The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Just bought a Chinese Celebrity, and couldn't be happier.

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

Tarekith
Posted 2009-02-25 1:05 AM (#426351)
Subject: Just bought a Chinese Celebrity, and couldn't be happier.

Hello all, just wanted to say hi and thanks for the great site.

Been playing guitar for well on 17 years now, it was my first instrument and opened up more doors than I could ever have dreamed of when I first started. Slowly I transitioned from guitar player, to multi-instrumentalist, to producer, and the last few even started my own small mastering business.

Through out that time there was always one guitar that caught my eye, and seemed to evade my grasp for one reason or another. Sometimes it was lack of funds, other times it was doubt that it was really the right guitar for me. I already had an electric that was 'my baby', even if I was more into producing than playing the last decade or so. So more often than not, I looked longingly at an acoustic, but ultimately the money went elsewhere.

Recently I've been getting a little burned out on music. Day in and day out of thinking about it for so many years will do that to a person I guess. I started missing the old days when all I worried about was the guitar. The electric was filling that role nicely, but then it happened. I saw the acoustic I've always wanted again. A flamed maple blue celebrity, CC44-8tq.

Not the most glamourous guitar by any means I know. Given the comments I've read here and elsewhere over the last few weeks, not even really like by Ovation fans per se either. But something about that guitar spoke to me.

Still, I've learned the lesson of research your musical purchases, so I decided since it was time to buy an acoustic, I better do my research and get up to speed. Days, weeks, a couple months went by where I read what I could, demo'd as many guitars as I could get my hands on, and generally tried to justify what some might consider a crazy purchase given my situation.

USA-made guitars are obviously preferred here and elsewhere, so I spent a lot of time trynig those out. They project better, they sound warmer, the materials and workmanship are arguably better no doubt. But even though I knew better in my mind, everytime I picked up that blue Celebrity in the store I just smiled and really ENJOYED playing it. For some reason that guitar that was sometimes 1/4 the cost of what many consider to be a better instrument, just reminded me of why I loved playing music so much in the first place. It FELT right, regardless of what other's might think, or what I had read online.

Decision made, I put my money down and ordered one that day (the one in the store had some slight blemishes). For the first time in a long time, i can't wait until a new piece of music gear arrives, and trust me I've bought MANY pieces since I started in this field 17 years ago.

Not sure why I wrote all this, other than to maybe let other people who might not be able to afford what many consider to be "better" to always follow their heart when it comes to music.

Even if it takes you 17 years to realize it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Oddball
Posted 2009-02-25 1:16 AM (#426352 - in reply to #426351)
Subject: Re: Just bought a Chinese Celebrity, and couldn't be happier.

Great story. I'm sure everyone here has one like it about a particular guitar. There's always one that speaks to you, no matter if it's made on this side of the Pacific or the other.

Be sure to posts some photos when the blue flame arrives.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2009-02-25 1:17 AM (#426353 - in reply to #426351)

Welcome Tarekith :cool:

As many have said, just play what speaks to you.

Now that you told us about it, you have to post pictures when you get it.

Stick Around...
dave3dg
Posted 2009-02-25 2:24 AM (#426354 - in reply to #426351)

Welcome also Tarekith, it's possible you will be caught up in the trap of creating a 'herd' of O's. Good on you :)
flackster
Posted 2009-02-25 4:06 AM (#426355 - in reply to #426351)

G'day & welcome, that's a great insight into what you have been through. Looking forward to seeing a few photos. :D
Gallerinski
Posted 2009-02-25 7:04 AM (#426356 - in reply to #426351)

Excellent. I'm sure you're going to love it. Thanks for the very inspirational story.
G8r
Posted 2009-02-25 7:25 AM (#426357 - in reply to #426351)

Great story! welcome to the board, and I'm one of those who always says you have to get the guitar that speaks to you. You're lucky to have found yours.
Captain Lovehandles
Posted 2009-02-25 7:33 AM (#426358 - in reply to #426351)

Congratulations and welcome! Sounds like after all you went through getting ready for that guitar, it should be a great friend to you.

IN FACT - it sounds like me. I can't stop gushing about my new Elite.
Auriemma
Posted 2009-02-25 8:16 AM (#426359 - in reply to #426351)

Welcome to the asylum and Congrats on the new acquisition.

Its not about the cost, its about how the guitar fits you. My main concern for you is that the one in the store fit you (blemishes and all). Will the one you ordered? No two guitars are alike.

May your new one fit you well. Play it long, play it often... then play it some more!
Beggin
Posted 2009-02-25 8:19 AM (#426360 - in reply to #426351)

Congrats Tarekith ! Unfortunately I have too many guitars that speak to me, but that is common around here.

PICS, we love PICS!
Phil Wong
Posted 2009-02-25 8:20 AM (#426361 - in reply to #426351)

Welcome to the club. Chinese celebrity hmm... The only problem that I see with this is one hour after you finish playing it you will be hungry to play it again. ;)
dobro
Posted 2009-02-25 8:25 AM (#426362 - in reply to #426351)

Welcome to the OFC, Tarekith. The range of tastes here is very broad, so it's great to hear a cheer for the Celebrity. You should post a picture and perhaps a sound clip. If you click on the first link in the signature below it will take you the OFC networking (ning) place where you can set up a page for pics, blog, music, vid etc.
alpep
Posted 2009-02-25 8:27 AM (#426363 - in reply to #426351)

the imports just keep getting better and better.
that is a fact.

a fact that I think many don't want to grasp
Mitzdawg
Posted 2009-02-25 9:00 AM (#426364 - in reply to #426351)

They just keep speaking to me...

If I put them in their case they start screaming louder and louder until I have to let them out... I'm afraid the neighbors will complain.

Once a week we have to sit in a circle and they tell me things..... Give me instructions.

:eek:
MWoody
Posted 2009-02-25 9:05 AM (#426365 - in reply to #426351)

As the debate oftens turns out - the best guitar is the one you're playing at the time!

And yes, to the better quality of overseas anything. Part Toolidge and part higher expectations by the Customer.

and Welcome!

BTW - Are you busy Saturday? Looks like a mini OFC gathering at the Ted Brown in Tacoma - 3 of us so far...
MWoody
Posted 2009-02-25 9:08 AM (#426366 - in reply to #426351)

And yes - One day I'll actually grab one of those Purple Flamed and Curly Maple celebs that I have been intrigued by for years
Tarekith
Posted 2009-02-25 9:21 AM (#426367 - in reply to #426351)

Thanks all, I should have it on Thursday, I'll be sure to post some pics when it gets here. As for Saturday, I already have plans to go play in the snow in the passes, but thanks for the offer!
birddog
Posted 2009-02-25 9:37 AM (#426368 - in reply to #426351)

Originally posted by alpep:
that is a fact.

Hey welcome & great story, looking forward to the photos.

I'm getting impressed with the quality of chinese guitars lately. I got one last week (not an Ovation) although other here voiced against it & couldn't be happier. Excellent workmanship, sound, nice wood and lots of bling for the buck.
I think the only improvement I can make is a set of bone bridge pins as it already has a bone nut.
In fact, I'm so happy I would consider sponsoring the 9 year old luither that built it to come to america to build $2000+ guitars out of my shop. ;) Wouldn't take long to build a reputation of fine built "custom made" guitars.

Wally
FlySig
Posted 2009-02-25 9:40 AM (#426369 - in reply to #426351)

Tarekith, welcome aboard! There are a lot of flavors of Ovation, and we each have our preferences. But one thing we all love is someone who loves to play, no matter what instrument (as long as it isn't a banjo ;) ). And as you have been told already, we love pics.

Originally posted by alpep:
that is a fact.

I've been a "buy American" kind of consumer since the mid 1980's and seeing what the Japanese were doing by dumping their electronics below cost on our markets.

So, yeah, I'd rather see production of all O's onshore, even the Celebs. It worries me that the imports are getting so good, just because it threatens domestic jobs.

But the problem I have with Celebs isn't the Celeb itself, it is that most brick and mortar stores only carry the Celebs, not an Ovation in sight. The Celebrity line is an outstanding value. But, at their price points, so are the Ovations!
Hossman21
Posted 2009-02-25 12:49 PM (#426370 - in reply to #426351)

Thanks for that honest and interesting story.

Welcome Tarekith
bcoombs
Posted 2009-02-25 1:30 PM (#426371 - in reply to #426351)

Great story and welcome!
augerscope
Posted 2009-02-25 3:05 PM (#426372 - in reply to #426351)

I think the "quality" depends heavily on the management of the factory and the manufacturers' control over their QC.

I recently obtained a Japanese brand, made in China
Hollowbody guitar and I could not find anything wrong with the quality. It produces sweet sound and nice playability with just the right action that one can ask for. All I can say is that I'm impressed.

Regards to all.
birddog
Posted 2009-02-25 5:24 PM (#426373 - in reply to #426351)

Play it, enjoy it. I enjoyed my first Korean made Clebrity for about a year. Now its en-route to someone else to enjoy in North Carolina for a while. I did step up to an american made Balladeer LX about 6 months ago and am glad I did.

Imports are getting better, someday if such a thing as air pollution controls are set in place, something like OSHA and several other government regulations they may cost more someday. But probably not in a communist country.

I can tell you I have been fighting with quality issues in the auto body industry with body parts forced upon us by INSURANCE companies for about 20 years made in China. Even when I was an insurance adjuster years ago I used to have to tell some of the people that were UAW workers that we were putting aftermarket parts on their vehicle(as was written into their policy) had to take a tounge lashing from a couple of them.
In the begining most of them were terrible, if you looked at one right next to the other there was no camparison.
Sheet metal fenders and hoods wouldn't fit, holes had to be slotted or hoged out, gaps between panels, wide, narrow, crooked you name it. There was no quality control over there, it was all cost driven. Shops got together and groups were formed to "certify" parts that fit & parts that didn't. Groups had to go to China & work with them on quality issues. In the shop these days, quality has improved greatly and I would say about 80% work fine. You still get an occasional part that dosen't fit.
Of course this dosen't keep any jobs here, and
I don't think your insurance company cares. :confused: but they still need customers to pay premiums.

P.S. I tried to enter a canoe race last summer and use an old clebrity shallow bowl for a paddle, they wouldn't let me.

Wally
Tarekith
Posted 2009-03-01 11:02 AM (#426374 - in reply to #426351)

Pic!
Captain Black
Posted 2009-03-01 12:17 PM (#426375 - in reply to #426351)

I think some of us can tend to be a little snobish about USA build, and I'm probably as guilty as the next person. When you think that the Stratocaster for instance was only ever intended to be a mass-produced, quickly assembled guitar, and what early examples can now fetch on the collectables market, you could be forgiven for thinking the world had gone crazy. I think we are driven by other people/reviewers in regard to what we should like. A great deal of it just passes me by. Your guitar looks absolutely beautiful, and if it has spoken to you, (almost every one I come by speaks to me in one way or another) then that's fabulous. Thanks for your inspirational story, may you have much enjoyment.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)