The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Academy Story

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

CrimsonLake
Posted 2009-03-03 5:41 PM (#425315)
Subject: Academy Story

Last Christmas (2007) I bought an Academy (ka14) off of Ebay for my oldest son. It was kinda of a gag gift, but one that he could definitely enjoy. When I strung it up, it was nearly unplayable. Nothing at the first few frets and heavy buzz the rest of the way up.

Fast forward a year+ - he finally asked me if I could fix it up for him, so I took a look at it. No truss rod, a bit of a belly bulge (like me) and still alot of buzz. I didn't have time for major surgery, so I put a couple of more shims underneath the saddle and strung it up with Silk and Steels. It still buzzes, but it's playable.

I can see what the buzz (no pun intended) is all about. It is loud and sounds much better than it has a right to! Probably the best $100 bucks I ever spent on a guitar. He's happy with it.

The only other thing I can do short of removing and adjusting the neck position is to change out the nut, which looks pretty worn.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
2ifbyC
Posted 2009-03-03 8:26 PM (#425316 - in reply to #425315)
Subject: Re: Academy Story

Dave/Toby/'ski has been lauding the Academy for ever. When I got my KA 14 I was blown away with the tone and volume. It's not the best finished guitar, but for plastic, it's awesome!

Now, where's an undamaged KA-17 for sale?
numbfingers
Posted 2009-03-03 9:32 PM (#425317 - in reply to #425315)

Arthur just got a KA17- maybe he wants to become "Old Trader Arthur"?

I have a KA14 with a bulge below the bridge and high action. Frets are sharp as heck too. But it does make a good sound, even with silk and steel strings. Every so often I think about attempting a neck reset.

-Steve W.
ksdaddy
Posted 2009-03-03 10:26 PM (#425318 - in reply to #425315)

UPS will be bringing my KA14 tomorrow.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2009-03-03 10:48 PM (#425319 - in reply to #425315)

UPS sez my KA17 will be here Wednesday.

We'll see... I hate UPS! (Although they have never destroyed anything on me)
ksdaddy
Posted 2009-03-05 8:59 AM (#425320 - in reply to #425315)

Mine came in last night. It was in a Peavey-esque Applause HSC. The strings were at least a few years old and black. Even with all the rust it sounded great. I was careful, as my tetanus shot is way out of date. I cleaned it up and put new strings on it and WOW. I can't believe a piece of tupperware coupld sound so good. It's just so full and boomy.

I can't figure out something. I've probably had 15 Ovations (who counts?), some Applauses, and now this Academy. I've had early ones (not shiny bowls but close), ones from the early 70s, early 80s, a 1990 1719 with bling.... in other words, I've sampled a pretty good cross section. Why is it the $12 ebay plywood topped Moosup Applause sounds better than the four-figure Ovations? And the plastic topped Academy may sound even better than that?

Makes no sense I tells ya.
2ifbyC
Posted 2009-03-05 10:32 AM (#425321 - in reply to #425315)

Ah ha! Another Academy convert...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)