Error encountered in: \\fs1-n02\stor2wc1dfw1\397573\426710\www.ovationfanclub.com\web\content\megabbs\templates\ovationfanclub\fragments\message.asp
Microsoft VBScript runtime error - Type mismatch
Viewing a thread - Showin Off

The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Showin Off

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

Northcountry
Posted 2009-03-09 11:36 PM (#424093)
Subject: Showin Off

OK we have a pretty good grasp of all these songs already! I am singing the YES and RUSH like the old days again and I hope it lasts.
So I know there are a lot of guy's who are into a different sort of set list but this is the product of two get togethers the first one was unprepaired. Wwe played for 4 hours and actually learned some of these on the spot, note for note. Second practice was amazing. Best band I have ever been in. We still have no drummer. Finding a Bill Bruford, Neil Peart, Phil Collins clone is tough so far.
So let me show off to the guy's who know what these songs are and let me tell you we have not even touched the Genesis yet and that will look like The Lamb Lies Down into Dance on a Volcano into the first part of The Firth of Fifth and into Squonk and end with Los Endos Jesus He knows me and Land of Confusion. A few from Zeppelin as well. Thank You, No Quarter, so far Then the new stuff Here's the classics list.
RUSH.... New World Man, Digital Man, Freewill, Limelight, and CAMERA EYE
YES...... Tempus Fugit, Does it really Happen, South Side of the Sky
King Crimson........Frame by Frame
Peter Gabriel.......Down to Earth...intro into Sledgehammer and then Big Time
Sting......If I ever Loose My Faith, She's to good for Me, St. Augustine in Hell
The Police....Syncronisity 2
Dire Straits....Money for Nothin, One World
Pink Floyd...."What do you want from me" more later.

3 doors down....It's not my Time
Top of the page Bottom of the page
edensharvest
Posted 2009-03-09 11:55 PM (#424094 - in reply to #424093)
Subject: Re: Showin Off

Nice...that last one is the ringer on my cell phone right now...lol.

If you're doing Peter Gabriel, what about "In Your Eyes?"
Hossman21
Posted 2009-03-10 12:37 AM (#424095 - in reply to #424093)

Northcountry, BANGIN song list!!! I would love to see you guys play. I used to knock off the Yes and Rush too back in the day. If you can still hit those notes then you are a better man than I. Smokin on and off for the last 20 years has taken its toll. Heck, even Geddy don't hit the highs he used to.
Squonk. There is one that will confuse the younger generation! I am envious of you. Good Luck
Northcountry
Posted 2009-03-10 2:27 AM (#424096 - in reply to #424093)

Yeah the voice is working right now, It will be a true test to make it though a whole night of this high stuff. Have not had to do that with a band for a long long time. Hell even the Pro's don't have to do 4 hours and cover 20 different styles. It is fun though, and the Peter Gabriel I want to expand I love "That Voice" and "In Your Eyes" that might get added but right now it is hard enough to keep these guys that I have brought together believeing in this music so I am only grabbing the fastest moving and hookiest ones of the stuff these bands have to offer. Also this list is from two practices, we are just getting started, and this is not a wish list but actual pieces we have close enough in this short time and like enough to set down on paper. The Floyd is the toughest for me, Most of what I want to do is concert music. Ya don't get up and dance to Shine on you Crazy Diamond, and everyone does C. Numb. Cliff could probably help me with these guy's more than anyone I know including myself. I have a duo and we are covering DOGS and Welcome to the Machine, C Numb, Hey You, Pigs on the Wing 1&2, Fearless, trying not to do Wish you were here as we have each played this for at least 25 years now. But this project is different it is custom taylored for a few wealthy guy's who have requested this for some summer parties around the lake and they are Floyd nutz. So we can get away with almost anything. Band work is different wider audience to please so ya go for the harder driving ones with a beat they can get into. Might try Have a Cigar.
So far. The Rush and Floyd is Spot on The rest need more work than I though but the bass player has worked out Tempus Fugit so I am confident the YES will fall into place soon. I will have some footage once we get up and running with this for you guy's to critque. Would love to run into some of this bunch at a gig someday. I've been heckled before.
With this project I am realizing I need the Electrics more than the Acoustcs, but I am trying to stay acoustic as much as I can as I love the sound mix this way.

Anyway it is a piseser to get back into his again at 47, To old for it, but to young to know it I guess.
Thanks for the comments.
BT717
Posted 2009-03-10 6:05 AM (#424097 - in reply to #424093)

Whoa!!! Incredible Song list!!!!
You're 47 ha?? Just remembered the last line from Jethro Tull's song To old to Rock and Roll too young to die is:

"No, you're never too old to Rock'n'Roll if you're too young to die." So Keep rock'in!!
dobro
Posted 2009-03-10 10:07 AM (#424098 - in reply to #424093)

That's really impressive! When you get the band machine oiled and running, be sure to let us hear a clip or two. Hey, I'll bring my Zoom H4 to gigs, set it on MP3 and let 'er run for a few hours. Yeah, it's rough but cool to have playback in the morning!

BTW: Jeff and I have arrnaged "Mood for a Day" as a question-and-answer duet. It works REALLY well that way (for a quiet interlude)
CrimsonLake
Posted 2009-03-10 10:17 AM (#424099 - in reply to #424093)

Originally posted by dobro:
BTW: Jeff and I have arrnaged "Mood for a Day" as a question-and-answer duet. It works REALLY well that way (for a quiet interlude)
I would love to hear that.
Northcountry
Posted 2009-03-10 10:21 AM (#424100 - in reply to #424093)

BT...From Tull, I always like liked and I and my Partner play "Thin Ice" I love the lyrics and the message. Could be the theme of a generation and that song is all but forgotten.

"You didn't stand a chance......son......if your pants were undone"

Dobro, I was wondering what technology there is to help my keyboardist. Any of you guy's ? Temp ?? I know they make things that will sample sounds and you can load them into these new keyboards to get the correct sounds or sound effects. ? I'll buy one for this guy to use if I can swing it. We are dinosaurs playing dinosaur music the hard way (old school)so any advantage I can give these guy's or myself I will take. By the way Mood for a Day is a great little piece, I know most of it, not sure whay I never finished it. Can't play "The Clap" never could, that is still my nemesis. Steve Howe is one of those guitarists that ya just can't copy on a regular basis he has a style unlike anyone else. Love his stuff, and I'd love to hear you guy's as well.

I think we are going to need a sound man too, it is getting complicated and volumes are different for each song. And you know how it goes. When one guy does not turn down everyone else turns up. By the end of the night it is so loud the speakers are clipping no one can hear what they are playing and musically it falls apart. Fortunately the audience does not know because they are usually smashed by then.
dobro
Posted 2009-03-10 10:36 AM (#424101 - in reply to #424093)

I'll record "Mood" at our next gig for ya!

Have you heard of the "Memotron"? It was demoed at a recent NAMM: It's a digital version of the Mellotron, so you'd be able to reproduce the signature Wakeman passages from Close to the Edge, for example.

Our drummer, Joe (a great guy), also plays keys, collects equipment and is a huge ELP-Zappa fan. Why not shoot him an email and say that "Greg directed you to him":

dejohns5@comcast.net

Posted 2009-03-10 4:04 PM (#424102 - in reply to #424093)
dobro
Posted 2009-03-10 4:16 PM (#424103 - in reply to #424093)

I see on the local Chicago Craigslist how many bands seek "drummers with skills": Must not be thick on the ground, those guys.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)