The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Ovation Guitars really don't get the respect they deserve!" - Alex Pepiak

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Excessive Battery use. What gives??

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

Rickk
Posted 2009-03-21 2:46 PM (#422221)
Subject: Excessive Battery use. What gives??

Good day, folks. I've got a 2007 Collectors, and I love her!

BUT.... It goes through batteries like crazy. I play amplified maybe an hour per week, max. In 10 days or so, the battery is kaput. I don't leave it plugged in -- neither the dummy jack nor the real one.

I emailed Ovation about it and all I got back was: don't leave it plugged in, and use fresh Duracells.

I've got a Legend 12 string as well and I've never had this problem.

Anybody else have this happening, and how do you solve it. I can't believe the pre-amp is supposed to suck power like that.

Thanks. Rick
Top of the page Bottom of the page
FlySig
Posted 2009-03-21 3:26 PM (#422222 - in reply to #422221)
Subject: Re: Excessive Battery use. What gives??

The XLR output can be tricked into thinking something is plugged in when it isn't. If you place your hand over the XLR jack you might see the display flicker on the preamp.

It is only my theory, but possibly this is the cause of your problem. Maybe the fuzz in the case is touching the jack and letting some current drain.

Some folks love the VIP preamp. It didn't turn me on so I replaced it with an OpPro Studio in my 2007 Collectors. No more flickering of the display, and no battery drainage problems.
dweezil
Posted 2009-03-21 4:09 PM (#422223 - in reply to #422221)

What FlySig said, I also replaced the VIP in my 07 Collector with a OP PRO STUDIO and haven't looked back.

I would also like to take this opportunity to say this;

The 07C is a ***KILLER***, I ***LOVE*** it!
FlySig
Posted 2009-03-21 4:38 PM (#422224 - in reply to #422221)

What is the best wood topped Ovation ever? The 2007BCS. How do you make it better? Put in an OpPro Studio.
AlanM
Posted 2009-03-22 8:03 AM (#422225 - in reply to #422221)

Two things...

(1) I've noticed the same thing on my Adamas 2080

and...

(2) How's about this one? Is it worth a grand?
dweezil
Posted 2009-03-22 8:18 AM (#422226 - in reply to #422221)

Yup, though I've seen 2nd hand ones slightly cheaper
FlySig
Posted 2009-03-22 9:51 AM (#422227 - in reply to #422221)

That's an FRG without a case. FRG simply means it has a 5 yr warranty rather than the lifetime warranty. It may mean the guitar was reworked in the factory, it may have been a customer return, or it may simply mean that the factory wants to get rid of overstock without killing their ability to price new guitars.

Al sold a bunch of FRG 2007 Collectors last summer. I got one and there is nothing wrong with it. FRG doesn't mean blem or damaged. It is fully up to spec and meets all inspection criteria.

Anyhow, the one you linked to if you toss in the nice plush case that should come with it, which would be maybe $125, the total would be about $1125. That price is still better than the street price when they first came out.

For about $750 there have been several sold used "mint". Including case, but no warranty. So the question is whether the 5 yr warranty is worth $375.

Before you dive into this one, call Al. His pricing is better than BrotherBobbyG. Maybe Al still has one left.
Chuck (Retired Navy)
Posted 2009-03-22 3:34 PM (#422228 - in reply to #422221)

Rick, does the guitar have a standard 1/4 inch jack? I had the same problem on my Balladeer, turns out the 1/4 inch jack had a contact bent so that it kept it turned on all the time and would run the battery down quickly.
AlanM
Posted 2009-03-22 7:53 PM (#422229 - in reply to #422221)

Originally posted by FlySig:
That's an FRG without a case. FRG simply means it has a 5 yr warranty rather than the lifetime warranty. It may mean the guitar was reworked in the factory, it may have been a customer return, or it may simply mean that the factory wants to get rid of overstock without killing their ability to price new guitars.

Al sold a bunch of FRG 2007 Collectors last summer. I got one and there is nothing wrong with it. FRG doesn't mean blem or damaged. It is fully up to spec and meets all inspection criteria.

Anyhow, the one you linked to if you toss in the nice plush case that should come with it, which would be maybe $125, the total would be about $1125. That price is still better than the street price when they first came out.

For about $750 there have been several sold used "mint". Including case, but no warranty. So the question is whether the 5 yr warranty is worth $375.

Before you dive into this one, call Al. His pricing is better than BrotherBobbyG. Maybe Al still has one left.
Thanks, FlySig! I had to look through all the prose TWICE before I found the FRG part! Left kind of a sour taste...

And -- Chuck -- Thank YOU for getting the thread back on track!
Rickk
Posted 2009-03-28 8:47 PM (#422230 - in reply to #422221)

Originally posted by Chuck (Retired Navy):
Rick, does the guitar have a standard 1/4 inch jack? I had the same problem on my Balladeer, turns out the 1/4 inch jack had a contact bent so that it kept it turned on all the time and would run the battery down quickly.
Yah, she does. I'm going to try insulating the xlr plug contacts better and see if that helps. If not, I'll look at the 1/4 inch jack. I want to be systematic -- one at a time solutions to see which one it is. Thanks for the imput.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)