The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
The "Critics" say THIS about Taylor...

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

MusicMishka
Posted 2009-03-19 5:10 PM (#422454 - in reply to #422429)
Subject: Re: The "Critics" say THIS about Taylor...

I have to admit, I have never played one of the lower line myself...I also understand what Allison said about them sounding stiff or dry...I think woods have a lot to do with that...I think you'll find that across the board with most makes...some Ovations just don't have a stellar sound but to my ear many do...again it all boils down to what floats your boat...for me, it's nice to have a pallet of fine tools...
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Guitarzannie
Posted 2009-03-19 6:33 PM (#422455 - in reply to #422429)

Aloha Lanaki!

I'm pretty sure that it was a Big Baby that I tried. At least that is what I remember. It was definitely a Taylor and I was definitely surprised that the sound wasn't that great. Neither was the low end Martin, which was on sale for $1,000.00.

Michelle
BT717
Posted 2009-03-19 6:39 PM (#422456 - in reply to #422429)

MusicMishka said "BUT, I am so sick of hearing "guitarists" put down other "guitarists" just because of the brand of guitar they own or choose...give me a break (or not...I really don't care)...

Well said Mike!!! +1!!!
Darkbar
Posted 2009-03-19 6:40 PM (#422457 - in reply to #422429)

Of course, Taylor is the cover story of current month's Acoustic Guitar magazine. The message seems to be that, due to superior technology in the manufacturing process, that they can sell a better guitar for less money than anyone else.?
MusicMishka
Posted 2009-03-19 6:59 PM (#422458 - in reply to #422429)

It's Acoustic Guitar...I'd expect that from them...but talk to anyone who played 6-7 nights per week for years on end (like me) and ask them which guitars they relyed on...My answer would be Ovation...night after night they kept on singing and sounding great...
Yes, Taylor has great technology: mine are truly nice guitars...but better for less than anyone? Hmmm, I just can't quite go there...I have some wonderful vintage Ovations that sound just great...Right now, IMHO, Ovations (vintage ones) can be the most cost effective and best sounding purchase one can make...
gulfcoast
Posted 2009-03-19 7:10 PM (#422459 - in reply to #422429)

I have owned a baby and a,710,710CE,714,614CE,610,410,710L9,415CE,314CE and am sure i`m leaving a couple out. I tend to like the 3 and 4 series about as well as the higher end ones. You can find 710 and 714s going for about what a used D28 martin would cost.You can get a used 310CE today over at the AGF for around $750.00. I traded my 614CE even at MS music for a brand new Martin 12 fret D18VS sunburst. That will give you am idea of what a store thinks of the Taylor resale. BTW i only gave $1300.00 for the 614CE mint but used. You can find deals on Taylors just like you can any other guitar out there.
Posted 2009-03-19 11:29 PM (#422460 - in reply to #422429)

I have owned Gibsons, Guilds, Fenders and Taylors - I just bought another Ovation. They just seam to fit ergonomically and sonically. I have played 3 Taylors that I would buy, and one that I did - 1998 k22 all Koa - I think one of the finest Taylors of all time. Black Doyle Dykes, and an 814ce. Will a high end clunker of today age into a fine relic in the future. I don't know. But all my faves have been used instruments except for the 1617 that I bought new and still have. Play on.
Gallerinski
Posted 2009-03-20 12:04 AM (#422461 - in reply to #422429)

Really not fair to lump all guitars of a single brand into one statement like "Taylor sucks, Ovation sucks, Martin sucks etc." There are lemons and there are cherries in pretty much any major guitar line. So better off to speak of specific models, then just generic brand names. If I was going to buy a Taylor, it would definately be the Big Baby.
flag72
Posted 2009-03-20 12:16 AM (#422462 - in reply to #422429)

Here's my 2 cent's
Here in Montreal whe have a musique store call
steve's musique(now remember im not a pro player)
but my hear is very good, at that store I tried the same day a Gibson J185 a seagull and a Taylor, then the sale's personne ask me if I new about a guitar made near Montreal call Boucher(google boucherguitare)to no more about this guitar.this guitar amaze me it's the only guitar Ive playe'd with medium that fealt like extra light the sound unplug was AWWWWWWmazing.and plug in well more amazing it add a 2 pre-amp
set-up wich sounde'd so sweet. but it's a 2795.00$ guitar to expensive for me. and it's hand made very low production the one i tries was# 182 but like i said an awsome guitar.I now owned a Ovation Elite 1778LX play's very well look's awsome and sound's great. for me I don't need a mega $$$$ guitar my Ovation suite's me find. and im going to buy a vintage Legend when i find one.
so there you GO taylor fan's
Daniel
:D :D
moody, p.i.
Posted 2009-03-20 2:40 PM (#422463 - in reply to #422429)

Originally posted by Gallerinski:
Really not fair to lump all guitars of a single brand into one statement like "Taylor sucks, Ovation sucks, Martin sucks etc." There are lemons and there are cherries in pretty much any major guitar line. So better off to speak of specific models, then just generic brand names. If I was going to buy a Taylor, it would definately be the Big Baby.
Taylor's suck....
BT717
Posted 2009-03-20 3:43 PM (#422464 - in reply to #422429)

Originally posted by moody, p.i.:
Originally posted by Gallerinski:
Taylor's suck....
So what Exactly do you mean?
:rolleyes: ;)
twistedlim
Posted 2009-03-20 4:09 PM (#422465 - in reply to #422429)

Originally posted by Guitarzannie:
Aloha Lanaki!

I'm pretty sure that it was a Big Baby that I tried. At least that is what I remember. It was definitely a Taylor and I was definitely surprised that the sound wasn't that great. Neither was the low end Martin, which was on sale for $1,000.00.

Michelle
Michelle,
If you get a chance pick up a Blueridge BR-40 or BR-43. They have the same laminate bodies as the bottome Taylor but I am much more impressed with the sound and action of the Blueridge. And... at under $400.00 you can buy two! I can't afford thousands of dollars for a guitar but if I had a grand to spend on a wood guitar it would be the Blueridge and I would pocket the rest.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2009-03-20 6:19 PM (#422466 - in reply to #422429)

OK! I've tried to be Patient, But I have waited long Enough!

[I'm Sorry... I'm just like a kid who finds a spray-paint can. Eventually I've gotta use it! :D ]
FlySig
Posted 2009-03-20 6:22 PM (#422467 - in reply to #422429)

Originally posted by flag72:

but it's a 2795.00$ guitar to expensive for me. and it's hand made very low production the one i tries was# 182 but like i said an awsome guitar.I now owned a Ovation Elite 1778LX play's very well look's awsome and sound's great.
That's the issue. Any guitar of any brand that costs more than $2000 should be a very nice guitar. It should sound great, and be a joy to play. It should also have very nice materials and excellent quality build.

But down in the more affordable range for the average Joe, maybe around $1000, that is where a larger number of buyers are. I do see a lot of Taylors out there in the hands of amateurs who are playing acoustic shows or play in church bands.

I do think that Ovation offers a superior product in this price range. But a lot of people like Taylor guitars in that range. It's interesting to hear what people here think of them. Generally it seems that people find them overpriced for what they offer.
fillhixx
Posted 2009-03-21 4:40 PM (#422468 - in reply to #422429)

Who care's what critics say? By definition they'll never say anything nice, that isn't the modern concept of criticism!

I've only met/seen one Taylor so far and it didn't float my boat. But that could have been the player.

Here, I think we mainly beat on Taylors just for fun. (with one or two special exceptions.)
elginacres
Posted 2009-03-21 7:01 PM (#422469 - in reply to #422429)

I'm with Mishka...for those who played night and day after night and day - we needed instruments that sounded nice - stayed in tune and held up...for years and years ovation was the only real player at that...others have gotten a lot better in the mobile acoustic market - and some sound very good...I used a slothead and pacemaker mostly for years...but then a Kotke 12 caught my ear - and I added it to arsenal - for notes - I use the Kotke 12 - for strums I use the pacemaker...I use the slothead for grins. Sorry we're both not at Amelia this year Mike...maybe next time.
stephent28
Posted 2009-03-21 7:15 PM (#422470 - in reply to #422429)

I owned a Taylor DDSM that was absolutely the cats ass so far as Taylors go. I never heard or played one that I thought was better.

It sat in the case 99% of the time because I liked almost every other guitar in my house better.

I recently sold it because it NEVER got played.
PEZ
Posted 2009-03-21 10:01 PM (#422471 - in reply to #422429)

Taylors can be nice guitars but to my ear they bland
sounding and way over priced.

I was was at AA kinda open mic.

(not an addict myself but go from time to time
with people I know in recovery)

Some guy showed up this a dead battery in his guitar
I let him barrow my T-Bolt.

So I heard
Martin HD-28 w/fishman
My Thunderbolt OP-24
Taylor 900 with Exppression system.

In terms of plugged in sound.
It was pickem they all sounded great.
I paid $898.95 for the TBolt new in 1989.

In all honestly I was actually disappointed in HD-28 It sounded no different than D-28 plugged in. (I own D-28 w fishman)
The Taylor was way too much money at close to 4 grand.

People were oooin and owwin over the Taylor
before hearing it plugged in.
The same people were oooin and owwin about the T-bolt,
after the guitars playing back to back.

There were 3 other Ovations there but they were Celbs.

btw
2 weeks ago on SNL Ray Lamontagne learned a rough lesson. Starts playing his Martin and NO sounds other than slight bleed through on the first performance.
OK we know that is bad cable or dead battery.
The next performance came up and the guitar was mic'ed. (so it was dead battery)
Obviously by the time the checked it and decided there was not enough time to get the strings off change the battery and retune in time.
Unfortunately he moves alot while playing and
the secound performance wasn't great either.
Sound was fading in and out as he moved.

In newer Ovation that would not have been an issue.

I actually felt bad for him.
I had that happen with my Martin too.
bvince
Posted 2009-03-22 7:47 AM (#422472 - in reply to #422429)

"I think we mainly beat on Taylors just for fun. (with one or two special exceptions.)" ...
Yeah mostly for fun. As has been mentioned above, There are a lot of good guitars out there from lots of different manufacturers. I was even slightly impressed after playing a few of the new "made in china" Guilds at a local Marshall Music Store.

But I must also confess that after spending an EnTIRE day at Elderly Musical Instruments in Lansing, playing about EVERY kind of "high-end" Martin, Gibson, Taylor, Breedlove, Laravee,Tak or what ever I can't remember now, I couldn't wait to get back home to my Adamas/Ovations. They truly outplayed and outsounded every other instrument I had had my hands on. And I'm not overstating anything. I must have played 50+ guitars, with some having price tags in the $20-30,000+ price range. I don't know about the rest of you, but I am EXTREMELY happy with what I have. The experience just reaffirmed that. (not to say there aren't some other O's and A's on my wish list) (:
FlySig
Posted 2009-03-22 10:07 AM (#422473 - in reply to #422429)

Originally posted by bvince:
I don't know about the rest of you, but I am EXTREMELY happy with what I have. The experience just reaffirmed that. (not to say there aren't some other O's and A's on my wish list) (:
Sometimes I feel like trailer trash around here. People have all kinds of very expensive Adamas limited edition this, rare ancient wood that. But my wood topped 2007 BCS from Al (at a bargain price) gives me that crazy smile every time I pick it up. Yeah, I love my Ovation. It meets all of my needs and more.

Sara (my 16 yr old) headlined (yay!) a show with her 1778T Red Flame. Her former band mate also played a set on her 1778LX. Those guitars sounded like a million bucks through the PA. Another performer played something I didn't recognize, and another played a Taylor. The two wood boxes sounded OK, but not alive and not full.

Maybe if I was made of money I would own lots of different guitars and would learn to appreciate all of their unique characters. Until I win the lottery, I will continue pickin' and grinnin' with the wood topped O.
bvince
Posted 2009-03-22 3:57 PM (#422474 - in reply to #422429)

Absolutely nothing wrong with Ovation wood tops, especially that 2007BCS! I'd put mine up against the best of those square-backs.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2009-03-22 4:14 PM (#422475 - in reply to #422429)

Originally posted by FlySig:
Sometimes I feel like trailer trash around here.
+1 :p :cool:
Gallerinski
Posted 2009-03-22 6:07 PM (#422476 - in reply to #422429)

Originally posted by FlySig:
Sometimes I feel like trailer trash around here.
AH! SO IT's YOU !!!! Good one.
Englishplayer
Posted 2009-03-22 6:08 PM (#422477 - in reply to #422429)

Whenever I'm in a serious buying mood, I give everything a shot. Taylors always looks great, play great, and sound to me ... like they are 200-500 overpriced. I'll always give Taylors a shot, but I haven't found that Taylor yet that makes me want to shell out the cash. Maybe next time.
I'm still loving my last buy, a Martin om-21. an excellent guitar all the way around at a very competitve price.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)