Error encountered in: \\fs1-n02\stor2wc1dfw1\397573\426710\www.ovationfanclub.com\web\content\megabbs\templates\ovationfanclub\fragments\message.asp
Microsoft VBScript runtime error - Type mismatch
Viewing a thread - Would you buy an old Ovation

The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Would you buy an old Ovation

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

flag72
Posted 2009-03-16 9:57 AM (#422989)
Subject: Would you buy an old Ovation

Hi guy's
my question.in my search to buy another Ovation im looking for a legend model. Ive come across some old guitar's from early 80's and 90's would this be a good buy, is there some special stuff to look for(model that would crack etc.etc.)I would like something old and solid naturel color also.Ive seen some for sale on e-bay but youre help and expertise will help me out in my search for another Ovation :D
any year's better than other??? ;)
Thank's
Daniel
Top of the page Bottom of the page
G8r
Posted 2009-03-16 10:34 AM (#422990 - in reply to #422989)
Subject: Re: Would you buy an old Ovation

Late 70's to early 80's Legend (1617) or Custom Legend (1619). Deep bowl, AAA-spruce top, A-braced, monster tone and volume. Had a 1617, sold it to get a 1619 because I like the bling. These guitars epitomize (to me) the classic Ovation from that era. And these days you can get a 1617 in v. good to excellent condition stupid cheap.
twistedlim
Posted 2009-03-16 10:40 AM (#422991 - in reply to #422989)

I would not on ebay, but I would buy here on OFC in a heart beat. It seems there a lot of pawn brokers and folks who really don'ty know too much about the guitar they are selling on ebay. Craigslistis a possibility also as you can go look at the guitar your self. To me there are too many variables, warped neck, cracks that go through the surface although they appear not to, bad tuning machines, fret wear, etc. I looked at a custom legend on craigs list that looked perfect in the photos. One owner who hardly ever played it. It was really nice but the neck had a double bow to it that meant neck reset which is not cheap.
G8r
Posted 2009-03-16 11:25 AM (#422992 - in reply to #422989)

Originally posted by twistedlim:
I would not on ebay, but I would buy here on OFC in a heart beat.
I disagree with the first, but strongly agree with the second. You're best bet is to buy from an established member here. I've done that (and sold here as well) with no hesitation, and have been more than satisfied.

But I've also gotten a number of very good guitars off eBay and CraigsList. The CL ones don't count in this context, since I examined them in person. I only had one bad experience with an eBay guitar, and that was resolved to my benefit thru their (and PayPal's) dispute resolution system.

Yes, it's true that you can't be 100% certain that the guitar will arrive as represented, but you can be better than 90% sure if you do your homework and ask plenty of questions of the seller, including requesting many more photos than are in the listing. If you don't get a good feeling about the seller (look especially at feedback and selling history), or if the seller doesn't respond to your satisfaction, no one forces you to go thru with a bid.
edensharvest
Posted 2009-03-16 11:41 AM (#422993 - in reply to #422989)

Would, have, and will again! ;)

You just have to find what you like and watch for one to come up for sale somewhere. True comments, pay attention to where and who you're buying it from, and try to find a reputable seller (right here is a great spot). I've owned literally dozens of older Ovations, some practically mint, some a little worn, but I would most definitely recommend going vintage with respect to Ovation guitars. Some of the most incredible sounding instruments can be had for a steal and are 25+ years old.
fillhixx
Posted 2009-03-16 12:02 PM (#422994 - in reply to #422989)

Bought a 12 string from a member here. IT was from the Bottom Feeders Luthier Guild, so less than perfect, but arrived as advertised in a great case!

I play for the sound, not the looks. So it makes no difference to me.

I could recommend the same practice to anyone.
Gallerinski
Posted 2009-03-16 12:17 PM (#422995 - in reply to #422989)

Buy the 1651 that JGreger is selling right now on this forum.
BT717
Posted 2009-03-16 12:47 PM (#422996 - in reply to #422989)

I have 2 guitars( 1 each 70's & 80's) right now I bought used off of C.L. Paid very little for what I've been told they are worth and the great tone/volume that comes from them. I think the older deep bowls ARE the best!!
Captain Lovehandles
Posted 2009-03-16 12:48 PM (#422997 - in reply to #422989)

Dan, if you buy something from somebody on the OFC who's well known by the group, you can pretty much buy with confidence and know you're getting a fair price. That's a big blanket statement, but it holds true more often than not.

I've bought 4 used Ovations and 2 new ones, and all but one were from OFC members. If I were buying a guitar, the first thing I'd look to do is get a used one.
2ifbyC
Posted 2009-03-16 1:48 PM (#422998 - in reply to #422989)

Since you're looking for a Legend, I won't feel guilty for 'plugging', so...

I have a 30 year old 1118 I purchased through Craigslist that is in excellent condition. Yes, it's now for sale. So you can find some beauts for a reasonable price.

But my point is to reinforce Serge's comments, especially his last paragraph.

Good hunting...
ProfessorBB
Posted 2009-03-16 1:57 PM (#422999 - in reply to #422989)

Originally posted by Gallerinski:
Buy the 1651 that JGreger is selling right now on this forum.
Totally agreed. I buy lots of new and old from eBay and members, and will likely continue to do so in the future. The Legend Ltd 1651 is a particular favorite of mine. I bought one new in 1981 and used it exclusively for 20 years. There are lots of memories in this model. I asked my son if he could pick just one thing out of the bandroom what would he want. This is the one he chose because he said he grew up listening to me play it and he thinks it sounds as good as anything else I own. He was one year old when I bought it.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2009-03-16 2:10 PM (#423000 - in reply to #422989)

Most of my guitars Are Old Ovations. :eek: :D

[and they were old when I got them]

Posted 2009-03-16 2:29 PM (#423001 - in reply to #422989)
Trader Jim
Posted 2009-03-16 3:15 PM (#423002 - in reply to #422989)

I've bought and sold a few :rolleyes: on this site as well as Ebay. I would not hesitate buying from an established member here (that is, not a drive by with 1 post). Ebay is a crap shoot most of the time, you can get a VERY nice guitar for a great price, or you can get a real POS and spend good money doing it. I think G8r can chime in on that. He had a bad experience with a Legend (I think) a while back from the bay. I actually prefer the older ones to the newer ones, with the exception of the reissues. The Balladeer and Josh really surprised me. New with the old feel.
twistedlim
Posted 2009-03-16 3:24 PM (#423003 - in reply to #422989)

I guess maybe I was too harsh on EBAy. The only reason I would avoid is the experience I had on craigslist where the seller had beautiful photos of a nice looking guitar. He said it played great and the action as perfect. The fret height at 12 was over 1/4 inch and the neck had a double bow. It looked like trouble to me but based on his description and the photos it looked like a winner. To his defense though he had another guitar, some cheap off brand called "Taylor". The action on that was just about as high and it did not bother him in the least. I guess I was used to my Legend action and it miles ahead of either of his guitars. I like to play them or take the word of someone I trust. Ebay away if it pleases you. Us bottom feeders cannot be too picky after all. :)
G8r
Posted 2009-03-16 3:55 PM (#423004 - in reply to #422989)

Originally posted by Trader Jim:
Ebay is a crap shoot most of the time, you can get a VERY nice guitar for a great price, or you can get a real POS and spend good money doing it. I think G8r can chime in on that. He had a bad experience with a Legend (I think) a while back from the bay.
Yep - was a Custom Legend, actually. That was the only one of 12 guitars I've gotten off eBay that was misrepresented, and why I said "better than 90% sure if you do your homework and ask plenty of questions". To eBay's credit, they did refund my money. Which is why I'll always use PayPal for eBay transactions even though i hate[/] the whole PayPal scam they have going.
Oddball
Posted 2009-03-16 4:02 PM (#423005 - in reply to #422989)

Only a few things I can add to this excellent advice:

* eBay is a bit more a gamble than other purchasing methods. However, in 6-7 guitar purchases over the years, I've only had one that I felt could have been misrepresented (playable, but needed a neck reset). More amusingly, I once scored a beautiful old Balladeer that — as the seller claimed — appeared NEVER to have been played. Not even any pick scuffing and even the HSC was primo. However, that guitar absolutely reeked of cigarette smoke. After the first inspection, my wife wouldn't even let me open the case inside the house! I had to set it and the case out in the wind (in the shade) for days before the smell abated. But it never did go away. Seems like it had actually permeated the wood.
* Three purchase from Craigslist — all terrific.
* One purchase from this forum — again, terrific. Lusty Red is still my daily 'player' (Thanks Capt. LH!)
* Older guitars of almost any brand often sound better than new ones of the same model because the wood (top wood in Ovations) has 'opened up'.
* Although the new pickup preamps look nifty, the old 'square' ones work fine.
* Despite many many auctions and ads that claim otherwise, top cracks are NOT a foregone conclusion on Ovation guitars. I have a 1971 Ovation that's been halfway around the world with me and has yet to show any finish or wood cracks.
* If there are any glitches with the Legend you finally end up with, you can always send it to the Mothership (factory) and the magicians there will make it like new again.
ladylaw
Posted 2009-03-16 4:40 PM (#423006 - in reply to #422989)

The older the better as long as I can check it out. I like to fix them up. But I can do anything like neck work or big repairs.
Anita
flag72
Posted 2009-03-17 12:04 AM (#423007 - in reply to #422989)

O.K. now how can I get on craigslist can somebody
explain to me what is craigslist, is it similar to E-BAY and how can I find guitar over there
again thank you
Daniel
2ifbyC
Posted 2009-03-17 12:39 AM (#423008 - in reply to #422989)

Dan,

Use 'search' and you'll find some hints that I wish no one knew about... ;)
GlennAllenHessSr
Posted 2009-03-17 12:39 AM (#423009 - in reply to #422989)

I have been very lucky on the bay.. got 2 of the Sambora'd flame top ssb's made for guitar center dirt cheap... 50 guitar run..

I got 1768 Elite that turned out to be a Nakao on the bay once... wrong pictures in the listing, but described with the bling.. so I took a chance..

would have been happy with the guitar pictured, was ecstatic when I opened the case... was the 2nd Nakao I've owned.

same thing with the Gatlin..which was a 1 off.. was worth the neck re-set... actually re-attachment even tho when talking with mother they weren't sure it could be fixed...

as usual, they worked their magic.

only had one bad experience and not the bay's fault... sent a very vintage Legend that I bought off the bay to mother.. and was supposed to be a partial trade for a GC 12 reissue when repaired... from a one who no longer is here... told me the guitar was toast,... I told him to pass it on.. he wasn't exactly honest about passing it on, and the guitar did get fixed.

Glenn
Joe Rotax
Posted 2009-03-17 1:23 AM (#423010 - in reply to #422989)

I'd be more inclined to buy an old one as long as it's really good. I'd like to get one of the 1960s Balladeers sometime. I'm not much interested in the new ones.
BT717
Posted 2009-03-17 6:46 AM (#423011 - in reply to #422989)

You can just "google Craigslist or here you go.

http://montreal.en.craigslist.ca/
flag72
Posted 2009-03-17 8:48 AM (#423012 - in reply to #422989)

well for me ive been lucky with the Bay,ive bought 5 guitar's,and all of them where as discribe but you no me,I ask many question and if seller decline to answer any of them well thas it for that one.my luck for an older legend as been hard but im still looking,there's no hurry I have a great Ovation Elite that i love to play.
Daniel :D
seesquare
Posted 2009-03-17 11:18 PM (#423013 - in reply to #422989)

I've never bought a new one, so I guess the answer is "yes". Had some that were freight-damaged, as unplayed, but that probably doesn't count.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)