The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Ovation celebrity dlx Lcs247 top

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

auto97
Posted 2009-02-27 1:21 PM (#425985)
Subject: Ovation celebrity dlx Lcs247 top

Hi,

Does some of you, my fellow Ovation owners, know if the guitar I bought from France three years ago (lefty dlx LCS247-natural) has solid or laminated top? Atleast I'm sure my 1719L does,

Ilkka
Top of the page Bottom of the page
G8r
Posted 2009-02-27 2:18 PM (#425986 - in reply to #425985)
Subject: Re: Ovation celebrity dlx Lcs247 top

A belated welcome to the board! I thought the Celebrity's with the "S" is the model were solid top, but the Ovation web site description for this guitar doesn't explicitly state solid in the top description. That usually means a laminated top. Sorry I don't have a definitive answer, maybe someone else more knowledgeable than I will chime in.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2009-02-27 2:39 PM (#425987 - in reply to #425985)

I once owned a CS257 with a really cool looking 'flamed maple' top...
It was laminate.
On the CS257, when I opened the rear access hatch I could see that the grain did not go the same direction as the grain on the top.
The grain on the side of the plywood that they chose not use was real pretty too... just different.
TAFKAR
Posted 2009-02-27 8:24 PM (#425988 - in reply to #425985)

I know this is heresy, but are laminated tops less likely to split than solid tops? Technically all Adamii are laminated, and (short of lending them to a young Pete Townshend) I've never heard of one splitting.

i.e. If you wanted a practice guitar that had to survive rough extremes, would a laminated top Celebrity be better than a solid top celebrity, even if they were the same price?
Northcountry
Posted 2009-02-27 11:23 PM (#425989 - in reply to #425985)

Anytime you laminate two grains of wood runnning in different directions you will gain strength.

The Adamas's main claim to fame is the use of carbon fiber, much thinner, lighter and better sonic properties and amazing strength and durability and actual gains in frequency in comparison to solid wood tops. An advanced material that is not a fair comparison. Carbon Fiber is in a class of it's own really.

So yeah, I would venture a guess and say; the Lamm tops should hold up better but you loose a lot in sound vibration in comparison with a solid spruce top. You do get some great looking quilted and tiger maple tops from his process though. And if your plugged in most of the time it is not as important what the acoustic properties are.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)