The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
help w/ a preamp

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

moody, p.i.
Posted 2009-02-10 12:22 PM (#428467)
Subject: help w/ a preamp

I had my GC RI plugged in the other day. It's the revamped, stacked tone/volume controls. As I turned it up, it lost power (signal?) around 7-8 and then picked it back up again at 9-10. I'm assuming that something needs to be cleaned. The question is, what and how?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Paul Templeman
Posted 2009-02-10 12:26 PM (#428468 - in reply to #428467)
Subject: Re: help w/ a preamp

take the preamp out and open it up. Get some servisol or electrolube from Radioshack and squirt it into the pots (Theres an obvious place to do this, you'll see it) Work the pots a few times, then reassemble and try it. It it was just a dirty pot track, this should have cleared it, though you might need to try a couple of times. If not, it's something else. Oh, and don't use a moisture dispersant/lube such as WD40, it's way too heavy for electronics such as this.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2009-02-10 12:58 PM (#428469 - in reply to #428467)

Cool....
moody, p.i.
Posted 2009-04-11 9:47 AM (#428470 - in reply to #428467)

A follow up on this little problem. I finally got around to putting new strings on the GC RI, so while they were off, I followed Temp's instructions. When I took the cover off of the volume/tone box, I found the knob is part of a box attached to a circuit board. There were only 2 small openings in the box at the end opposite where the knob came out. I took a deep breath, sprayed a very little contact cleaner into the holes and worked the knob back and forth. Reassembled everything and it works perfectly.

Life is good.

Sometimes, I think I could live with just 4 guitars. They would be the Legend rebuild for everyday not plugged in playing, the GC RI for plugged in work, the Adamas I 12 string (altho' I could be happy with just the GC 12 rebuild), and the 1773LX, 'cause everybody needs a nylon string.

Somehow, after years of playing multi hole Ovations and guitars with a lot of bling, I've come back the the original look O's. I still love them best......
2ifbyC
Posted 2009-04-11 9:58 AM (#428471 - in reply to #428467)

Originally posted by moody, p.i.:
sprayed a very little contact cleaner
This is a situation where more is better. That's to ensure that the 'contaminates' are flushed out as much as possible.

Electrical contact cleaner is some good stuff. Glad it worked fer ya.
Jonmark Stone
Posted 2009-04-11 4:45 PM (#428472 - in reply to #428467)

As iffy said, more is better.
Glad you got it fixed Paul. Just be thankful it was stacked and not an OP 24. It's a half day project just getting to the pot.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)