The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Trying to find the right guitar...

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

rocketman314
Posted 2009-02-13 8:58 PM (#427631)
Subject: Trying to find the right guitar...

I have a few ideas in mind (Ovation, Larrivee, Martin), although I am fairly new in my understanding of acoustic guitars, or what qualifies a 'high quality' musical instrument. I have been recently offered a Custom Elite 778LX in a midpriced range (under $700), but I would like some recommendations or offers on some great deals that fit within my criteria:

-- Mid-priced Range (preferably used)
-- Acoustic-Electric combination (and great quality for both perspectives that still fit within the price range)
-- Something that gives a smooth, rich, crisp acoustic sound and good primarily for fingerplay but also decent for strumming
-- feels like an electric guitar (as far as feel, action, and movement about the neck are concerned)
-- Durable; easy to take care of, something that will endure the hot and humid Florida climate

ummm not sure what else I am forgetting, but something along these lines would be a good start for me.

I am also aware that it depends on my own personal preferences, which will most definitely be my final and most important step; to test em out for myself. But I would like to start getting some feedback from others with experience, just so I get a push in the right direction. I have no intention of going onstage or performing live anytime soon... just want something I can play at home, practice, and be able to take it along with me where ever I go, in the event that I travel somewhere. Whether it be to strum unplugged, or jam out while connected to an amp, I want something that is easy to play, but will be a decent enough investment to last me for a long time.

Also, since I am at an Ovation fan site (and assuming most if not all of you have a wide variety of experiences with all the models that Ovation has to offer), I have another sort of 'comparison' type question. Is there a noticeable difference in playability and sound quality between the custom elite and the elite t models (say for example, the 2078T)? I noticed that the custom elite has epaulets on both sides of the guitar, whereas the elite t's only have them on the upper side. I guess it's not really reasonable to ask you which is 'better', but if you could perhaps explain a little on how they differ, that would be great.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Hossman21
Posted 2009-02-13 9:08 PM (#427632 - in reply to #427631)
Subject: Re: Trying to find the right guitar...

I only have experience with Celebrity (imported) and with my Elite Special. That one has a shallow bowl and does not project as well as a deep bowl, however, when plugged into an amp, there is no noticeable difference with say a midbowl or a deep bowl. I am at this time waiting for my C778 LX Custom to arrive. It is supposed to be on a different level and it has a mid bowl. The Elite does have a thin neck and is very similar feel to an electric guitar, which is one of the things I love about it. Even my 11 year old with his little hands can handle the Elite without any qualms.

You have come to the right place though, for the members here have incredible experience and knowledge with these guitars as you have suspected.
Oddball
Posted 2009-02-13 9:47 PM (#427633 - in reply to #427631)

I had a Larrivee L-05 for about 2 years. Spectacularly beautiful guitar and sounded luscious. However, I dont think Larrivee makes anything in your price range these days. I have a couple of friends with Martins. One is 70s D-40 or 41 Dreadnought. Frankly, I'm not overly impressed by it, although it is a decent enough guitar. The H-28 or D-28 (with the herringbone down the back, whichever one that is) owned by the other guy is a lovely sounding guitar. If I had the bucks, I'd grab one in a hot second. But again, there aren't many Martins new or used in the $700 price range.

Ovations has several models that will fit your criteria. It's been stated on this forum many times that the best bang for the buck in Ovation guitars are the 1778T or Elite T series, the ones with the 'nonskid' paint on the top and body. They have spruce tops just like all the American made guitars, just painted rather than clear. I've owned two. I foolishly sold the first. The second I'm going to be buried with. I can't honestly tell you the difference between the gloss-topped Elites and the 'T's because I've only played the glossy Elites at stores. Likewise the number of holes. Not sure that makes as much difference as the top finish. I have read here that glossy topped Elites and Elite Ts just sound 'different'.

As to electric-like, again 1778T. They have nice slim maple necks. The T models — and all Ovations — come in deep bowl, contoured deep bowl, medium bowl and SSB: super shallow bowl configurations. The deeps give you the most bass and punch. The SSBs the least. That's acoustically. (They all sound great plugged in.) Again, the medium-bowl 1778Ts with the Op-Pro pre-amps offer the best comprimise. Nice necks, comfortable bowl depth, nice jangly sound, good electrics and they never show pick scuffing!

Elite Ts can be had for $700 or sometimes less. Just keep your eyes open here, on Craiglist and of course eBay.

Oh, and Ovations are also more impervious to temp and humidity changes than all-wood guitars.

Be warned that when you venture into Ovation territory, you will encounter lots of 'Celebrity' models. Many of these will have spectacularly beautiful tops made of all sorts of exotic woods. Beyond the looks, virtually all these (and the lower-end Applause models) pretty tops are laminated on, which makes for a nice stable top that doesn't warp much — but also doesn't vibrate much. Which means soundwise, few Celebs measure up to an equivalent American-made Ovation. Plugged in they're fine. But acoustically, you can really tell the difference. But again, they're not at all bad guitars and sometimes you'll find one that sounds really nice. Bang for buck-wise, however, you'll never regret spending a few hundred more for an American Ovations whenever you can.
MWoody
Posted 2009-02-14 1:26 AM (#427634 - in reply to #427631)

The Plan is for one of the Newbies - Mercury - to come over tomorrow and try a couple of O's out and see what is what. A lot like having a Wine tasting event before buying a case.

There is no substitute for trying out a wide range of other peoples O's!

On the menu:

1112-2 Custom Balladeer
Beat up 1537-4
Re-topped 1537-4
Koa Lost art fourteen fret #1
2002 Redwood Collector with inlaid Epaulets
Adamas 1581-5
Post Collector Parlor
AJ's Thunderbolt

Preacher Deluxe
Koa Faced Viper
Solidbody Papoose 12 string
Procrasticaster - if I get the neck on

He'll either come out of it knowing what he wants or knowing he wants it all!
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2009-02-14 1:39 AM (#427635 - in reply to #427631)

And I am Sooooo Jealous!!
MWoody
Posted 2009-02-14 1:40 AM (#427636 - in reply to #427631)

And an FD14...
BT717
Posted 2009-02-14 7:42 AM (#427637 - in reply to #427631)

Originally posted by MWoody:
The Plan is for one of the Newbies - Mercury - to come over tomorrow and try a couple of O's out and see what is what. A lot like having a Wine tasting event before buying a case.

There is no substitute for trying out a wide range of other peoples O's!

On the menu:

1112-2 Custom Balladeer
Beat up 1537-4
Re-topped 1537-4
Koa Lost art fourteen fret #1
2002 Redwood Collector with inlaid Epaulets
Adamas 1581-5
Post Collector Parlor
AJ's Thunderbolt

Preacher Deluxe
Koa Faced Viper
Solidbody Papoose 12 string
Procrasticaster - if I get the neck on

He'll either come out of it knowing what he wants or knowing he wants it all!
Any possibility of you making a "House call" with those guitars? ;)
Captain Lovehandles
Posted 2009-02-14 8:07 AM (#427638 - in reply to #427631)

Rocket, you should contact g8r and set up a similar visit.
MWoody
Posted 2009-02-14 11:36 AM (#427639 - in reply to #427631)

BT717,

I can be had but I'm not cheap!
G8r
Posted 2009-02-14 1:39 PM (#427640 - in reply to #427631)

Originally posted by Captain_Lovehandles:
Rocket, you should contact g8r and set up a similar visit.
Hey rocketman, welcome to the board. Good to see another Floridian. There's quite a few of us here, and we tend to get together every now and then for jams. Look around this site - especially in the Ovation Fan Gatherings section - for pics and details of previous gatherings.

I won't go into pros and cons of different guitars - I've been dressed down for expressing my opinion on that subject - but if you wanna make the short drive up to Gainesville some weekend you're more than welcome to try out the variety of Ovations, Adamas, and woodboxes I have. If you click the link in my signature line it'll take you to pics of my guitars.

Stick around, there's a lot of good info here. I think you're approaching the whole guitar selection process just right - get as much info as you can, play as many guitars as possible, and find the one that speaks to you.
MWoody
Posted 2009-02-15 1:02 AM (#427641 - in reply to #427631)

Today:

Made some friends
Sold a guitar
started looking for more guitars...
rocketman314
Posted 2009-02-15 1:06 AM (#427642 - in reply to #427631)

Nice, thanks the help, advice, invites, and whatnot. Hopefully later on today, I will be the proud new owner of a Custom Elite...

Cross your fingers.
Patch
Posted 2009-02-15 1:39 AM (#427643 - in reply to #427631)

Hiya Rocket!

Glad to see you found the place. My fingers are crossed, but we wanna see pictures after you pick that thing up.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2009-02-15 2:29 AM (#427644 - in reply to #427631)

Hey Rocketman...

From you description of what you are looking for, it would seem Ovation was pretty much the only choice..

-- Acoustic-Electric combination
- There are electrified Acoustics out there, but one of the brands you mentioned pretty much wrote the book.

-- Something that gives a smooth, rich, crisp acoustic sound and good primarily for fingerplay but also decent for strumming
- One of your choices of guitars is known for consistent volume and tone all over the fretboard. Perfect for fingerpick'n and strumming.

-- feels like an electric guitar (as far as feel, action, and movement about the neck are concerned)
- One of the choices you mentioned has this as a design goal

-- Durable; easy to take care of, something that will endure the hot and humid Florida climate
- So rule out anything with a wood back....

Seems like you're in the right place. With the list of requirements, including the price, Ovation seems like the only answer. Welcome aboard.
BT717
Posted 2009-02-15 7:30 AM (#427645 - in reply to #427631)

Originally posted by MWoody:
BT717,

I can be had but I'm not cheap!
Story of my life! ;)
Trader Jim
Posted 2009-02-15 7:56 AM (#427646 - in reply to #427631)

Rocketman, you still have an invite to the Iffybowl next weekend . Contact me for directions if you can make it.
G8r
Posted 2009-02-15 9:44 AM (#427647 - in reply to #427631)

Alright, congrats rocketman! So did you find this guitar residing with one of a couple of OFCers just down the road from you? ;)

I'll echo what Trader Jim said, the invite's still open.
rocketman314
Posted 2009-02-15 5:42 PM (#427648 - in reply to #427631)

Well...scratch that, I got shafted out of BOTH of the guitars that I wanted, so now I'm back to square one. This guitar search of mine has crossed over from being 'exciting' to 'painful' :(
G8r
Posted 2009-02-15 6:06 PM (#427649 - in reply to #427631)

Well that sux, sorry to hear that.
FlySig
Posted 2009-02-15 7:17 PM (#427650 - in reply to #427631)

I've got a 6778LX in Vintage Natural finish for sale. It is a mid bowl OpPro LX with a natural wood top. It is a very easy playing guitar, the best of all the O's I've played (which are all LX or T models). $699 delivered/insured via UPS to lower 48 states. It has been replaced with a 2007 Collector's edition so I no longer have a need for it, but it really is an easy playing and nice sounding guitar. The last photo below, the color is not correct due to funky lighting and using a cell phone to take the picture, but it shows the condition of the front of the headstock. Kept in a humidity controlled room, non-smoking environment.

The guitar is in mint condition with original hard case. PM me if you're interested.

MWoody
Posted 2009-02-15 9:26 PM (#427651 - in reply to #427631)

Mmmmmmm-m-m yah!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)