The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Ovation Guitars really don't get the respect they deserve!" - Alex Pepiak

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
RIP - Coleman Mellett

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

MusicMishka
Posted 2009-02-13 7:49 PM (#427675)
Subject: RIP - Coleman Mellett

Guitarist Coleman Mellett died on board FLT. 3407 last night in Clarence, NY enroute to a concert as guitarist for Chuck Mangione as well as the groups sax player and 47 others.
Here is the article:

Crash Victims include Well Known Guitarist

Mellett was well known in the DC area prior to joining Mangione. He was a very talented Jazz Guitarist.
RIP, Coleman
Top of the page Bottom of the page
lanaki
Posted 2009-02-13 7:54 PM (#427676 - in reply to #427675)
Subject: Re: RIP - Coleman Mellett

yes. quite tragic.
beverly eckert was on that plane too. the mainstream media is jumping all over the icing of the wings bandwagon, however, the pilots never mentioned this and the plane had a state-of-the-art de-icing system.
Trader Jim
Posted 2009-02-13 7:56 PM (#427677 - in reply to #427675)

RIP.
Capo Guy
Posted 2009-02-13 7:58 PM (#427678 - in reply to #427675)

Sad News.
Hossman21
Posted 2009-02-13 8:03 PM (#427679 - in reply to #427675)

I may have seen him play a few years back when I attended a Chuck Mangione concert in Syracuse.

A loss for sure. And quite young with a huge future.
Jeff W.
Posted 2009-02-13 8:40 PM (#427680 - in reply to #427675)

I wonder what the calculated probability is of both, a husband and wife dying in separate, incredibly rare events. Staggering.
MusicMishka
Posted 2009-02-13 9:13 PM (#427681 - in reply to #427675)

the mainstream media is jumping all over the icing of the wings bandwagon, however, the pilots never mentioned this and the plane had a state-of-the-art de-icing system.
Randy, The cockpit recordings as related by the NTSB (on the Black Box) showed that in fact they did mention the severe icing which had occured beginning some twenty miles out: it was coating the leading edge of the wings and covering the windscreen and they deployed the Anti-icing switches. In severe cases where the ice builds too quickly to be fully broken by the air bladders on the wing leading edges, you can still lose control. In addition, icing can cause severe problems in flap deployment and it totally destroys the flow of air over the wings resulting in drag and loss of altitude: in other words, the plane just stops flying...I listened to the control tower tapes (both Local and Approach)from the Buffalo tower and the only pilots to mention it to the tower were asked by the tower if they were experiencing icing...every plane in contact said they were; some severe. This occured only after the contact with 3407 had been lost.
I have viewed the weather maps, (computer generated: IFR and altitude contextual ) in the area and talked to my cousin who lives in Clarence just 5 miles from the crash site...the weather was nasty: light snow and fog and right at freezing....at 2,300 feet, that translates to ice...
I was an Air Traffic Controller for nearly 4 years in the Marines and FAA qualified.
This was a very tragic accident...nothing more or less...
lanaki
Posted 2009-02-13 10:30 PM (#427682 - in reply to #427675)

i read the flight transcripts. the pilots mentioned there was a bit of icing in passing but did not address it as if they had any concern.
MusicMishka
Posted 2009-02-13 11:26 PM (#427683 - in reply to #427675)

They were very experienced pilots w/over 6,000 hrs. between them...they flew this route on a regular basis...ice is common in the North...it is possible for a very fast buildup that would have overwhelmed the de-icing...we'll see when the final report comes out..
Very sad....
Jeff, the odds are staggering I'm sure...there was also a lady who helped with Uganda refugees...highly respected...she was on the flight as well...The female first officer whose voice can be heard talking to the tower on approach, was only 24....
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)