The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Condition of Used (online) Guitars you have received?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

Old Man Arthur
Posted 2009-03-21 9:58 PM (#422168)
Subject: Condition of Used (online) Guitars you have received?

So, What is the funkiest guitar you have ever received in an online deal?

I just received a used 2003 issue guitar... (Non-O... BC Rich Body Art Warlock)
I don't think that the previous owner understood that you really need to Clean Your Guitar occasionally.
People have mentioned using WD-40 to clean a fretboard, but I had never done this. Until NOW!
There was sincerely Green stuff by the fret-wires.
They were layers of stuff that I could scrape with my fingernails.
And the strings were rusty.

I did plug-it-in and make sure that it worked before I took it apart to clean it.
But I had to do alot of work on this thing. And I ain't done.
Right now I am letting the oil sink in and the water evaporate from the tune-o-matic bridge that was also caked with crud!

I don't believe that I got it from the original owner... Just another junk reseller.
So I can understand that they didn't change the strings or nuthin'...

So what kind of surprise disasters have you received?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
lanaki
Posted 2009-03-21 10:03 PM (#422169 - in reply to #422168)
Subject: Re: Condition of Used (online) Guitars you have received?

nary a one. thus far...
MusicMishka
Posted 2009-03-21 10:20 PM (#422170 - in reply to #422168)

Easy mistake...somebody mistook it for a Taylor...
gh1
Posted 2009-03-21 10:25 PM (#422171 - in reply to #422168)

I bought a guitar recently from a guy in Minnesota. I knew it was beat to shit -- honest player wear, which doesn't bother me. Anyway, it shipped from Minnesota in the freaking dead of winter and arrived with a cracked top.

I'm sure it was the stress of the transit and the extreme conditions of the shipping environment. It still sounds spectacular, and i never brought it to the previous owners attention.

But that's the worse case i've encountered.

_____
gh1
seesquare
Posted 2009-03-22 12:16 AM (#422172 - in reply to #422168)

As a founding member of the BFLG, its part of the adventure. Missing pegheads, lifted bridges, cracked tops, shot electronics, loose braces, bulletholes (no kidding!), just about you-name-it.
Now, as for critters that were supposed to be in playable & serviceable condition, I have not had many surprises, other than bozos who have put steel strings on nylon-string Ovations. Now, that's almost enough to jeopardize the premeditation defense.
MWoody
Posted 2009-03-22 12:33 AM (#422173 - in reply to #422168)

I'm just worried someone's going to mention a guitar they got from me in this thread!

The only negatives I've had were due to the Handlers - all three.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2009-03-22 2:10 AM (#422174 - in reply to #422168)

I feel left out. I've probably received more guitars than just about anyone, almost all bought online, and all received in expected condition, usually mint. Those that weren't mint, were what I expected. Nothing more, nothing less.

Of course now that I have posted this claim I can't wait to see what the next one will show up looking like :(
Gallerinski
Posted 2009-03-22 4:27 AM (#422175 - in reply to #422168)

I've never had a problem with an online purchase, new or used, that could not be resolved to mutual satisfaction of the buyer and selled. One misrepresented item and a non cooperative seller, PayPal stepped in and made it right.
bauerhillboy
Posted 2009-03-22 7:12 AM (#422176 - in reply to #422168)

I bought a Pacemaker from a woman over Ebay for $300. Through her recent divorce, she had acquired several of her ex-husband's guitars and was selling them off. She knew little about guitars and described mine as "beautiful".

Several braces were loose, the top seam was cracked, the top was bellied and the bridge was turning badly. To make the guitar more playable, someone had shaved down the bridge to about half its original thickness so they could reduce the saddle height.

I gave it to a friend of mine who owns a music store and does amazing work on instruments. He kept it for A YEAR! All issues were taken care of...including a Bridge Dr. installed. He charged me NOTHING. I installed an OpPro and it's now my main guitar.

Could have been really bad, but a very happy ending!

John <>{
AlanM
Posted 2009-03-22 7:54 AM (#422177 - in reply to #422168)

All ten or so have been as advertised.
bgm2000
Posted 2009-03-22 9:50 AM (#422178 - in reply to #422168)

My 1537 came with a big through wood crack. Oh well, I got to be introduced to the fantastic work done by the factory. They repaired the crack, refinished the top and neck, did a fret job, and tested and fixed the electronics. It made a bargain turned nightmare into a not so bargain wonderful guitar. My 1769 came with a crack as advertised - another trip to the factory + new bowl and top = brand new/old custom legend for hundreds less than a new one. The UTE from Patch was BETTER than advertised.
MusicMishka
Posted 2009-03-22 3:29 PM (#422179 - in reply to #422168)

Fortunatly, I have not had a problem...I have mamy ebay purchases and so far so good...I have two craigs list purchases (the Patriot amd the '78 Adamas I) and again, no problems...I always try to talk to the seller first...

Now I did buy this from ebay on purpose for $100:

And after a trip to the Mopthership ended up with this:

Priceless!
ScottMt
Posted 2009-03-22 3:36 PM (#422180 - in reply to #422168)

Guitar was fine but a cat had peed in the case ... and yes there are some things that even Axe struggles to cover up.
MusicMishka
Posted 2009-03-22 3:39 PM (#422181 - in reply to #422168)

Actually my 1688 did arrive from another member w/a crack in the back (pretty sure it was caused by Brown mishandling the package) but the member paid for the guitar to go to Mothership and paid for the repair...now that was a class act and very much appreciated!
Also Damon and I had the unfortunate Parcel Post incedent w/the Tak...it was insured and after payment, I was able to get the Book Elite from Dave...Damon got a great TBolt Snake and other than the loss of a fine Tak, all's well that ended well there... Damon is a class act too!...
fillhixx
Posted 2009-03-22 10:31 PM (#422182 - in reply to #422168)

Never won an Ebay auction yet...and I'm not holding my breath.

Bought one guitar here from a member in good standing (I'll have to presume) of the BFLG. It arrived as advertised, not that pretty close up but sounding great, and I couldn't be happier.

Though I discovered I don't care for 'outie' eppaulettes...they catch my flailing fingers.
Patch
Posted 2009-03-23 10:59 AM (#422183 - in reply to #422168)

I've done enough trading now to realize sometimes you get the bear, sometimes it gets you.

I've had to take a loss on rare occasions because the shipping companies have the insurance (such as it is) policies written to their benefit, not yours. Out of six damaged instruments (3 coming, 3 going) I've been paid on one claim. On the ones I shipped, I gave the recipient the choice of following up on the claim or returning the instrument for a refund. The one who did keep it luckily was the one who's claim went through OK...SLOWLY...but OK. I took a loss on the other two.

Of the three that I received, I sent one back for a refund, sold one on CL (so the buyer could inspect it carefully), and am in the claims process with the other because it's rare and I'm loathe to let it go.

Still, overall I've done remarkably well. I don't think there are many who have moved as many guitars as I have in the last 4 years, so complications are to be expected. At the moment, I've come to prefer the USPS because they are the only ones who have ever come through on a claim at all.

But whatever else happens, thus far it's been WAY more pleasing than irritating to get my hands on so many great instruments. I mean REALLY! Is this fun or what?!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)