The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Ovation Guitars really don't get the respect they deserve!" - Alex Pepiak

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
The Sky is Falling...?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

Otto
Posted 2009-02-02 1:22 AM (#430081)
Subject: The Sky is Falling...?

Quote I just read on a guitar store website:

BE WARNED -
The vast majority of UHF wireless microphones, instrument systems and in ear monitor systems from the last 2 decades operate somewhere in the 700 MHz range. When the Digital TV signal takes over on February 17th, these systems will no longer work. Not only will they no longer function as designed, they will be ILLEGAL TO OPERATE under new FCC regulations!

Is this "Chicken Little Syndrome" or are there really going to be a lot of wireless paperweights in our future? Anyone in the know on this?

Otto
Top of the page Bottom of the page
stephent28
Posted 2009-02-02 1:23 AM (#430082 - in reply to #430081)
Subject: Re: The Sky is Falling...?

I thought they operated in the 900 MHz range, not 700.
Otto
Posted 2009-02-02 1:38 AM (#430083 - in reply to #430081)

Don't really know myself, just started thinking about fooling around with a wireless rig and then ran into this.

Otto
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2009-02-02 1:43 AM (#430084 - in reply to #430081)

So... I'll be breaking the law whenever I use my antique cordless phone? That is Sooo Cool! :D
Paul Templeman
Posted 2009-02-02 8:23 AM (#430085 - in reply to #430081)

It's been on the cards for some time and this is just the start. With Wi-fi, digital TV and a ton of other stuff there's now so much demand for bandwidth that the Goverment (in the US and UK, and probably worldwide) is going to be selling off the wavebands used by wireless systems to various telecomunications and multimedia companies. The upshot is that the live music industry suddenly has a ton of gear that becomes not only obsolete, but illegal. You could of course continue to use them, but eventually they'll be so much traffic it'll turn into that scene from Spinal Tap, only much worse.
Steve A
Posted 2009-02-02 10:59 AM (#430086 - in reply to #430081)

According to Shure, the manufacturer of my 9 wireless systems:Users who need to purchase wireless microphones or personal monitors can choose any current Shure wireless product (PG, PGX, SLX, ULX, UHF-R, PSM200, PSM400, PSM600, PSM700) and use it immediately with confidence that it will continue to serve them into the future.

To assist customers with selecting the most appropriate product and frequency range, our Applications Engineering group stands ready to help. They can be reached via e-mail at: support@shure.com or via phone by calling (847) 600-8440.

Shure also offers Wireless Workbench software and the online Frequency Finder to help users determine which TV channels will be protected in their area.

I don't know about the other manufacturers but I think that they all use frequencies in the same range.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)