The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
ot...kinda but do you have a house alarm on your place ???

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

Beal
Posted 2009-02-20 8:46 PM (#426759 - in reply to #426734)
Subject: Re: ot...kinda but do you have a house alarm on your place ???

The best system was what George Gruhn used to have for his van that he took to bluegrass festivals when he was starting out. He never locked the van. He just made sure EVERYONE knew that there were 4,5 or 6, can't remember which, rattle snakes loose in the back with all the guitars. I don't think he ever had a problem.........
Hence his nick name, Snakey George.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
noah
Posted 2009-02-21 1:38 AM (#426760 - in reply to #426734)

Originally posted by moody, p.i.:
I guess that you'd have to try and break into my house to find out what I've got.....
yep... while the dogs are licking me to death, you'll shoot me with something, then shoot me with something else, then shoot me with something else... sort of like Burt Gummer from one of the Tremors movies.

Joe Rotax
Posted 2009-02-21 3:53 AM (#426761 - in reply to #426734)

I grew up in a farm town where people didn't lock their doors even when they went out. Nothing ever happened. Heaven is a place where nothing ever happens.

Now I practice law in a large city full of disgusting people, get the occasional death threat and live in a place with alarms and security guards walking around.
Jeff W.
Posted 2009-02-21 6:47 AM (#426762 - in reply to #426734)

Dogs.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2009-02-21 12:46 PM (#426763 - in reply to #426734)

The mention of dogs reminded me about lights too.

Both excellent deterrent. An important thing is to NEVER EVER confuse "defense" with "deterrence"... NEVER.

Guns, knives, baseball bats, telephone, screaming, are all "defense" for when your "deterrence" FAILED.

Back to lights and dogs. Automatic driveway and house lights that work on motion are GREAT deterrence. Especially indoors. A light on a time easily noticed, but ones that switch on at dusk and stay on for awhile, then turn off, and maybe turn on again when the pet walks by them are great. No pattern, no real maintenance.

The only time that backfires is when your friends stop by when your're not home and they give you heck cause "I know you were home". The driveway light came on, and then the front door light, I know you saw it was me and then I saw the kitchen light come on and when I finally was leaving it went off... why were you hiding"... LOL !!!!

In fact it was a combination of his car lights, him walking up to the door and our cats responding to the noise inside by going to the window.

But I digress. Dogs are handy I must admit. They also tend to alert you to the important things like fire or even if someone gets injured. They are likely more expensive than a monitored system, and not much use when your on vacation and they are in a kennel, or with you, but still.... dogs have been helping man for a long long time, and are quite good at it, and seem to like to do it too.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2009-02-21 12:50 PM (#426764 - in reply to #426734)

Loading out of gigs is a whole different story.

That is where most gear is stolen. You can never have enough eyes.

There was talk about putting lo-jack type devices in guitars... but it's just so cost prohibitive.

Then again, insurance for gigged instruments isn't cheap either and you're like to not get the instrument back anyway.
FlySig
Posted 2009-02-21 4:10 PM (#426765 - in reply to #426734)

Originally posted by Mr. Ovation:
Then again, insurance for gigged instruments isn't cheap either and you're like to not get the instrument back anyway.
The company we're going to go with offers a $125 per year premium that covers up to $19,000 worth of musical equipment. It covers all risks except nuclear war, intentional damage, and similar stuff. Normal theft, destruction, fire, etc are covered. The deductible is $250, which isn't bad at all.

They cover professional use, so stuff stolen during a gig is fully covered (minus deductible).
Gway
Posted 2009-02-21 5:43 PM (#426766 - in reply to #426734)

Miles, I agree with you to an extent. But there has been a rise in "home invasions", that means someone is at home, and the alarm is off. I've worked in a prison. They don't give a crap about your alarm.They are usually armed, and there is more than one. At least I'm going to do what the 2nd amendment allows.Deterants are fine, but they don't work all the time.until then it's "lock and load" for me.
guitarwannabee
Posted 2009-02-21 9:21 PM (#426767 - in reply to #426734)

gway you need to get to the leaping lizard and have a few to calm down.you floridans have a natural theme of carrying guns when you go out of the house or out on your boats worrying about people who are going to kill you or pirate your ship.are you in ft.myers?when i am down there i just carry my guitar with me and if anyone threatens me i just whip it out and start playing , that will scare anyone away with a gun or a grenade launcher,GWB
Gallerinski
Posted 2009-02-21 11:11 PM (#426768 - in reply to #426734)

I just leave a banjo sitting outside the front door.
Waskel
Posted 2009-02-21 11:40 PM (#426769 - in reply to #426734)

That would certainly stop me.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)