that I encouraged them to get Ovations and not Celebrities, and it worked-out for them]
moody, p.i.
Posted 2009-01-29 3:20 PM (#431016 - in reply to #430999)

Last year I brought my Adamas I 12'er and my OFC'er (ding) into the local GC to show a salesman who I befriended. All the salesmen came around to look and the comment I got the most of was "never seen one that good before".....
Paul Templeman
Posted 2009-01-29 3:38 PM (#431017 - in reply to #430999)

Originally posted by Mitzdawg:

There is one Millennium for sale in Scotland.
You have any more details on this? A friend of mine is looking for an Adamas and this might fit the bill
Mitzdawg
Posted 2009-01-29 4:43 PM (#431018 - in reply to #430999)

Paul,
Check out the For Sale section. Mint Mil, prohibitive price for me when delivery is included. If it was domestic I'd jump on it.
Mitzdawg

HobieDave - Go to MakinMusic in Chicago and try out the 1597 they have listed on Ebay.
Charlie Ramon
Posted 2009-01-29 4:44 PM (#431019 - in reply to #430999)

Paul,
there is a thread about the Millenium in the "for sale" section.

Karl
TAFKAR
Posted 2009-01-29 9:58 PM (#431020 - in reply to #430999)

Originally posted by MusicMishka:
I cannot recommend the 08C highly enough...besides classy smart looks, it plays and sounds fabulous...
Don't even think about it: grab one of the few left available now...this will be a highly sought after collectable: the only Adamas collector guitar...
+1 on this. If Al still has them, grab one now. Textured top, contour bowl, 1 3/4" nut ("the manly neck"), sweet sweet guitar.
FlySig
Posted 2009-01-29 9:59 PM (#431021 - in reply to #430999)

To try out Adamas guitars, I just go down to the local Guitar Center. The highly knowledgeable staff is always helpful and they frequently have a new and different Adamas for me to try out. They kindly make sure that the strings are fresh and the preamp batteries work. Usually there is a cord nearby so I can plug it into a decent acoustic amp.

And then the dog jumps on the bed and wakes me up.
2ifbyC
Posted 2009-01-29 10:09 PM (#431022 - in reply to #430999)

Originally posted by FlySig:
And then the dog jumps on the bed and wakes me up.
Day-um FlySig, ya sure had me going there on that first paragraph!
PEZ
Posted 2009-01-29 11:43 PM (#431023 - in reply to #430999)

Its personal preference.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)