The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Elite T Series - Purchasing Advice Needed

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

Paul1PA
Posted 2009-02-04 4:58 PM (#429497)
Subject: Elite T Series - Purchasing Advice Needed

Hello all,

New member here and first time poster. I'm in the market for my first "real" guitar. After starting with a long list of potential companies, the final name left was Ovation. I could elaborate why, but hey, I'd just be "preaching to the choir" here. :)

Currently focused on the Elite T Series . Really like the clean appearance, features and value. IMO, no other Ovations offer more "bang for the buck". However, I could really use some insight from the resident experts regarding:

1. If primarily played unplugged, would the Deep Bowl (2078T) be a better choice over the Mid-Bowl (1778T)?

2. I would prefer to buy an Elite made in USA. However, production has recently shifted to Korea. Is quality now a concern? Prices for these imported models seem quite reasonable. For example, a new Elite TX (w/ OP-Pro preamp) can be had for ~$600 on eBay.

3. If I decide on the Mid-Bowl model, I really like the now discontinued 1778T in Lusty Red.

Anybody know where I can track one down? A few "New Old Stock" models must still remain somewhere. But, in searching the web and my local dealers, I've come up with nothing.

TIA,

Paul
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2009-02-04 5:14 PM (#429498 - in reply to #429497)
Subject: Re: Elite T Series - Purchasing Advice Needed

Okay... I have a coupla T's so I will jump in here. :D

First, I would NOT recommend any of the "TX" Elite T's.
They have 'Scalloped X' which is okay... But Real T's have Quintad bracing which is different.
Real T's have Ebony fretboard and bridge, TX's have Painted Rosewood.

If at all possible, try to buy a USA made Elite T! They will say USA on the back of the headstock.

I am not Positive, but I believe that the TX models (which are made in Korea) have dove-tail neck construction.
USA models have a bolt-on neck, which make it alot easier to reset if you need to do that.

As to Deep vs. Mid-Depth... Any of the model numbers that begin with "2" have a Contour bowl.
This is not the same as a classic Deep Bowl, but they are nice. People who are used to playing Roundbacks find them hard to get used to... People who are used to standard wood-back guitars love them.
I have both, and they are both fine. The Contour bowl does have more bass response.

The real issue is get a USA made Elite T, if you can. Some stores still have a few USA made T's left. Otherwise buy used. You will not get a warranty, but you will pay less and you will be Happy! :D

And... WELCOME!
bauerhillboy
Posted 2009-02-04 5:17 PM (#429499 - in reply to #429497)

Welcome Paul !

There are quite a few differences between the USA T's and the new Korean-made T's. In short, none of the changes are upgrades.

I'm selling my T If you'd be interested. I purchased one of the last T's made in Connecticut back last year. I can shoot you some pics. Contour bowl, OpPro preamp. It has a Koa epaulet and a Koa trussrod cover. I'm selling it with the case for $600 + shipping.

John, also in western Pa. <>{

BTW, where are you in Western Pa. ?
BT717
Posted 2009-02-04 5:24 PM (#429500 - in reply to #429497)

Welcome Paul!!
Good choice for a guitar maker!! :D
Now, like the others have said, stick with a USA model and in my opinion the deeper the bowl the better for "Unplugged". You still get decent tone from a USA Mid bowl especialy from the newer LX models. Do not confuse the LX with the AX or TX models. these 2 are made over seas.
FlySig
Posted 2009-02-04 5:31 PM (#429501 - in reply to #429497)

Paul, welcome aboard!

Either of the USA made T models would be great. We have one of each in the house and they both sound great, but different. For purely unplugged I would give the nod to the 2178T. I like the deep contour bowl sound. But, the regular 1778T has a great sound of it's own. Not quite as much bass, but still balanced and nice.

The contour bowl feels more like a square wood box to hold. The mid depth bowl can tend to roll skyward a bit, especially if you press in hard with your right forearm. Once you get used to the mid bowl it doesn't roll much at all, and in fact I do like the slight roll for looking at the fretboard as I play.

My advice would be to see which one you can get the best deal on, and then go for it.

BTW, there may be a preamp difference. The 2178T will have the OpPro, whereas some of the 1778T had an Op30. Both work great, but my old eyes prefer the larger display on the OpPro tuner.
bauerhillboy
Posted 2009-02-04 5:38 PM (#429502 - in reply to #429497)

John here again. My T I'm selling is the one in Arthur's photo, all the way to the left.

John <>{
2ifbyC
Posted 2009-02-04 5:41 PM (#429503 - in reply to #429497)

Paul!

The advice above is solid and dead on:

1. USA made only
2. Deeper the better
3. If not new, then used

There ya go...
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2009-02-04 5:45 PM (#429504 - in reply to #429497)

Originally posted by bauerhillboy:
John here again. My T I'm selling is the one in Arthur's photo, all the way to the left.

John <>{
Well... Not THAT one... But it looks like that one. :p
Beal
Posted 2009-02-04 5:59 PM (#429505 - in reply to #429497)

welcome
ProfessorBB
Posted 2009-02-04 6:39 PM (#429506 - in reply to #429497)

Hi Paul. There are a number of threads discussing the "bang for the buck" value of the USA-made Elite T models. Most of the threads pre-date the switch to overseas construction, so many of us are making presumptions about the older USA Elite T models vs. the new overseas models based on our experience with and observations of the Celebrity line, so YMMV. Mine has the full-bowl flame paint with the Op-Pro preamp and it sounds uniquely different from the rest of my roundbacks. The only way I can describe it is a very articulate mid-range. SWMBO prefers its sound over all the others. As you can see, there are a lot of fans of the Elite T here at the OFC.
Paul1PA
Posted 2009-02-04 9:22 PM (#429507 - in reply to #429497)

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome and insightful info - much appreciated! Okeydokey, I will aim to purchase an Elite T made in USA. For sure, these domestic guitars are proven and seem to be universally liked (well, at least by most here - I know some players loath anything Ovation!).

And perhaps the new 'TX' versions coming from overseas will be fine, but too soon to know at this point. I have noticed there are already quite a few "Refurbished B-Stocks" available on eBay. Hmmm...

Arthur: That picture of your Elite family made me drool - what a great collection! Do you carry wallet sized photos too? :D

John: How nice of you to offer one of Arthur's guitars to me! ;) Seriously, yes please e-mail me some info & pics of your Elite that's FS. While I make no purchase promise, I am definitely interested! BTW, I reside in the Natrona Heights/Freeport area (about 30 mins north of Pittsburgh).

Thanks again everyone!

Paul
Captain Lovehandles
Posted 2009-02-04 9:37 PM (#429508 - in reply to #429497)

You won't be disappointed. The T sounds great unplugged, IMHO. And it's very comfortable to play. I sold my Lusty Red last year, and I'd love to have another T someday. My first two acoustic O's were mid bowls, and it suits me.

I can only think of two LR's among us. Good luck with that search. In different light, they look burgundy, or magenta, or pink, or purple...
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2009-02-04 9:43 PM (#429509 - in reply to #429497)

Originally posted by Paul1PA:
I know some players loath anything Ovation!
There is something distinctly satisfying about having a guitar that everyone hates!

Especially when they hear them, and they Have to admit that they sound and play Great...
"But I still wouldn't own one."

(Good! Less competition, more for Me!)
numbfingers
Posted 2009-02-04 10:29 PM (#429510 - in reply to #429497)

There a flaming version about to end on eBay, item # 160313126819. Couple of hours left, currently @ $399. No, Arthur, you don't need another one. :)

-Steve W.
Paul1PA
Posted 2009-02-04 10:43 PM (#429511 - in reply to #429497)

Originally posted by numbfingers:
There a flaming version about to end on eBay, item # 160313126819.
Thanks for the heads up Steve! While I do like the flame motif, that's just a little too wild for my tastes. I did add it to my "Watched Items" list though...just curious if it will meet reserve.

Paul
Auriemma
Posted 2009-02-05 8:23 AM (#429512 - in reply to #429497)

Ever since I saw the Elite T's I wanted one. I got my 2007 Elite 1868T w/OP-Pro in early Dec. 2008 from Sam Ash Music and I love it. It has quickly become my favorite and gets more playing time than my other 5 guitars combined. It projects well for a shallow bowl, has a great sound, and really shines plugged in. I got mine for less than $600 with OHSC. It is currently having a full setup done (I wouldn't put it down long enough before to get in the shop).

Ebay had several for sale: 1778T, 1868T, and 2078T along with some TXs. The T's (USA made) have ebony fretboards and saddles, where the TXs (Korea) have stained rosewood. Look around, The Ts are still available. You might even consider a Mick Thomson LE (MT37-5).
Gallerinski
Posted 2009-02-05 8:33 AM (#429513 - in reply to #429497)

Gotta agree, the T's do seem like a great guitar for the money. Personally I never cared for the black, prefer the pewter or burgandy but that's just me. Would be a great guitar to drop an iDEA pre-amp into.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)