The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Adamas neck question

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

4fingers
Posted 2009-03-09 8:43 PM (#424206)
Subject: Adamas neck question

Just finished trying out my new Adamas 2080, and it is all I hoped for. But I have one concern I hope someone can help me with.

When I hold the guitar sideways,against a bright light, I can see a tiny separation between the heel of the neck and the body of the guitar. (About the thickness of two hairs.)

This separation doesn't extend very far, just about, maybe, 1/2 inch. Then, the rest of the neck is tight up against the body, as you would expect.

This is my fourth Ovation, and I don't recall seeing this before. I hope it isn't a warning of some kind :-)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Trader Jim
Posted 2009-03-09 9:47 PM (#424207 - in reply to #424206)
Subject: Re: Adamas neck question

I would loosen the strings and see if the neck moves independent of the body. If it's a "new" guitar, contact the factory. They will take care of it. I'm thinking that is a bolt on neck, if so, one of the bolts could be loose
standing
Posted 2009-04-04 12:47 AM (#424208 - in reply to #424206)

Originally posted by 4fingers:
Just finished trying out my new Adamas 2080, and it is all I hoped for. But I have one concern I hope someone can help me with.

When I hold the guitar sideways,against a bright light, I can see a tiny separation between the heel of the neck and the body of the guitar. (About the thickness of two hairs.)

This separation doesn't extend very far, just about, maybe, 1/2 inch. Then, the rest of the neck is tight up against the body, as you would expect.

This is my fourth Ovation, and I don't recall seeing this before. I hope it isn't a warning of some kind :-)
4fingers;

Did you resolve your concern about the "gap" between the heel and body?

I'd like to hear your (and/or others) opinions of the 2080…

How's the sound unplugged? How do you like the "Deep Contour cutaway" compared to the "traditional" Deep Bowls? I think it has a "satin urethane" neck? I prefer a glossy neck, but that wouldn't keep me from playing a 2080… ;) I've also read some messages that imply that some of you are not fans of the VIP-5 preamp? Why is that?
4fingers
Posted 2009-04-04 11:06 AM (#424209 - in reply to #424206)

Hi
I found that the tiny, tiny space between the bottom of the neck and the body did not change, with or without strings,so I am ignoring it, with no problems.

I prefer the "Ovation" sound, as opposed to , lets say, the "Martin" sound. So, my opinion is biased, but to answer your question, I find the umplugged sound to be impressive, worth the extra money I spent. And it's true that even with a blindfold, you might detect a difference in neck finish, but that cosmetic difference neither helps nor hinders my playing.

As for the preamp, my opinion is that it is like most other electronic equipment these days. There is a tendency to supply all sorts of bells and whistles that aren't used or are never quite figured out. The remote control of a modern hi-fi console is an extreme example. I find that the pre-amp is OK if you are on stage with the typical small club audio system, or in your front room. But if you are after serious recording, most of the audio tweaking and peaking will be done by the man behind the recording console, and he'll do a better job of balancing and fine tuning your sound.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)