The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
The "Critics" say THIS about Taylor...

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

FlySig
Posted 2009-03-19 10:05 AM (#422429)
Subject: The "Critics" say THIS about Taylor...

OK, so for the ignorant (me), what is wrong with Taylor? Is it quality for the $? Is it the sound for the $? Is it simpleton owners that bash O's? Or is it something else?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Paul Templeman
Posted 2009-03-19 10:22 AM (#422430 - in reply to #422429)
Subject: Re: The "Critics" say THIS about Taylor...

There's a lot of wood-snobs out there who bash Ovation just because they think they should. If challenged they couldn't produce an rational argument that would stand up. You can't reason with that mentality.

With any make of guitar it's down to personal taste. There's nothing "wrong" with Taylor. They are one of the most succsesful guitar manufacturers around and their instruments are built to exceptionaly high standards with quality materials. They look great and play really nicely. I've just never heard or played a Taylor that sounded good enough for me to want to own one. Except for the Big Baby which is the best thing they make by far, if we're talking price/performace ratio
BT717
Posted 2009-03-19 10:38 AM (#422431 - in reply to #422429)

I own one. It "spoke" to me at the time I bought it. It still does,but, have become very fond of the Ovation tone.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2009-03-19 10:41 AM (#422432 - in reply to #422429)

What Temp said, but I'd add that they are too much money for what you get. A $2500 Taylor is a nice guitar that I wouldn't pay more than $1200 for.

To my ear, they sound thin.....
Patch
Posted 2009-03-19 11:05 AM (#422433 - in reply to #422429)

I like Taylors quite a lot. As many here know already, I used to own a Taylor 714-ce (Rosewood and cedar) that had a marvelous, mellow tone. I played it for over five years and sold it for about $100 less than I paid for it. You can't say they don't hold their value. Now though, I would have to be MUCH better off to justify paying for the models I like.

Still, I particularly enjoy picking up their 912-ce and the sunburst T-5 standard at the local shop and puttering around when I can. The playability of these instruments couldn't be any smoother.

The cool thing is, I took the money from that sale and purchased my 2001 Collector's with PLENTY of $$$ to spare. I then started buying/selling/trading. Over time, and with a fair slice of patience, I've managed to build my modest collection without putting any financial pressure on the family fund. It's been a great run, but it may be coming to a close soon. (I've been getting the "That's enough!" look from SWMBO.)
WCL
Posted 2009-03-19 11:05 AM (#422434 - in reply to #422429)

I agree that the only answer to this is really just personal preference. For many moons, Taylor was the only guitar I would play - until I got my Elite.

And as far as a "wood" guitar, it's the only one I will play. And it's all a combination of things. The sound, the feel, the playability. But again, it's all jus preference.
Guitarzannie
Posted 2009-03-19 11:11 AM (#422435 - in reply to #422429)

Well, I tried a Taylor Big Baby not so long ago and was very disappointed. The guitar felt like plastic and sounded very tinny.

However, I did see a gal at an open mike that had a Taylor that sounded great. I don't know what model she had, but it wasn't a Big Baby.

I am finding that you can't really judge a guitar company based on the one guitar that you try from them. FWIW, John Denver played some Taylors that a great tone to them. Each company (even Martin) has it's stinkers, although I've yet to play an Ovation that was a true stinker.

I've tried a deep bowl Applause and a shallow bowl Celebrity that I really liked, but didn't buy them because I'm still shopping for guitars.

Michelle
Losov
Posted 2009-03-19 11:58 AM (#422436 - in reply to #422429)

Well, I own several makes, I always play plugged in, and they all sound just fine. It's just a matter of what I'm in the mood for that particular day.
BT717
Posted 2009-03-19 12:07 PM (#422437 - in reply to #422429)

Something I've noticed and I'm sure many here have is that just about every guitar from each model from every major manufacturer of "wood" guitars sounds diferent. I remember I played 4 Taylor 310CE and the one I bought,atleast to my ear had the best tone which was different from the others.
Now after saying that I believe Ovation models have the most consistency within each model tone wise of ANY guitars that have Wood tops.
CanterburyStrings
Posted 2009-03-19 12:13 PM (#422438 - in reply to #422429)

I am another who was never impressed by Taylors. A good friend of mine bought one some twenty years ago, and I was flabergasted that he spent so much money for it. It didn't sound special at all to me. I have tried many Taylors since then and I still can't see what all the fuss is about. They just don't "ring". Some of them have a nice bass, but the mids and trebles sound "dry" to me. If I were going to spend that kind of money on a wood box, it would be a jumbo Gibson, or a vintage Martin.
gulfcoast
Posted 2009-03-19 12:33 PM (#422439 - in reply to #422429)

I`ve owned a bunch of Taylors and like any other guitar makers i`ve had a few that were duds. I`ve see the same thing with Martin, Ovation and alot with Gibson. Heck i`ve never played a Mcperson that did anything for me but look what they are going for. And i`ve only played one Goodall that had any life in it. The last few Taylors i owned were great guitars (dave can tell you about one of them) I have a 314CE with a 17/8 nut right now that sounds a lot like a good D18, and i`ve had some good d18s.
lanaki
Posted 2009-03-19 12:46 PM (#422440 - in reply to #422429)

aloha guitarzannie,
are you sure it was a "big" baby taylor you played and not the "baby"? having owned several taylors over the years, i only held on to the "big baby" model. as paul said, amazing value for the money. i prefer guitars and strings that sound warm. i've yet to play a warm sounding taylor and that includes their jumbo models. obviously, taylor is very successful and their guitars bring pleasure to millions of people. nuthin' wrong with that!
moody, p.i.
Posted 2009-03-19 1:27 PM (#422441 - in reply to #422429)

I don't think I've ever played a bad Larivee, Breedlove, or Guild. When you get above about $3000, you start going into Collings, Santa Cruz, and other guitars like that. They all seem wonderful.

Except for the Baby and Big Baby's, I've never played a Taylor that spoke to me.

Michelle, you need to try some American made Ovations. Huge improvement over the overseas models, and if you buy used and smart, not that much more money.....
gulfcoast
Posted 2009-03-19 2:02 PM (#422442 - in reply to #422429)

I can`t get past the crapy frets on Larrivees.
Jonmark Stone
Posted 2009-03-19 2:15 PM (#422443 - in reply to #422429)

While the workmanship is beautiful, I don't care for Larrivees.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2009-03-19 2:22 PM (#422444 - in reply to #422429)

I have nothing against Taylor. I'm just cheap. I want a lot for my money. I also don't typically follow the crowds. If anything, popularity is a negative for me.
Those are two of my characteristics that don't fit well with Taylors. The thing I like about them, and I've said this before, is that I can have 5 used Ovations with different necks, soundboards and sounds for the price of a new Taylor. SWMBO noticed that when a friend said he finally got a new guitar after 30 years and it was a Taylor. The 5 ovations I had at the time didn't cost as much and 2 sounded better, one was a nylon string and the 99 Collector looked better. I had to thank Taylor for that.
bvince
Posted 2009-03-19 2:42 PM (#422445 - in reply to #422429)

I agree with you Mark, but I wouldn't characterize you as cheap. I would say that you have a great understanding of value. In my opinion, in a dollar-for-dollar for guitar comparison, Taylors are not worth what people pay for them new.
an4340
Posted 2009-03-19 2:59 PM (#422446 - in reply to #422429)

I've played some nice taylors, but they lack soul.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2009-03-19 3:30 PM (#422447 - in reply to #422429)

I'm with bvince..

It's not that they don't make some nice guitars.

There are people that buy guitars soley based on tone, or name on the headstock, or whatever. If they can afford it, and that's their preference, so be it, good for them.

I, like many Ovation owners, look at a guitar not only for tone, playability, but bank for buck, how long it's going to last etc etc.. Total cost of ownership. We weigh all the factors.

There are a lot of companies that make nice guitars, for a lot less $'s than a Taylor. So, when I look at a $3000 Taylor, maybe it is even better than it's $2000 counterpart of a another brand... but is it really $1000 better?

I am more familiar with Electrics.. PRS makes some great guitars. But why pay for a PRS when you can have a Huber, Hamer, Carvin, or even a hand-made MCS for the same or less. If someone gave me a PRS, I'd play it. It's a fine guitar. But I'd likely sell it and have Hamer build a custom for me and use the spare change to go up to CT and pick out the wood and get some guidance for it's configuration.

Others given a PRS, would cherish it for life.
MusicMishka
Posted 2009-03-19 4:11 PM (#422448 - in reply to #422429)

I own 4 Taylor's: among the 30 guitars I own at the moment...
Two of mine are 1998 models which were pre/neck joinery...one is a Custom made 615 with Presentation Brazilian Rosewood back and sides: it is an amazing guitar...the other is a W-65 12 string w/top, back and sides made of highly figured Claro Walnut; it sounds like a Steinway Grand Piano: an awesome 12 string...
Several years ago I bought a new 810 Fall Limited with back and sides of Madagascar Rosewood...I use it in Worship nearly every Sunday...the expression system is incredible IF you know how to use it...I have heard several people who had no clue how to use it and therefore the plugged in sound of their Taylor's sounded awful...
I also have a Baby Taylor that I took to the Soviet Union in 2001 on my last Mission trip there...on four earlier trips I took Ovation Elites...before the restriction on carry on baggage and overhead size...you should have seen the Soviet airport guards in the early 90's when they saw those...I had to play a few songs right there in the Airport...lol

In addition to these fine guitars I also own 15 Ovation and Adamas guitars some of which are the top of the line and others are models I have personally played for most of my professional career...Several of the Adamas guitars cost me more than I paid for any of the Taylor Guitars...

I also own two fine Martin guitars including a 1948 D-28. 'Nuff said there...

I have several Fenders, a one off Gibson Les Paul Custom and several other vintage makes and arch tops....

My point here is all of this disclosure is not to get anyone to buy any of these guitars or Brands that I own simply because I say so or I own them...Actually, I could not care less...to each their own...

BUT, I am so sick of hearing "guitarists" put down other "guitarists" just because of the brand of guitar they own or choose...give me a break (or not...I really don't care)...

Why not just be happy for others on their choices even if it’s not what you might choose? Sure there are some guitars that don't appeal to me: I may say so but always recognize the right of others to play whatever they wish....
It makes the one putting down the other guitars look bad, and that makes all of us look bad...

Do the other forums do it? Yes, of course they do...but why respond in kind? It only makes our forum the same as them...and personally, I think we are better than that....

So, play what you can afford and enjoy it...be proud of it and make it your own...let the naysayer’s make themselves look small and of course stick up for what you like...but can't it be done in a non-invasive way and manner?

When I got started I played a Kent electric and a Sears Silvertone amp: Cheap stuff...but I wish I had them today...just for what they started in me...I had to sell what I had to get what I wanted...(sometimes I still do...lol)

Life is short: play what you want! IMHO/YMMV

BTW: this is not intended at anu individual previous poster...just an overall appeal to do the right thing...and think of others....
Jonmark Stone
Posted 2009-03-19 4:24 PM (#422449 - in reply to #422429)

Shame you have such a sparse collection Mike.
MusicMishka
Posted 2009-03-19 4:30 PM (#422450 - in reply to #422429)

I am fortunate...and my wife is a saint!
FlySig
Posted 2009-03-19 4:34 PM (#422451 - in reply to #422429)

What about Taylor's in the $800 - $1000 range. That is where many of the USA O's can be found. Is a new $1k Taylor comparable to say a $1k Breedlove, Guild, Ovation, etc? I think that many who buy Taylor guitars are in that middle dollar range that is above beginner but below extravagant. Comparing a $3k Taylor to a $1k anything isn't fair.
dobro
Posted 2009-03-19 4:53 PM (#422452 - in reply to #422429)

I've just never heard or played a Taylor that sounded good enough for me to want to own one.

What Temp said.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2009-03-19 4:57 PM (#422453 - in reply to #422429)

Originally posted by FlySig:
What about Taylor's in the $800 - $1000 range. That is where many of the USA O's can be found. Is a new $1k Taylor comparable to say a $1k Breedlove, Guild, Ovation, etc? I think that many who buy Taylor guitars are in that middle dollar range that is above beginner but below extravagant. Comparing a $3k Taylor to a $1k anything isn't fair.
I've never heard a Taylor in that range that I thought was worth the money....
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)