The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Which Amp

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

flag72
Posted 2009-03-09 11:33 PM (#424104)
Subject: Which Amp

Hi all
well I have my ovation and I realy like it, the action is a little high but my luthier will take a look a it.the sound is awsome and I do like the look with it's gold hardware.
Here's my question:if I want to buy an Amp.what should i look for EX. fender junior DSP/Genz Benz/Crate. this amp need to bee loud enough to play outdoor and be able to plug a mike in it,
and make my OVATION sound real nice
again thank you Expert
Daniel :cool:
Top of the page Bottom of the page
FlySig
Posted 2009-03-10 12:09 AM (#424105 - in reply to #424104)
Subject: Re: Which Amp

Daniel, you can tweak the action yourself most likely. If you aren't comfortable with it, then do take it to a luthier. But it is easy to take out or add shims under the saddle, and adjusting the truss rod is simple but you have to go very slow with it. If the nut needs to be filed, have a pro do it.

As to what amp, that is frequently discussed here. We have a Crate 60 watt and love the sound. Genz Benz gets rave reviews on this forum. So do Bose systems. The Roland AC60 is a nice amp but not as loud as others in the same watt range. You definitely want an acoustic amp, not an electric guitar amp.

The difference in loudness between 30 watts and 60 watts isn't a lot. You may find that you need less watts than you might have guessed. Even 15 can get fairly loud. The bigger amps tend to have bigger and better speakers, plus better effects and more features. That's how we ended up with the Crate 60. But 15 can be enough for a small venue or a back yard jam. Crank up whatever amps you are testing to see how distorted they get. Some may say a certain wattage, but they start getting all distorted at only half volume.

The thing to do is take your guitar to a store and play several different brands to find the one that sounds best for your style and your guitar.

Talk to Alpep. He usually has some really nice equipment available at great prices. He won't steer you wrong.
muzza
Posted 2009-03-10 4:13 AM (#424106 - in reply to #424104)

I bought one of these but it's not arrived yet.

I'll make my own cab and put a 10" cone in it. I'll let y'all know how Jim's UKII sounds through it.
Paulcc1
Posted 2009-03-10 7:31 AM (#424107 - in reply to #424104)

Hi Daniel I have a Fender 30 it's an older one without all the effects it does very well and is more than loud enough. FlySig said it all take the guitar to the store and try them out. once you get it down to two A/B them till you find the one that's right for you.
Have fun Pauly
2ifbyC
Posted 2009-03-10 8:21 AM (#424108 - in reply to #424104)

I'm very happy with my Shen 60. For my playing, it meets all my needs +.
CrimsonLake
Posted 2009-03-10 8:44 AM (#424109 - in reply to #424104)

Ditto the Roland AC60 - perfect for what I use it for.
Captain Lovehandles
Posted 2009-03-10 8:45 AM (#424110 - in reply to #424104)

I like my Shen 60 too. That one and the Roland AC-60 are very nice. The AC-60 has fewer effects, just chorus and delay/reverb.

I've played with GNATL's Crate 30w a good bit too. The effects knob on that one doesn't click into place, so getting the right setting takes looking at the markings closely to make sure. Sounds good, though.

I use a stand like This one , although all of the above will tilt back.
ProfessorBB
Posted 2009-03-10 9:00 AM (#424111 - in reply to #424104)

Daniel, what's your price range? There's a lot available in the $250-$400 range, new and used.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)