The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Ovation Guitars really don't get the respect they deserve!" - Alex Pepiak

Jump to page : 123
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Curious . . . .

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

Hossman21
Posted 2009-03-05 12:19 AM (#424912)
Subject: Curious . . . .

I gather from my short time here and from the many recordings and videos I have enjoyed, that many of you are exceptional guitarists with mucho experiences with music. My question is, have any of you had the opportunity to play with any famous guitar players? Other than Mr. King with his beautiful daughter. And, if so, would you care to give a description of the event and or person you played with?

Thanks in advance
Top of the page Bottom of the page
stephent28
Posted 2009-03-05 1:18 AM (#424913 - in reply to #424912)
Subject: Re: Curious . . . .

The main group I was in back in the 70's opened up several shows for "The Guess Who". Also played shows with many regional acts such as BLOODROCK, FEVER TREE, and jammed with Eric Johnson when he was with the Electromagnets.

There was a place in Houston back in the mid/late 60s called Milby Park where many of the days musicians would go to gather and either jam or sometimes play with their groups. Some of the ones I got to hang with were Billy Gibbons (when he was with the Moving Sidewalks), Johnny and Edgar Winter, Roky Erickson, Bugs Henderson, John Nitzinger and probably more that I have forgotten. It would have been nice to have jammed with all of them but when most of them were playing at Milby Park I was mid-teens and while I got to hang and socialize that was the extent of it.

Hossman have you gotten a hold of any of the OFC CD's? Some pretty good member music on all 3 of them.
PEZ
Posted 2009-03-05 2:17 AM (#424914 - in reply to #424912)

Me certianly not exceptional.....
Just real real lucky
I'm your basic chord strumming hack.
Can't play lead to save my life.

If you mean on the stage at the same time playing.
Buddy Cage pedal steel player twice.
(New Riders of the Purple Sage a long list studio work including Bob Dylan & Ann Murrey)
Rick Danko Bass player The Band once.
G. E. Smith & the SNL Band once on a Tuesday.

Playing seperately on the same bill
http://s219.photobucket.com/albums/cc285/pezcleo/?action=view&curre...
plus Hank Jr & Lynard Skynard
(they were selling their own shirts for $50 each and did not allow thier name on the event shirts)
http://s219.photobucket.com/albums/cc285/pezcleo/?action=view&curre...

Just met too many to list as managed part of 5000
seat concert hall.

Got Huey Lewis to try single malt scotch.
(GLENFIDDICH) He had order Dewar's :(
PEZ
Posted 2009-03-05 2:23 AM (#424915 - in reply to #424912)

Originally posted by stephent28:
The main group I was in back in the 70's opened up several shows for "The Guess Who". Also played shows with many regional acts such as BLOODROCK, FEVER TREE, and jammed with Eric Johnson when he was with the Electromagnets.
Great Band.
The Guess Who & Steffenwolfin the 80s
One best shows I ever saw.
AlanM
Posted 2009-03-05 8:34 AM (#424916 - in reply to #424912)

For real: Frank Varela...now HE's played wth Larry Coryell!

Also for real, and a funny story, played once with Philippe Catherine in Paris, though, I can guarantee it, HE doesn't remember it!

And, if you count them playing on a youtube video, while I jam along, then Mark Knopfler, John McLaughline, Al DiMeola, Larry Coryell...numerous others.

Oh. They have to *KNOW* they're playing with you?

Darn.

Never mind.
ProfessorBB
Posted 2009-03-05 8:55 AM (#424917 - in reply to #424912)

Jammed all night with Kenny Loggins in a dayroom at a National Guard air base in Ontario California in 1969. He was personal friends with several guys in the unit and we were all killing time in preparation for a drill. I didn't know his last name at the time and we all just referred to him as Kenny. He was not a member of the unit, just a good (and very talented) friend of a friend.

Also jammed at a campfire in Mesa Verde National Park in the early 1970's with Dan Fogelberg who was, at the time, traveling back and forth between California and Chicago in the early stages of his music career, heard me playing in a campground, and asked if he could join me. Fortunately, I had an extra guitar with me. I had never heard of him at that time and only later remembered the event because I had written down his name and California telephone number which was still on a piece of paper in the camping trailer. The number was disconnected when I tried it a few years later.
FlySig
Posted 2009-03-05 9:27 AM (#424918 - in reply to #424912)

PRof, have you seen that campground recently? It is all dilapidated and overgrown. A real shame. We camped there back in '89 and it was beautiful then.

As far as famous people, the only one I've performed with was Doc Severensen when I was a senior in high school. I sang with some other folks. He's the only famous musician I've ever performed with.

Except that time I sang with James Taylor. Along with 20,000 others in the auditorium!
TRboy
Posted 2009-03-05 9:29 AM (#424919 - in reply to #424912)

I played and sang with Steve Sutton (DeBanjo) and Mr. Beal..... :cool:
dobro
Posted 2009-03-05 9:51 AM (#424920 - in reply to #424912)

I grew up in the same corner of the Bay Area (CA) as Stanley Jordan. He was already into guitar and computers big time in high school. I remember going over to his house and marveling at a Travis Bean guitar he had with an aluminum neck (it was fixed to a music stand!). I learned to use all-fourths tuning from him back in '75. Still use it now. I was amazed at his playing and how much I learned just hanging out: For example, if you take a simple "stack of fourths" at the 7th fret, top strings (A D G C) and also the variant that has a tritone (Ab D G C) you can use them--at the right place on the neck, of course--to function as any chord you need in a jazz comping context. The only wisdom you need is to know what root to associate with each such "stack". For example the second one (Ab D G C) gives a nice Bb13 if you play it over an Bb bass note. Pretty cool! Or the first type of stack (6th fret: all perfect fourths) G# C# F# B gives a nice major chord (maj 6 9) over an open E bass. There's an amazing variety of sounds you get by just deploying these two basic types of "fourth stacks" over different bass notes. Anyway.... a great guitar lesson from Stanley J!

I got to play with Barney Kessel at a clinic (Great American Music Hall) in the late 70s. As a member of a jazz ensemble I was singled out in a competition (kind words) by jazz great John Handy.
Ran into Clapton in a record store in Greenwich Village. Didn't play though....

And every gig I play with a truly amazing guitarist I met on this site: Jeff Burns member 2805!
Hossman21
Posted 2009-03-05 10:22 AM (#424921 - in reply to #424912)

Thanks for the stories thus far. They are awesome.

Stephent, no I have not gotten any OFC cds yet. Are they available for purchase on this site?

Kinda cool that some of you jammed with famous people before they became famous. Around a campfire no less!

Heuy Lewis used to play the local bars in Rome, NY back when I was a teenager.

Great stuff, I hope that more members will chime in here.
stephent28
Posted 2009-03-05 11:10 AM (#424922 - in reply to #424912)

Hossman, I believe that all the CDs are still available through the online OFC store.

Maybe contact Miles for the definitive answer.
Steve A
Posted 2009-03-05 12:36 PM (#424923 - in reply to #424912)

I played guitar with Clint Black once. He was visiting with the troops in Somalia and heard that another soldier and I had brought along our guitars and that were doing some "entertaining". So he sent word that he would like to do a song with us. We were honored and ended up playing "City Lights" with him. He was very gracious.
AlanM
Posted 2009-03-05 12:50 PM (#424924 - in reply to #424912)

From dobro:
take a simple "stack of fourths" at the 7th fret, top strings (A D G C) and also the variant that has a tritone (Ab D G C) you can use them--at the right place on the neck, of course--to function as any chord you need in a jazz comping context. The only wisdom you need is to know what root to associate with each such "stack". For example the second one (Ab D G C) gives a nice Bb13 if you play it over an Bb bass note. Pretty cool! Or the first type of stack (6th fret: all perfect fourths) G# C# F# B gives a nice major chord (maj 6 9) over an open E bass.
I KNOW he's talking to me, because I see letters and things, but I DON'T know what he's saying!!! :confused:
dobro
Posted 2009-03-05 1:33 PM (#424925 - in reply to #424912)

Hey, don't feel bad: most of the time I don't know what I'm talking about either. Whoo Hoo!
Mark in Boise
Posted 2009-03-05 1:43 PM (#424926 - in reply to #424912)

And people think lawyers talk funny.
dobro
Posted 2009-03-05 2:20 PM (#424927 - in reply to #424912)

No doubt (except, in my case that's no excuse: I'm not a lawyer!)
Captain Lovehandles
Posted 2009-03-05 2:32 PM (#424928 - in reply to #424912)

I've performed many times with Alan Jackson. He and I both grew up in Newnan, GA and were in the same church youth group (and youth choir).

As far as really performing WITH him, not really. We hung out some and played Sunday afternoon football with the same crowd. We were friends, but I had a singing partner and so did Alan. We'd end up playing the same Beta Club year-end banquets and such.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2009-03-05 2:34 PM (#424929 - in reply to #424912)

Originally posted by dobro:
No doubt (except, in my case that's no excuse: I'm not a lawyer!)
I know. Maybe if you were, I could understand you. Would "music geek" be more accurate?
ProfessorBB
Posted 2009-03-05 2:45 PM (#424930 - in reply to #424912)

Originally posted by FlySig:
As far as famous people, the only one I've performed with was Doc Severensen when I was a senior in high school. I sang with some other folks. He's the only famous musician I've ever performed with.
Doc Severensen formerly held the position of Principal Pops Conductor for the Colorado Symphony Orchestra. I have sung in the Symphony Chorus for 21 years and we sang dozens of concerts with Doc and his combo. However, I was one of several hundred membes of the chorus, so I didn't really think of this as jammin' with a celebrity.

This past holiday season, I appeared on stage with Darin McGavin, with Richard Kaufman conducting. But that's another life.
Jonmark Stone
Posted 2009-03-05 3:27 PM (#424931 - in reply to #424912)

I hesitate a little in posting this.
I've been really lucky to have had the life in music I've had.
But I am very aware of all that I'm not... and that I've likely gone as far as I will.

I'm 48 and I've been playing professionally since I was 12. So there have been many famous and infamous characters along the way. A few were exceptional people in unexpected ways, some endlessly self absorbed (and considerably less talented than their support staff).
It's cliché I know, but people are people. Some more worth knowing than others... famous or not.
(Mickey Newbury was the most brilliant artist I've ever known... Mickey who? you say... on the opposite end, spending one day with Jerry Lee Lewis was one too many...)

A sure sign of aging in this business is when credits involving "famous" people loose their credibility because the younger population no longer knows who they are! ouch.
(My first cut as a songwriter was by Tennessee Ernie Ford... a truly sweet man. Try dropping that name to a younger audience.)
"Fortune is fleeting, Fame is a bore" a friend of mine once wrote.

I do have moments that are extra special memories for me though. John Denver told me I was a better guitarist than he was... a statement I totally disagree with, but I cherish the complement.
(Sorry to say he hated O's...)

Getting to play Waylon's famous leather Tele was way cool... and so was he...
Following Roy Clark is a humbling experience I learned early.
Hanging out with Jerry Reed was a thrill.

I've said this here before but I'll repeat, as a guitarist, I've been most "starstruck" around the sidemen and studio musicians I've known and worked with through the years.
Infinitely more versatile than most "stars".

Say what you will about *insert famous guitarist here*, if spending 4 hours in a studio with Brent Mason doesn't make you go home and practice (or chop up some firewood), you're a better man than I.

I've rambled enough.
Time to clean out the cat boxes.
Beal
Posted 2009-03-05 3:37 PM (#424932 - in reply to #424912)

Josh White
Glen
Marcel
Kevin Cronin

but the important ones are:
Debanjo and Entwistle
Pam and Davis Turner
Witko, Al, Cliff, Temp and Slipkid

and of course............

DARBY NIX
Jeff W.
Posted 2009-03-05 3:43 PM (#424933 - in reply to #424912)

"That Guy"
CanterburyStrings
Posted 2009-03-05 3:43 PM (#424934 - in reply to #424912)

I played with Alison Krauss, sitting on the hood of a car behind the stage at a bluegrass festival in upstate New York. At that time Alison Brown was her banjo player.(She is an AMAZING talent.) She had previously been in a band with some friends of mine. I walked over and said Hi, and Alison Brown introduced me. We all got a kick out of that, three Alisons, and we all even spelled it the same way. I mentioned that I played guitar, so Alison Krauss said "Well go get it." I did. I don't even remember what we played, something simple like "I'll fly away". But it was pretty cool.
Jeff W.
Posted 2009-03-05 3:46 PM (#424935 - in reply to #424912)

I'd marry Allison Krauss for her voice alone (the fiddle playing it just bonus)

and

Alison Brown IS very, very good
Hossman21
Posted 2009-03-05 4:14 PM (#424936 - in reply to #424912)

Some great posts and greater stories here. Thank you all again for sharing these experiences with the group.

I am a ham and egger who used to sing lead with some bands early in my life and didn't take up the guitar until I decided to go to work and didn't have time for the band. As I didn't have a talented guitar player to play for me anymore, I figured I had better start doing for myself.

I have never had the opportunity to play with someone famous, but I have played with some talented musicians. I love entertaining and wish that I hadn't let it go for so long.

I am enjoying this group very much and thank you all for putting up with me.

Now, how about some more stories!! I can't wait to share them with my wife and kids.
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)