The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : 12345
Now viewing page 4 [25 messages per page]
Connecticut/Northeast OFC'ers

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

AlanM
Posted 2009-02-25 10:43 AM (#427304 - in reply to #427229)
Subject: Re: Connecticut/Northeast OFC'ers

Originally posted by Northcountry:
Not that I have anything to say as I am not doing any of the work trying to organize this but, if you can set this up for May in NJ or June in NY, you'll get some great weather or at least not have to worry about it being to cold to hold this under a pavillion if needed.
Thanks! Still trying to sort it all out and collect information.

BTW: Any and all weather-related input is VERY welcome! (ie: what forecast sends it all indoors? Do people do rain dates? Is there weather-proof electonic equipment? Do "band shells" protect sufficiently against precipitation? The like...)

Thanks again!

Alan
Top of the page Bottom of the page
G8r
Posted 2009-02-25 11:07 AM (#427305 - in reply to #427229)

Talk to Beggin about that - he set up the first SSJ held at a picnic pavilion type thingie in a park in Asheville.

For SSJ-II we were set up under his 2nd story deck, but when it looked like rain was imminent we hauled all the gear indoors, then back out again when it cleared. Quick lesson in being roadies ;)
Mark in Boise
Posted 2009-02-25 11:15 AM (#427306 - in reply to #427229)

I remember having rain interfere with plans. Since we moved here, we just worry about not having enough.
AlanM
Posted 2009-02-25 8:43 PM (#427307 - in reply to #427229)

Might have a line on a free indoor venue. I'll keep you posted.

Alan
AlanM
Posted 2009-02-26 10:25 PM (#427308 - in reply to #427229)

Update: Awaiting a call back from the sales person at a hotel near Bradley International Airport in Windsor Locks, Connecticut.

The proposed deal: free use of their hotel in excahnge for the rental of a couple of rooms or more. Sound good to youse guys? Anyone coming in from outta town? I'll check on rates and the like.

Alan
alpep
Posted 2009-02-27 8:55 AM (#427309 - in reply to #427229)

in the past we have used homewood suites
CrimsonLake
Posted 2009-02-27 9:07 AM (#427310 - in reply to #427229)

Originally posted by AlanM:
Update: Awaiting a call back from the sales person at a hotel near Bradley International Airport in Windsor Locks, Connecticut.

The proposed deal: free use of their hotel in excahnge for the rental of a couple of rooms or more. Sound good to youse guys? Anyone coming in from outta town? I'll check on rates and the like.

Alan
Alan - I didn't read back through the whole thread - did we narrow down the date range at all?
AlanM
Posted 2009-02-27 1:36 PM (#427311 - in reply to #427229)

Originally posted by CrimsonLake:
Alan - I didn't read back through the whole thread - did we narrow down the date range at all?
Not yet...awaiting word from the hotel as to what is available. Then, I'll post it. I hope to hear today.

Al Pep is correct...the hotel is Homewood Suites next to Bradley International Airport.
an4340
Posted 2009-02-27 2:21 PM (#427312 - in reply to #427229)

There's an international airport in CT?
CrimsonLake
Posted 2009-02-27 2:23 PM (#427313 - in reply to #427229)

Originally posted by an4340:
Well.. you do need a passport to get into Canada now.
Beggin
Posted 2009-02-27 2:30 PM (#427314 - in reply to #427229)

I heard that Southerners need a passport to get into the North now too...any truth?
CrimsonLake
Posted 2009-02-27 2:44 PM (#427315 - in reply to #427229)

Nah... you guys can come and go as you please.

Just bring the scotch.
Beal
Posted 2009-02-27 3:31 PM (#427316 - in reply to #427229)

Yes, Bradly is an International Airport. They had a diversion from Canada once............
Charlie Ramon
Posted 2009-02-27 3:42 PM (#427317 - in reply to #427229)

I checked, there are direct flights from European cities to Hartford, CT.

Karl
Northcountry
Posted 2009-02-27 6:21 PM (#427318 - in reply to #427229)

Someone throw a dart at a callender and pull the plug.
I'll have room in the car if anyone wants to gop for a day.... meet up at an exit on off the thruway or? If this happens I'll be getting on in Amsterdam or Fonda and headed east to the Mass Pike, I don't plan to stay but that might change depending on the day and time and how many tickets I can score for the Llama rides.

Cliff your still bringing the Llama's right?
Jewel's Mom a/k/a Joisey Goil #1
Posted 2009-02-27 7:08 PM (#427319 - in reply to #427229)

There's one Joisey-Goil willing to come up for it; I'll see if I can get my compatriot to go along for the ride.
Is it Friday and Saturday, or Saturday into Sunday? (Or all of the above?)
I'd need to leave Saturday night to be home for Sunday morning, but would be willing to do it.

--Karen
AlanM
Posted 2009-02-27 8:16 PM (#427320 - in reply to #427229)

Originally posted by an4340:
Lol! It's kind of the standing joke around here, because so many of the towns in Northern CT are really rural...but, yes, it's an international airport.
AlanM
Posted 2009-02-27 8:17 PM (#427321 - in reply to #427229)

One more update...wasn't able to contact the sales lady at the Homewood Suites, but I will be calling steadily, and will update these pages as soon as I have something.
AlanM
Posted 2009-02-27 8:19 PM (#427322 - in reply to #427229)

Originally posted by Jewel's Mom a/k/a Joisey Goil #1:
There's one Joisey-Goil willing to come up for it; I'll see if I can get my compatriot to go along for the ride.
Is it Friday and Saturday, or Saturday into Sunday? (Or all of the above?)
I'd need to leave Saturday night to be home for Sunday morning, but would be willing to do it.

--Karen
Hi, Karen! I'm trying to find out if I can get a date range from the Homewood Suites...still need to speak with the sales lady there. She's apparently pretty busy, because she hasn't returned a couple of messages.
AlanM
Posted 2009-02-27 8:20 PM (#427323 - in reply to #427229)

Originally posted by Northcountry:
Someone throw a dart at a callender and pull the plug.
I'll have room in the car if anyone wants to gop for a day.... meet up at an exit on off the thruway or? If this happens I'll be getting on in Amsterdam or Fonda and headed east to the Mass Pike, I don't plan to stay but that might change depending on the day and time and how many tickets I can score for the Llama rides.

Cliff your still bringing the Llama's right?
Will do...just want to see what date range the Homewood Suites has available.
AlanM
Posted 2009-02-27 8:21 PM (#427324 - in reply to #427229)

Originally posted by Beal:
Yes, Bradly is an International Airport. They had a diversion from Canada once............
See? It IS an international airport!!!
AlanM
Posted 2009-02-27 8:28 PM (#427325 - in reply to #427229)

One more update...I just left another message for the sales lady at Homewood Suites...She apparently will not be back 'til Monday if you all can wait 'til then for a date.

Again, I, your faithful, intrepid correspondent, will report to you as soon as I have something...

One more off-topic item...going tomorrow to pick up a 2001 Adamas MERB 12-string...REALLY psyched!
BT717
Posted 2009-03-01 10:15 AM (#427326 - in reply to #427229)

Alan, Any word yet?
As discussed, I will be contacting the people about the use of the Pool clubhouse here at my Apts this week. If they say yes and the cost is reasonable we can talk about what's the best site for what we hope to do. If it works out we do it here, Vernon has a few Motels within 4 miles of my place and only 15 mins east of Hartford. I'll advise. As a reminder the weekend I was thinking about was May 23rd and 24th. Anyone please advise if this is good.
AlanM
Posted 2009-03-01 6:31 PM (#427327 - in reply to #427229)

Originally posted by BT717:
Alan, Any word yet?
As discussed, I will be contacting the people about the use of the Pool clubhouse here at my Apts this week. If they say yes and the cost is reasonable we can talk about what's the best site for what we hope to do. If it works out we do it here, Vernon has a few Motels within 4 miles of my place and only 15 mins east of Hartford. I'll advise. As a reminder the weekend I was thinking about was May 23rd and 24th. Anyone please advise if this is good.
Sounds good BT! Does it make sense to pursue both venues? Maybe we can do two events (Though that may be a tad greedy). I should know more on Monday from Homewood Suites.

Me personally? I'd love to do TWO events!

In the meantime, please take a look at the next post. Something to think about for when we actaully DO get some guitarists together!
AlanM
Posted 2009-03-01 6:54 PM (#427328 - in reply to #427229)

Here's what I think is an an extremely interesting guestion, in the context of the upcoming get together: if you have your druthers what is your style? (Note: this is a copy of the same post in the "Imaginary Jam" thread in "General Posting.")

There may be several ways to express this question. Another way: toward what style do you gravitate if left alone for a while to play by yourself? Or: Do you have a primary style? A favorite style? A favorite genre?

If you wish to skip all the self-absorbed introspection between here and my answers to those questions, please feel free to go to the bottom of this long screed right now.

By way of background, I came from a rock 'n roll background. But that was only because you had to be that way to find anyone to play with when I was starting out (late '70's). Our foundation was a guy who knew a bit about several songs on an old nylon string guitar.

From that we started your basic garage band. We were ok...ok enough to play parties and the occasional school dance. However, that was not REALLY what I wanted to do, so I continued to practice and practice and practice "on the side," as I continued to play wih the band.

What emerged from all this side practice was a VERY arrhythmic kind of thing. It's a kind of a Spanish-flamenco, vaguely jazz-like sounding thing that instead of being rhythmic sort of wraps itself around the rhythm with notes that -- if I'm having a "good night" -- can sound really nice.

If, however, I'm not as inspired as I could be, or the fingers are just not doing what I tell them to, or my imagination fails me, it rarely gets beyond hum-drum...though I can drag myself out of the blahs from time-to-time.

Well, as you can imagine, the garage bands usually dissipate like dried leaves in the autumn wind. So did ours, and I was left with this style that was more natural to me but severely constrained the number of people I could play with.

Everyone kept asking me "what songs I knew." When I answered that I really didn't know "songs" per se, and that I kind of made it up as I went along, the uncharitable among them concluded: "doesn't play well with others."

Long story short: I'm at a point where I guess my most congenial style would produce "songs," if such they could be called, like "Jam in D Minor." And it would typically consist of a "conversation" between instruments (or instrumentalists) who improvise in the key. They would go on for varying times as the instrumentalist(s) had more or less to "say" depending on the night.

And, you can add as much or as little "structure" to it as you like. It DOES adapt well, and one CAN play well with others, if all the instrumentalists are of a similar temperament. However, I get the impression (I hope erroneously), that few are of this temperament. Most seem to want to play "songs."

I understand this inclination: if everyone knows a song, it serves as a framework for just starting off and making music. Songs can provide the framework for improvisation as well. I understand that also. But, it does seem limiting somewhat.

I have had some tell me that I am really good, and that they would go anywhere I was playing as a one-man show. In other words, I have a bunch of intros to a stretch of improvisation that could be called "songs," and others have liked them quite a bit. And, those who have liked my playing have enjoyed it in the context of the "one-man show." All this doesn't help dodge the tag: "Doesn't play well with others." I hope that's simply a tag used by those who're choosing not to use their imagination to envision musical arrhythmia as a good thing.

Anyway, with all that, are there others out there like this? I know that there are some (many?) of you who are likely WAY overly modest about your own skills. In conversation with some of you, you have indicated that you "can play just about anything placed in front of you." Not being *formally* musically schooled, I am ignorant of your abilities just to make it up as you go.

A friend at work is a wonderful violist, but cannot improvise to save her life. More: I have no idea to how many of you the style I am describing is congenial. Or, rather does it seem sporadic, disorganized and/or chaotic?

Anyway...to keep this screed to what you see above...here are my answers to the above questions:

Description of myself as a guitarist:
--------------------------------------------------------------
Primary Style:
* flat picker
* arrhythmic
* nearly 100% improvisation
* Spanish-flamenco sounding
Style:
* very jam session-oriented, where people just start playing and others join in as they like.
* Like a "musical conversation" that can take many different twists and turns.
* "bad is good," because it means that you have been stretched.
Favorite Genre:
* "free jazz" (truly for lack of a better term)

For an idea of what I'm talking about, here's a sample of what I do: Solo Jam in E Minor Is that the kind of thing that gets played at these things?
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 4 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)