Error encountered in: \\fs1-n02\stor2wc1dfw1\397573\426710\www.ovationfanclub.com\web\content\megabbs\templates\ovationfanclub\fragments\message.asp
Microsoft VBScript runtime error - Type mismatch
Viewing a thread - What's your Ovation story?

The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 123
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
What's your Ovation story?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

Capo Guy
Posted 2009-01-31 4:59 PM (#430525 - in reply to #430500)
Subject: Re: What's your Ovation story?

Saw Glen Campbell play one. The rest is history.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Auriemma
Posted 2009-01-31 5:28 PM (#430526 - in reply to #430500)

I wanted an acoustic guitar to go with along with my 3 electrics. My wife and I went out to look. I came home with a CC257. Its that simple.
CanterburyStrings
Posted 2009-01-31 6:08 PM (#430527 - in reply to #430500)

My first Ovation was a Tornado that my Dad got for me back in '69. Then in '77 I went to work at the Moosup factory. Met people who turned out to be life-long friends, found my black Legend, played for a lot of years, moved to South Dakota and opened a guitar store, then one day I was looking up an Ovation for a customer and found this place. Now I have guitars that need work, paperwork that needs attending to, lessons to prepare, and here I sit in front of the computer instead!
fillhixx
Posted 2009-01-31 6:43 PM (#430528 - in reply to #430500)

Yeah, it's a bad influence that way.....

Buddy of mine got a Balladeer in 71-72 and his acoustic drowned mine out. We were a duo, so I bought one just to keep up.

...and all the regular; Glen Campbell Good Time Hour, Jim Croce & Maury Muehleisen, America
Wagonmaster
Posted 2009-01-31 6:52 PM (#430529 - in reply to #430500)

When I was a small boy in the early '60's, my mother wanted me to play the guitar like Hank Williams. She signed me up for lessons and bought me a old Kay acoustic. I swear the strings were six inches off the fret board. I banged on that old thing for years. When I went to the University in '71, I went to the music store (the basement of a guy's home) to get a harmonica. He showed me a new line of guitars that he just got in, the Ovation. He introduced me to the engineering and how the bowl made the sweet sound. I went home with a Balladeer and owing him ten bucks a week. I started to play that Ovation and found out for the first time that I really could play. No more struggling with that old Kay. Four years later I was about to graduate and broke, broke, broke, so I sold my Ovation. I played a few guitars after that, but never an Ovation. Too busy building a career and life; wife, kids, etc. Now here I am some thirty years or so later, and just like iffy, bought another Ovation and just ordered another. "What a ride," indeed, Iffy.
MusicMishka
Posted 2009-01-31 7:04 PM (#430530 - in reply to #430500)

Summer, 1967 - a Music Store in Columbus Ohio...looking at a white Gibson SG Custom...when I saw it: a guitar w/a roundback...so cool...
Played Martins (D-28 6&12) when I started giging in 1972...the 12 string neck bowed and was unfixable...1975 bought a 1115-4 in Phoenix; upgraded to a 1615-4 Pacemaker in Lincoln NB on tour in '77; added a Legend Cutaway in 1982; sold both and switched to Elites in '88 as I became an Ovation Keyman Endorsee and have never looked back...From 110 degree frat gigs in the afternoon to airconditioned clubs that evening, I often never needed to retune...
I found this group of GAS powered folks in '05 and now I need to add a room after attending the Factory Tour in '07.
I can't recomend the regional events highly enough!
To the Kaman's and their passion for the instruments...I humbly say thanks!
dobro
Posted 2009-01-31 8:44 PM (#430531 - in reply to #430500)

It was a BOLT OUT OF THE BLUE: In 1970 (a difficult year for me) I acquired John McLaughlin's "My Goal's Beyond". It blew my mind!!!! It was a pivotal point between Miles and the wild beyond. A beautiful record made on an OVATION Balladeer. The cover showed it plainly and I've been hooked ever since. As a kid I transcribed all the tunes. I still would like to be able to play "Good Bye Pork Pie Hat" or "Hearts And Flowers" with a like-minded guitarist!!!

deadfish
Posted 2009-02-02 9:00 AM (#430532 - in reply to #430500)

First let me introduce myself to this group...didn't even know there were ovation fans out there! Glad to meet ya!

I was introduced to ovation because myself uncle was like a shop foreman or supervisor there at the Kaman guitar shop. Mom didn't have much money so "uncle Jim" patched a busted back on a Deluxe Balladeer (factory defect I believe) and sold it to my Mom for the price of a set of D'Darios (spl?) and the fiberglass patch (Like thirteen bucks if I recall) I still own this guitar but haven't played in years because it needs some work (which I'm doing this winter).
I don't know what she's worth, but I do know that my Balladeer was my most prized possetion for many many years and has enormous sentimental value to me. The serial number on mine is "771" so I know it was built sometime in 1968-1969 (or at least before Kaman changed to a four digit code.)(I was 8 years old when I got it.)
Can't wait to start play'n again! :cool:
Miguel - BR
Posted 2009-02-02 9:17 AM (#430533 - in reply to #430500)

Since I was a teenager, I´ve been a huge fan of this guy . Every record I bought of him or any of his group (the "Clube de Esquina" movement) would have in the back drum player, bass player, guitar player, electric guitar player and OVATION guitar player. There was no internet, and the OVATION guitar was a mistery to everybody. We would see one once in a while from afar during a show, and that was it. Ovations were for the serious top artists, way out of our league. Then, in the 90s, guitar importation was authorized and the stores started having O´s in stock. Since then I´ve been thinking of getting one. Last year I had the funds and the opportunity. Now I´m here. Go figure. Already looking for another one.
Damon67
Posted 2009-02-02 1:18 PM (#430534 - in reply to #430500)

Originally posted by stephent28:
Air Supply

their guitarist played Taylor so I went another direction..........
I did see a picture of him with a white UKII once.
G8r
Posted 2009-02-02 2:03 PM (#430535 - in reply to #430500)

Originally posted by deadfish:
...my...uncle was like a shop foreman or supervisor there at the Kaman guitar shop...
Cool, and welcome. Post your uncle's name - there are folks on this board who knew him.

My story - first exposed to Ovations as a little kid via the Goodtime Hour, then seeing local performers as well as Cat Stevens, Jim Messina, Jim Croce, and especially Nancy Wilson playing O's as I was learning to play. At the time I was a poor student, couldn't afford more than the POS pawn shop gits I had, but always lusted after an O or A.

After college life got in the way & I set the guitar aside, except for the occasional noodling, then came across a Matrix for sale cheap in the very early 90's. Knew it was an Ovation product, didn't know the details & it was hard to research (this was way before google).

Fast forward to a few years ago, freshly divorced, lots of time (and inclination) to play guitar again. One day I decided to get more information about the Matrix (yay, google), found this site, and the rest is history. The Matrix is gone, along with a couple other O's that made their way through my hands, on the way to my current collection , with which I'm quite happy (although my bank account isn't).

Far better than the guitars are the friendships I've made through this board. I've said it before & I'll say it again at every opportunity - a finer collection of people cannot be found.
seesquare
Posted 2009-02-02 5:41 PM (#430536 - in reply to #430500)

As is fitting for a charter member of the BFLG, my first Ovation was a busted-head 1111 I got on eBay, about a year before I joined the OFC. Don't recall how I stumbled onto this-here nest of crazies, but never felt more at home, either.
All I had to do what was paste the peghead back onto that old Balladeer, and it was an enchanting siren's song.
I've been through many Ovation-family restorations & reconstructions since then, but Ol' Faithful has never left the fold.
My forays into music have been in fits-and-starts, all of my life, but I doubt I will ever lose my admiration, and enthusiasm, for roundback gitters.
"If music be life, play on."
deadfish
Posted 2009-02-02 6:13 PM (#430537 - in reply to #430500)

Post your uncle's name - there are folks on this board who knew him.[/QB]

My uncle's name is Jim Lazarou. I've already met one of the group here that knew him. Sounds like he was a good guy to work with as well as a good guy to have for an uncle. Used to take me and my brothers fishing a lot too. He had a cottage at schoolhouse pond in thompson that they took us kids to almost every day during the summer...boy I miss those carfree days.

Rick C.
fillhixx
Posted 2009-02-02 6:32 PM (#430538 - in reply to #430500)

Welcome deadfish. That's what I love about this gang, the stories and connections to people.

Like Miguels story, how else would we find out about local acts in foreign countries? I can't wait to get home and listen to the link! (forbidden @ work, throws off the rhythme of the rowing crew.)
Beal
Posted 2009-02-02 7:53 PM (#430539 - in reply to #430500)

Ah yes, Jimmy the Greek. Great guy! Guitar player too if I recall correctly.
deadfish
Posted 2009-02-03 6:03 AM (#430540 - in reply to #430500)

Originally posted by Beal:
Ah yes, Jimmy the Greek. Great guy! Guitar player too if I recall correctly.
Yep...that's him! Oh yeah he could play...tried to teach me some too but at that age I didn't listen too good! :D

Posted 2009-02-03 8:03 AM (#430541 - in reply to #430500)
Miguel - BR
Posted 2009-02-03 1:42 PM (#430542 - in reply to #430500)

Originally posted by fillhixx:
Welcome deadfish. That's what I love about this gang, the stories and connections to people.

Like Miguels story, how else would we find out about local acts in foreign countries?
Now you are in for a big surprise:

How is THIS for a local act?

hope you enjoy!

Miguel
standing
Posted 2009-02-03 11:16 PM (#430543 - in reply to #430500)

Miguel - BR,

I like both Milton Nascimento and James Taylor, but I somehow missed (or, sadly, forgot) that they recorded together. That is a great clip, and there are a few others from that session there, too.

Excellent! Thanks!

BTW, you ARE joking when you refer to Milton as a "local" artist, I assume?
Miguel - BR
Posted 2009-02-04 6:57 AM (#430544 - in reply to #430500)

Well, it was Filhix that said "local", but, to be fair, he had not seen the clip. I only said that I´m a big fan of Milton and all other members of the Clube de Esquina movement. Nice that you like him too. It seems that we have more in common than just guitars!
outlander03
Posted 2009-02-04 12:03 PM (#430545 - in reply to #430500)

Bought a Dillion a couple of years ago that was an Ovation clone (shallow bowl). When I was looking for a six-string classical (my main ax is an eight string) a Celebrity showed up on Craigs List for a reasonable price. Now I'm hooked.
Cc
Posted 2009-02-04 12:41 PM (#430546 - in reply to #430500)

I was playing a Guild and a Gianinni in 74 when one of my students decides she wanted a better guitar than the Yamaha she was using. She had her heart set on a Martin so we hit the big local music store in search of her new guitar. As we were waiting for them to bring out a couple of D28s, she saw this cool looking guitar hanging on the wall. It was a Custom Balladier. Well, she forgot all about the Martin and bought the O. About six months later, she had progressed so far that she was becoming a much better guitarist than me, so I sent her to an instructor who taught classical guitar. She loved classical, and decided she wanted an instrument more adapted to the style she was playing. Instead of just trading the O in, she offered it to me. I have had it ever since! She has become a wonderful guitarist and I still tell her that I would like to take lessons from her someday! Guess it all comes around in the end!
2ifbyC
Posted 2009-02-04 1:32 PM (#430547 - in reply to #430500)

Originally posted by Cc:
Guess it all comes around in the end!
Neat story!
BT717
Posted 2009-02-04 2:28 PM (#430548 - in reply to #430500)

I started playing guitar 8 years ago. I grew up listening to 60's and 70's Rock. Watch the "midnight special" and saw a lot of the greats allready mentioned on other post playing thier "O"s plugged in. The look and more importantly the Tone allways got to me. Fast foward to 2001. Started playing, found a used 1771 balladeer.Played it for a couple of months accoustically and it just didn't 'WOW" me like my "Woodbox". Sold the 1771. Then 6 years later I sarted to plug in at Jams and eventually my own practices and remembered the "Tone" that I enjoyed so much. Decided to give an Ovation another chance. Thats when I bought my 1778lx.
WOW! mid depth bowl and the tone was still there acoustically.AND plugged in, Everything I remembered and more! Found this site, learned about the old deep bowls and the rest is.........
BeatleWho
Posted 2009-02-07 5:51 AM (#430549 - in reply to #430500)

I had been looking for something acoustic, and having seen many of my fave rockers playing Ovations (Paul McCartney/Wings, John Lennon, Nancy Wilson/Heart and others) always liked the sound, very snappy and very crisp. Good definition. But way back, made of "unaffordium". Couple years back, August of 2005 to be precise, I was looking much more seriously after having been "off the neck" for too many years. I played a LOT of stuff, from Martins to Yamahas to Gibsons....I mean, just about everything. Only Ovations I played were shallow bowls, pretty inexpensive and mostly just didn't sound that good. I was just about to plunk down on an Epiphone Masterbilt AJ500 (non-electric version, I thought the A/E version was perhaps the muddiest, cruddiest sounding A/E I played anywhere) which was for the money just wonderful sounding and had a really great playing feel to it. I made one last trip to one of my more local shops and the guy pulled out a mid-depth Ovation and said "try this". It was probably less than 10 minutes......and that was all she wrote! I looked at my wife and I think we both must have had the same goofy grin. :-)

CS-247, quilted nutmeg with OP-30 module. Other than wondering if the tuning machine on the B string "slips" (that string is the ONLY one that seems to have a habit of going flat now and then) and maybe needs help, she's a keeper. And she was affordable. And with good strings, even sounds pretty good when NOT plugged in.

(My ultimate acoustic = Gibson SJ200, unaffordium at something like $3300 but holy crap, I've never played ANYthing like that one. Plenty of volume, the tone was so equally balanced from lows to highs, and a neck and action to die for. I can see why Pete Townshend likes them......)

And plugged in? Killer, for again, a not terribly expensive one. Somebody once suggested something about I could get an OP-PRO tradeup, and maybe you folks out there would know more about this and just what doing that would actually get me........

I have pix of my guitars, including the CS247, up on myspace.com/duanemantick just click into the photos on the profile page. I may be biased but, part of the above story is that when I first laid eyes on this one I just about fell off my chair. I'm glad she sounds good, too. :-)
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)