The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Tuners

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

GaryB
Posted 2009-02-04 1:20 PM (#429545)
Subject: Tuners

I think I may wear out my welcome here today. Are all Ovation tuners interchangeable on flat head Ovations? I'm looking at some gold tuners with Pearl buttons, and wondered if they'd work on my 1127-4. Thanks in advance.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Beal
Posted 2009-02-04 1:41 PM (#429546 - in reply to #429545)
Subject: Re: Tuners

no, depends on the screw pattern.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2009-02-04 1:45 PM (#429547 - in reply to #429545)

Depending on the year of manufacture, some tuners have different screw-hole patterns.

But that just means that you will have to match the tuner 'type'... Schaller, Ping, whatever.

You could just change the knobs/buttons...
GaryB
Posted 2009-02-04 4:06 PM (#429548 - in reply to #429545)

Sure glad I asked. Thanks for the help.
BeatleWho
Posted 2009-02-07 5:20 AM (#429549 - in reply to #429545)

Anybody ever run across one that maybe "slips"? My CS247 occasionally has the B string go flat, and usually *only* that one when it happens which suggests that it isn't just some temperature issue (which logically would be likely to affect other strings as well). Otherwise that puppy holds a pretty good tune.
an4340
Posted 2009-02-07 6:37 AM (#429550 - in reply to #429545)

I find the b string the most likely to go out of tune, but that's because it's usually unwrapped and gets the most bending.
FlySig
Posted 2009-02-07 9:46 AM (#429551 - in reply to #429545)

I found that my tuning-slipping ceased when I changed how I wrap strings on the tuner post. Fewer wraps means less slipping. Also, I wrap the loose end of the string backwards and under the first wrap. I'll see if I can find a picture somewhere on the net and post it. Also, some #2 pencil lead in the nut slots and saddle to lube the string.

What makes me really believe this, is a guitar that has double ball end strings. The strings are held at both ends in a cradle, and one end moves to tune it. It has a zero fret, not a nut, and a metal saddle. The first few minutes of new strings will be the only time it goes out of tune. I mean, I can play it for hours and it is still right in tune. Even bending strings and chugging out power chords it stays right in tune.

So I don't believe that most guitars are going out of tune all the time because the strings are still stretching. It must be some slippage.

I'd guess your B string is slipping somewhere.

Ah, here we go. Here's a youtube that shows the wrap back method. Youtube

Here's a diagram from another site
edensharvest
Posted 2009-02-07 11:16 PM (#429552 - in reply to #429545)

That's pretty much exactly what I do anymore, and I never have trouble, regardless of string or type of tuners.
BeatleWho
Posted 2009-02-10 4:32 AM (#429553 - in reply to #429545)

Good info, guys!

Duane
bauerhillboy
Posted 2009-02-10 9:01 AM (#429554 - in reply to #429545)

If you do the above and you STILL have a problem, consider this; Ovation has used Schaller tuners in the past...and still does on some of their most expensive guitars. Most get Ping tuners nowadays. These cost less and, though they're Ok, they are lower quality than the Schallers. In your case, non-USA Ovations get a lower quality Ping tuner than the US models. All this to say it wouldn't be a huge surprise if you had a defective tuner. Look at the StewMac site (they have a variety of tuners) and see if you can find one that will leave the same "footprint" as your existing ones.

If you don't care about the footprint, just buy whatever you like.

John <>{
Hossman21
Posted 2009-02-10 11:53 AM (#429555 - in reply to #429545)

Thanks Flysig for the diagram and video link. I have never used this method. It is simple and foolproof. I am going to try it next time I re-string
Chuck (Retired Navy)
Posted 2009-02-10 6:24 PM (#429556 - in reply to #429545)

17 posts so far and you think you may wear out your welcome? Just keep on posting anyway! They haven't thrown me out yet, nor anyone else, for trying to learn a bit more about their "O's". :cool:
BeatleWho
Posted 2009-02-11 12:45 AM (#429557 - in reply to #429545)

Originally posted by bauerhillboy:
If you do the above and you STILL have a problem, consider this; Ovation has used Schaller tuners in the past...and still does on some of their most expensive guitars. Most get Ping tuners nowadays. These cost less and, though they're Ok, they are lower quality than the Schallers. In your case, non-USA Ovations get a lower quality Ping tuner than the US models. All this to say it wouldn't be a huge surprise if you had a defective tuner. Look at the StewMac site (they have a variety of tuners) and see if you can find one that will leave the same "footprint" as your existing ones.

If you don't care about the footprint, just buy whatever you like.

John <>{
Ah, very interesting indeed. I just took a look at the tuners and the only identifying information on them was "Ovation" :) Well, at least all 6 appear to be basically the same thing but for being 3x3 mirror images.

It probably won't be too long before I change strings, so I'll have to try that posted locking technique of winding and see what happens. I *do* have a fairly large number of winds on both high strings, about 5 or 6 on the B and geez, maybe 8 on the E. Thinking about it, I can imagine some mechanical issues with that when no lock-wind has been done.....since they're not wound strings, they won't "grab" at the holes in the peg, etc...but could slip on the peg like a rope on a capstan (for all you sailors out there) or like a climbing rope in some climbing gear (for all you mountaineers out there) :)

I might have thought the high E might have been more vulnerable......we shall see.

Thanks!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)