The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Daddy's Expanded Benefits Plan???

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

Hossman21
Posted 2009-02-14 4:21 PM (#427550)
Subject: Daddy's Expanded Benefits Plan???

OK folks, here is the deal. As some of you know from my previous posts, I am buying an Elite Custom C778LX RTD from Daddy's Junky Music. A guy in Boston special ordered this guitar. He put a deposit down on it and then never followed through. So I am buying the guitar through my local Daddy's for 50 bucks under their cost. The manager showed me the cost on their computer. I hope that he wasn't b.s.ing me. Well, he says that Ovations are not very popular in Central New York and that was why he doesn't carry any of the domestic models, just the cheaper Celebrities.

So, this expanded benefits plan that he told me about has some interesting points.
1. Unlimited Repairs
2. Free Rental during repair
3. Trade Up guarantee where they will give me 80% of the value of the guitar on a trade during the first year and some lesser % during subsequent years.
4. other various discounts for gear and clinics, etc.

I believe that I should get a full warranty from Ovation since I am the original owner correct?

Since I am buying this guitar at half of going retail prices, if I should want to sell or trade, I should be able to get at least what I paid for it, correct? (I have no plans to sell or trade it, and see myself growing old with it, but. . . )

On their guaranteed trade up plan, do you think that this means 80% of the value of the guitar, or 80% of what I paid for it.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

By the way, I sold my Elite Special for $500 on Ebay. The manager at Daddy's told me that he could only give me about half of that on a trade.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
moody, p.i.
Posted 2009-02-14 4:35 PM (#427551 - in reply to #427550)
Subject: Re: Daddy's Expanded Benefits Plan???

Are you buying a warranty thru Daddy's? As an original owner, you have a lifetime warranty against defects from the factory. The factory doesn't offer anything else (they used to offer, for Adamas guitars, when they came out, a loaner guitar while the owner's guitar was being repaired -- I don't think that last all that long). I don't think the factory offers anything else.

The rest of that would come from the music store. I suspect that Daddy is feeding you some major b.s.....
BT717
Posted 2009-02-14 4:37 PM (#427552 - in reply to #427550)

Hossman,
I once, about 3 years ago, bought a guitar from a local Daddy's. Kept it for 4-5 months and then brought it back to do the trade up. At the time I got 70% of what I paid for it and you have to buy a more expensive guitar, hence, trade up.
If I remember correctly in your first post, you are getting this guitar for under $1000.00? These guitar go for $1800-2200.00 new? you would definitely get the Ovation life time warranty, right? Personally I don't think it would be worth it.I NEVER buy extended warranties. Like you said, If you sold it you would be able to get atleast what you paid for it once our economy loosens up.
CanterburyStrings
Posted 2009-02-14 4:38 PM (#427553 - in reply to #427550)

NEVER buy the extended warranty on a new car or appliance. I would say that applies to guitars too. As the original owner, yes, you get a lifetime warranty from Ovation. I believe all the rest is just a money-making scam.
Losov
Posted 2009-02-14 4:41 PM (#427554 - in reply to #427550)

Do you have to pay for this expanded benefits plan, or is it part of the deal? I'm guessing you have to pay extra, and if it were me I'd pass on that part of it.

I can guarantee that the 80% would be the market value of the guitar at that point in time, but in the absence of your having them add the definition to the contract, it'll be 80% of whatever's best for them.

Whether you take the expanded deal or not, I'd say you're the original owner, unless they're giving you a story on the history. Hell, if it comes with a waranty card, send it in.
FlySig
Posted 2009-02-14 5:13 PM (#427555 - in reply to #427550)

I wouldn't buy the warrantee and gimmicks.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2009-02-14 5:31 PM (#427556 - in reply to #427550)

Don't know about the extended warranty. Also, if that other guy custom-ordered the guitar, his name might be the original owner.... BUT!
If you have the receipt, and you bought it new, and no-one has registered it with Ovation, you should be the original owner and get the Ovation warranty.

Daddy's is a chain-store, I'm sure they mean 80% of whatever it says on your sales receipt.
Oddball
Posted 2009-02-14 6:28 PM (#427557 - in reply to #427550)

On the car thing — I used to think like you guys. But SWMBO insisted on purchasing an extended warrantee on a Ford F250 we got a few years ago and it has proven a bargain and a half. For a few hundred a year, we've had thousands of dollars worth of work done. I'm not really a new-car kind of guy, but based on this experience, I'd sure recommend and extended warrantee to anyone who was purchasing a late-model vehicle.
Hossman21
Posted 2009-02-14 7:02 PM (#427558 - in reply to #427550)

Since the fella who special ordered it never took possession, I believe that I will be the first owner and should get the warranty card. That will be a comfort to know that it is covered for life by Ovation.

I was planning on passing on the "expanded benefits" plan but I wanted your opinions on the matter. I thank you heartily. Heartily. . . don't get to use that word much.

Is there any special care that this guitar will need? My sons guitar instructor, a very good musician with his Masters, told me that with a standard sound hole, it is a good idea to humidify it when not in use. He suggested getting a sponge, wetting it, wringing it out and placing it into a zip-loc bag and poking holes in the bag. Then place the sponge and bag into the sound hole. Has anyone here ever done this? He said that I could make a smaller bag and place it into the small holes on this guitar.

I don't want to do anything that may be bad for my new baby. Also, is there any guitar polish that you recommend?

How about the fret board? Special care?

Thanks again for all the help.

Hoss
fillhixx
Posted 2009-02-14 7:15 PM (#427559 - in reply to #427550)

Among the best conditioners for guitar necks is HAND SWEAT, with a monthly/annual supplement of a mineral oil rubdown.

Check with those who know BUT, if you get the original owner card with the guitar (it'll be in the case) you get to register it and be covered by all the basic Ovation warrantees....you should need nothing else. (except strings from Al)

You should/may never want for more in a guitar.
(I've never owned one of those, I'm just guessing from my limited experience with every single Ovation I've owned so far.)
Mark in Boise
Posted 2009-02-14 7:18 PM (#427560 - in reply to #427550)

It's time to do some searching, Hoss. There are many different types of humidifiers. Search humidify or humidifier. Same with polish or fretboard. Humidity is an annual topic.
Waskel
Posted 2009-02-14 7:20 PM (#427561 - in reply to #427550)

More like monthly. And strings.
Losov
Posted 2009-02-14 9:09 PM (#427562 - in reply to #427550)

Drill some holes in a bar-soap travel case, put a damp sponge in it and there's your case humidifier, Hoss. Or you can spend lotsa bucks for a Planet Waves.
bvince
Posted 2009-02-14 9:53 PM (#427563 - in reply to #427550)

I had a guy try to push an extended warranty on me so much that - after three attempt - I told him I was no longer interested in the purchase and I walked out. It just aggrevates me to no end when they do that. One NO THANKS should be enough for anyone.
Paulcc1
Posted 2009-02-14 9:57 PM (#427564 - in reply to #427550)

I purchase almost everything from a local guitar store 12mi. up the road apiece just left of where the old Elm tree used to be. I get a card with 5 spaces on it for string purchase after every 5 sets I gets a set free. At Daddy's they want to sell me a card for $20.00 to get 20% on strings and cables, polish, etc. So be cautious buy the forget the expanded benefit package
Pauly
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2009-02-14 10:36 PM (#427565 - in reply to #427550)

Originally posted by Hossman21:
He suggested getting a sponge, wetting it, wringing it out and placing it into a zip-loc bag and poking holes in the bag. Then place the sponge and bag into the sound hole.

Hoss
If the guitar is in the case, that idea of a sponge in a travel soap-dish sounds nice.
I personally used to use plastic film canisters with holes and a damp little sponge.

Now I use THESE which are about the same, except they have Clay inside of them.
They are $4 apiece shipped to your door, and they work really well.

[I really do not get a Kick-Back for these things, even though I keep recommending them... :rolleyes: ]
dvd
Posted 2009-02-14 11:17 PM (#427566 - in reply to #427550)

DampIt works great for the multi-soundhole models.
dobro
Posted 2009-02-15 1:01 AM (#427567 - in reply to #427550)

Just to reassure you, Hoss: If anything goes wrong, you can be sure that the Mothership (factory, CONN) will do right by you. Don't give any extra money to the local man for "extended warranty".
Hossman21
Posted 2009-02-15 4:37 PM (#427568 - in reply to #427550)

Thank you everyone for your assistance. I took MIB's advice and discovered the search tool and read a lot of old posts on humidifers and such and even found a link to someone named Godin who had an intersting video on youtube about conditioning your new instrument by playing it a lot when it is new and putting it in front of your stereo speakers to help to "break it in" during the first couple of weeks. Another thread indicated that if I ever want to stop being a Newbie, I need to search. :~)

Old Man Arthur suggested a product called Herco Guardfather. I looked them up on Sweetwater, and think that I will order one. Am I to understand that one of these little canisters will fit into a sound hole on my C778LX? If so, it seems like a no-brainer for 4 bucks.
Hossman21
Posted 2009-02-15 4:57 PM (#427569 - in reply to #427550)

Thank you everyone for your assistance. I took MIB's advice and discovered the search tool and read a lot of old posts on humidifers and such and even found a link to someone named Godin who had an intersting video on youtube about conditioning your new instrument by playing it a lot when it is new and putting it in front of your stereo speakers to help to "break it in" during the first couple of weeks. Another thread indicated that if I ever want to stop being a Newbie, I need to search. :~)

Old Man Arthur suggested a product called Herco Guardfather. I looked them up on Sweetwater, and think that I will order one. Am I to understand that one of these little canisters will fit into a sound hole on my C778LX? If so, it seems like a no-brainer for 4 bucks.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2009-02-15 5:58 PM (#427570 - in reply to #427550)

Originally posted by Hossman21:
Am I to understand that one of these little canisters will fit into a sound hole on my C778LX?
Uh, Hoss... NO! Those little canisters are meant to be put it your guitar case (in the junk bin).

I don't think that it would be good to have one of them flopping around inside your guitar.
Plus you need to dampen the clay occasionally. How often depends on the humidity of your air.

Planet Waves and Dampits go inside your guitar, but you still need to keep your guitar in a case.
Hossman21
Posted 2009-02-15 7:24 PM (#427571 - in reply to #427550)

Hossman21
Posted 2009-02-15 7:25 PM (#427572 - in reply to #427550)

sorry about the multiple posts. Computer problem I think.
BT717
Posted 2009-02-16 6:18 AM (#427573 - in reply to #427550)

Hossman,
For Elite style guitars use the Dampit. For what it costs vs what you pay for a guitar it's worth doing it right. The Dampit slides inside one of the mid size Eppie holes and gets the humidity inside where it belongs, so it can be "absorbed"
into the wood properly. OMHO.
Paulcc1
Posted 2009-02-16 6:55 AM (#427574 - in reply to #427550)

Go Dampit you wont be sorry
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)