The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
My guitar shopping experience yesterday

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Members Forums -> General PostingMessage format

BT717
Posted 2009-03-25 12:26 PM (#421919 - in reply to #421894)
Subject: Re: My guitar shopping experience yesterday

Originally posted by MusicMishka:
I would love to see the results of a "blindfold" survey done taking the top 5 brand guitars (mid to upper level)and an Ovation Legend or Elite played by the same guitarist,same style/song, plugged in and unplugged and see what the results are in terms of best sound. I would bet the "O" would be one of the top 2 if not #1!!!
Been there done that...HERE:

Test Results

And here:

Winners

And here:

Original test and rules (sound bytes no longer work)

The Contest ran over two weeks and there were some surprises....I'd like to do it again since I've gotten some great new Ovations and several Adami since then...the Book Elite would win it hands down and the Patriot would do nicely as well I think...I'd also like to do a 12 string comparison since I have at least 6 of four different makes...

It was fun!
Not Exactly what I said as there were a few
"Players" BUT close enough as the Ovation apears to of been the winner!!!
:D :D :D
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jim A
Posted 2009-03-27 10:22 AM (#421920 - in reply to #421894)

Experience of a New Guitar Shopper!

Like many new players I went to Guitar Center to look around. I've wanted an Ovation for sometime based on advice from my brother who's been playing since third grade. I saw and played lots of Asian Celebrity models with very pretty finishes but learned a bit about construction; laminate verses solid tops, electronics and tone quality, thanks to my brother. Just didn't see any USA models, they'd need to be a special order.

I got smart and visited a local music shop and quickly saw the difference and quality of a US made model...remember I'm a newbie and learning more each day. The value of a knowledgible sales person is invaluable. He was patient and asked the right questions ultimatly directing me to a slightly used and beautiful Balladeer in my price range and I've never looked back. Looking back on the time spent at Guitar Center and the experience at the local music shop was enlightening. I got a hell of an education listening to the local pros.
fillhixx
Posted 2009-03-27 12:16 PM (#421921 - in reply to #421894)

Originally posted by Guitarzannie:
The young girl at GC said that she was more of a Takamine girl, but didn't trash the Ovations and try to talk me into something more expensive. She just said that the ones she has tried weren't for her, but that people have to go with what makes them happy.
Just pointing this out to resident grumps who says todays kids are lousy salespeople. I think that's pretty good and honest representation! SO the good ones are out there, they just don't stick in your craw like the bad ones and you forget....
Gallerinski
Posted 2009-03-27 12:45 PM (#421922 - in reply to #421894)

Originally posted by Guitarzannie:
The young girl at GC said that she was more of a Takamine girl
Boy, THERE's an opening. I would have immeduately taken her home to meet my mother.

Toby
bvince
Posted 2009-03-27 1:45 PM (#421923 - in reply to #421894)

I would love to see the results of a "blindfold" survey done taking the top 5 brand guitars (mid to upper level)and an Ovation Legend or Elite played by the same guitarist,same style/song, plugged in and unplugged and see what the results are in terms of best sound. I would bet the "O" would be one of the top 2 if not #1!!!

What a GREAT idea! I think this would be an excellent marketing opportunity for Kaman if it were done on a larger/creative scale, i.e., Post a full-page challenge to all major guitar manufacturers in a magazine like Acoustic Guitar Player, for a "play off" at the NAMM Show. Invite them to put up their best acoustic models by price category, have a top-notch player play the same tune on each instrument, with a panel of blindfolded judges that are not necessarily expert guitar players.(that way they wont be biased by their current guitar sound) I think the results could prove to be rather interesting, but some companies would probably not have the guts to compete.

That way everyone could cut through all the hype and BS of todays advertisements and trends.
Slipkid
Posted 2009-03-27 1:59 PM (#421924 - in reply to #421894)

The manufactures would never go with that because someone is going to end up looking bad.

Maybe this is something for Consumers Reports.
But then Takamine would win for sure. They hate anything made in the U.S.A.
Guitarzannie
Posted 2009-03-27 5:17 PM (#421925 - in reply to #421894)

Originally posted by Jim A:

Like many new players I went to Guitar Center to look around. I've wanted an Ovation for sometime based on advice from my brother who's been playing since third grade. I saw and played lots of Asian Celebrity models with very pretty finishes but learned a bit about construction; laminate verses solid tops, electronics and tone quality, thanks to my brother. Just didn't see any USA models, they'd need to be a special order.

I got smart and visited a local music shop and quickly saw the difference and quality of a US made model...remember I'm a newbie and learning more each day. The value of a knowledgible sales person is invaluable. He was patient and asked the right questions ultimatly directing me to a slightly used and beautiful Balladeer in my price range and I've never looked back. Looking back on the time spent at Guitar Center and the experience at the local music shop was enlightening. I got a hell of an education listening to the local pros.
Welcome Jim! :)

Michelle
PEZ
Posted 2009-03-27 6:33 PM (#421926 - in reply to #421894)

Personally I think the only one currently being made thats close to the sound you are looking for is this.
http://www.ovationguitars.com/?fa=detail&mid=9
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHJS3IJUR5E&feature=related
watch to the middle of it
The Croce
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcqauC49Xmc&feature=related

If you like the Custom Legend without the cut
Al has NOS 30th aniversaeey 1719 CL
He also has some deep no cut Adamas guitars that are quite resonable price wise.
THe testured tops sound different from the smooth top. Likily closer to what your looking for.

Good luck with the hunt.
Too bad they dropped the Traditional Series Ovations in 2008.

Same problem you had I have had as well.
No one stocking them.

This a problem that really to be addressed

thats my 2 cents
Guitarzannie
Posted 2009-03-28 8:14 PM (#421927 - in reply to #421894)

Pez, of course I would like that guitar. I've got champagne tastes on a beer budget!

Thanks for the clips. They were cool.

Michelle
PEZ
Posted 2009-03-28 8:34 PM (#421928 - in reply to #421894)

Your welcome,
Look at criegs list where they announed high unemployement.
I once got a really really nice ax for $70
He needed at 10 am or was going to jail for not paying his alimony.
twistedlim
Posted 2009-03-28 10:28 PM (#421929 - in reply to #421894)

G,
BT717 has the guitar you need on the for sale board :)
PEZ
Posted 2009-03-29 12:18 AM (#421930 - in reply to #421894)

Originally posted by Jim A:

Welcome
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)