The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
whats it worth?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

sureshot2040
Posted 2009-02-03 5:17 PM (#429783)
Subject: whats it worth?

hey
just registered to this sight not ten minutes ago
i found an ovation guitar in a local pawn shop today. it has nothing inside the sound hole showing model or serial number etc. etc. and i was wondering if you guys can give me an idea of what it is worth. it is a sunburst looking light grey wood grainish color if that helps. it is a cutaway model and im not sure but i think it had two knobs on the top of the body (when holding it in the playing position) it is in excellent condition and the guy is only asking 99 bucks for it. is that a good deal?? any help with this would be appreciated
thanks
sureshot
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Darkbar
Posted 2009-02-03 5:24 PM (#429784 - in reply to #429783)
Subject: Re: whats it worth?

If it's $99 at a pawn shop, offer him $69. If it says Ovation on the headstock and you've plugged it in and it sounds good and plays okay, then yeah...it's probably a pretty good deal. With the 2 knobs on top, it's an older model....I think volume and tone.
G8r
Posted 2009-02-03 5:34 PM (#429785 - in reply to #429783)

Welcome to the forum.

Given the color & the price - pawnshops are usually pretty good at ID'ing what they have and pricing accordingly - my first guess would be an Ultra, possibly a 1528 .

These have laminated tops and rosewood fretboards. If it is a 1528 it will have a super shallow bowl.

These are entry-level guitars, built to be inexpensive, the direct precursors to the Celebs before production moved overseas. It might be a good beater/camping/beach guitar, but it won't compare to even a mid-range US model in tone, volume & playability.
Paul Blanchard
Posted 2009-02-04 8:56 AM (#429786 - in reply to #429783)

The knobs I have seen on Ultras were concentric, not dual. Sounds like an early '80's mystery model. If the case comes with it, it is definitely worth checking into further.
2ifbyC
Posted 2009-02-04 9:08 AM (#429787 - in reply to #429783)

Originally posted by Paul Blanchard:
If the case comes with it, it is definitely worth...
... buying since you said the git is in excellent condition. The case would be worth at least half of the asking price if in decent shape.

I'm with darkbarguitar in a lower offer!
BT717
Posted 2009-02-04 9:18 AM (#429788 - in reply to #429783)

Welcome Sureshot. Good advise above
Paulcc1
Posted 2009-02-04 9:39 AM (#429789 - in reply to #429783)

Some of my best guitars when I lived in Boston came from Pawn Shops. So what darkbarguitar said
Pauly
Patch
Posted 2009-02-04 10:53 AM (#429790 - in reply to #429783)

In the mid-eighties, I had a barn-burst, deep-bowl Celebrity that matched your description (including the two knobs--volume and tone). Did you notice what the fretboard was made of? If it's rosewood, you probably have a Celeb. If it's ebony, dig a little deeper. Is the neck painted black? Can you see if the neck has a skunk stripe on it? If the stripes are there, it's USA made probably.

As others have said, if it has it's hardshell case, make-em an offer. My Celeb was a good starters guitar and worth $100 in good shape easily. I eventually upgraded, and if that's your intention, you'll likely get your money back out of it when you go shopping for a higher-end model.

Be absolutely sure it's in good shape though. Don't just look at it. Straight neck? Good frets? Top's flat (or close to it)? Tuners are good? Heel is secure? Bridge is secure? Electronics work? Check all of these because the repair cost for any of them would quickly negate any savings. Good luck.

Welcome aboard and keep us posted. We love stories about pawn shop/yard sale/estate sale finds.
Trader Jim
Posted 2009-02-04 12:37 PM (#429791 - in reply to #429783)

An Ovation with strings on it is worth 99 bucks, even if it is a celeb. If it comes with a case, it's a down right steal. Between the case and the tuners, you're over that in value. Maybe it's one of THESE :eek:
cholloway
Posted 2009-02-04 12:55 PM (#429792 - in reply to #429783)

The inlay at the 12th fret would certainly settle that.
Patch
Posted 2009-02-04 4:57 PM (#429793 - in reply to #429783)

Originally posted by Trader Jim:
An Ovation with strings on it is worth 99 bucks, even if it is a celeb. If it comes with a case, it's a down right steal. Between the case and the tuners, you're over that in value. Maybe it's one of THESE :eek:
I'd be surprised. Didn't the 83C have concentric knobs? Everything you said, I completely agree with.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2009-02-04 7:45 PM (#429794 - in reply to #429783)

The 83C did have concentric knobs. I had to replace one. Amazing how it broke right along a glued line after I bought it. I had a new one from John Budny within a week, though.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)